Suspension and Chassis Questions about your suspension? Need chassis advice?

Need help with suspension Rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2015, 10:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1987 Firebird Formula
Engine: 350 TPI
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: .373
Need help with suspension Rebuild

Bought an '87 formula with 183k miles and all stock suspension as far as I can tell (yes it's completely shot), so I need a rebuild.
Going for New struts and shocks, outer tie rod ends, ball joints, and bushings.

The KYB Gas-A-Just looks like a good shock for the rear, so planning on getting that. They don't have an equivalent for the front, so what would be a good shock to get?

Also, what are other good brands/products to look for for the other parts? Any other input on what I should/shouldn't replace. First project car, want to learn, as well as progress my car.
Old 06-16-2015, 10:09 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: 91 G92 Z28
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: 342
Re: Need help with suspension Rebuild

People love the Koni yellow adjustables front (struts) and back (shocks). I'm running Bilsteins front and back on mine. Not adjustable. If I had to do it again I think I'd go with the Koni adjustable setup. I would say the Bilsteins are medium to stiff. It would be nice to soften them up/adjust them for daily driving. Koni and Bilstein are pretty pricey though. I don't know much about the KTB shocks/struts other than they seem to be more affordable that Koni or Bilstein. As far as tie rods, ball joints etc.. you can't go wrong with Moog parts. I think I replaced my whole front end (tie rod ends, ball joints, center link, idler arm, spring insulators, bump stops and so on for somewhere between $250-300. For bushings and sway bar links I used a poly master kit from Energy Suspension that was around $100. Not the easiest to install and very very stiff. Getting the old ones out of parts like the control arms is extremely difficult without a shop press. Replacing with o.e. type rubber would probably give a nicer ride for daily driving though.

If you are looking to start replacing control arms, panhard bars and adding chassis stiffening parts then BMR, UMI and Founders parts are real popular with third gen cars. Do some searches here on TGO. You'll see tons of opinions on all kinds of suspension parts from a lot manufacturers. Good luck with your project.
Old 06-17-2015, 10:03 AM

So I did a lot of looking around and research, and I just can't shell out the money for Bilstein or Koni shocks, so I'm looking at 2 options.
1) Just get excel-g shocks and save up for nicer ones later down the when I've fixed everything else I need and have more money available.
2) Get AGX shocks that will be a slight upgrade from factory, and just call those good.
Like I said, this car will be used mostly for cruises and occasional messing around on the street.
Old 06-17-2015, 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by Zell1luk
So I did a lot of looking around and research, and I just can't shell out the money for Bilstein or Koni shocks, so I'm looking at 2 options.
1) Just get excel-g shocks and save up for nicer ones later down the when I've fixed everything else I need and have more money available.
2) Get AGX shocks that will be a slight upgrade from factory, and just call those good.
Like I said, this car will be used mostly for cruises and occasional messing around on the street.
Anything new will be an upgrade over your old worn out ones. As far as chassis parts go, I'd stick with the Moog parts though. The cost for Moog over no-name Asian made stuff is not enough of a difference IMO to not use a quality part. You may want to consider new springs while you're at it since yours are high mileage and well over 20 years old. My car was in the same boat as yours. 170k on the odo when I got it. Everything...I mean everything was past its expiration date. You'll have to spend quite a few hours, busted knuckles and probably a grand to get it riding proper again, but like you I just use mine on the weekends when the weather is nice. So I expect that investment to last the life of the vehicle.
Old 06-17-2015, 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by greenyone
Anything new will be an upgrade over your old worn out ones. As far as chassis parts go, I'd stick with the Moog parts though. The cost for Moog over no-name Asian made stuff is not enough of a difference IMO to not use a quality part. You may want to consider new springs while you're at it since yours are high mileage and well over 20 years old. My car was in the same boat as yours. 170k on the odo when I got it. Everything...I mean everything was past its expiration date. You'll have to spend quite a few hours, busted knuckles and probably a grand to get it riding proper again, but like you I just use mine on the weekends when the weather is nice. So I expect that investment to last the life of the vehicle.
I was looking to spend around 500-700, but I can shop around really well so I'm not paying nearly what a retail price is. Decided I'm gonna go with option 2, would I be better going agx all around, or agx in front and gas a just rear?
Old 06-17-2015, 01:11 PM
Supreme Member

Received 42 Likes on 31 Posts
Car: '89 Formula
Engine: LS2
Transmission: 4L65E
Axle/Gears: MW 3.42 12 Bolt

Originally Posted by Zell1luk
save up for nicer ones later down the when I've fixed everything else I need and have more money available.
Dampahs and rubbahs - if you don't do those, the rest is a waste.

Save up, read up, "a knowledgeable customer is a repeat customer" - John Nordstrom.
Old 06-17-2015, 01:40 PM
Supreme Member

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts
Car: 84 Z28
Engine: 383 Stroker
Axle/Gears: 3.73

Check out TPIS.com. I got my struts through them. They are custom adjusted for 3rd gen camaros. I have them and like them. Think 140 for a pair. IMO they are great.

-Dan

EDIT- They are right here in MN too. Chaska.
Old 06-17-2015, 01:50 PM
Supreme Member

Received 97 Likes on 62 Posts
Car: 88GTA
Engine: 5.7TPI
Transmission: Auto
Axle/Gears: 3.27

uote:
Originally Posted by Zell1luk View Post
save up for nicer ones later down the when I've fixed everything else I need and have more money available.

And if you're gonna do that, ya might as well go to Sears and get the Monroes Shocks and Strut package they offer ALL the time for like 4-500 bucks. And they install it. I done it before.

If I was in your shoes, Save for what you REALLY want.
Old 06-17-2015, 11:30 PM

Having trouble finding poly bushings for the 36mm front sway bar and the rear spring insulators, anyone know where I can find these?
Old 06-18-2015, 07:55 AM

Hawks carries a 36mm that says it fits 82-92.

http://www.hawksthirdgenparts.com/fr...gy-suspension/

I don't think anyone makes the rear spring insulator. If yours don't look bad re-use them. Otherwise try and check the TGO classifieds, junk yards or ebay for serviceable used ones.
Old 06-18-2015, 10:59 AM
TGO Supporter

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Car: 91 Black Formula KR
Engine: 305 TPI R69/G92
Transmission: Astro A5-Pro 5.0-McCleod
Axle/Gears: US Gear 3.42 Eaton True Trac

Highly recommend the Founders 3 way poly joint rear lower control arms (+Panard bar).

It's designed to articulate, instead of binding like the straight poly ones, mine rides really nice and they have great prices too... you don't need adjustable ones if going stock height (springs may need replacing), if lowering the car, then get adjustable ones and lower control arm relocation brackets....

Subframe connectors will also make a noticeable difference...