Suspension and Chassis Questions about your suspension? Need chassis advice?

Spring removal/torque arm removal?

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2015, 05:55 AM

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Car: 1988 IROC-Z
Engine: 350 TPI
Transmission: T56 swap ongoing
Axle/Gears: 2.77 9-bolt Posi
Spring removal/torque arm removal?

Quick question...

I'm having to pull my transmission. The factory service manual states that before pulling the torque arm, to remove the rear springs, as body damage could result from leaving the springs in place with the torque arm removed.

My intent was to support the car with jackstands on either side of the axle, NEVER to allow the rear axle to drop unsupported.

That being the case, would it still be necessary to remove the rear springs, as long as the rear axle remained supported?
Old 10-01-2015, 07:21 AM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Car: 87 IROC
Engine: L31 350
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 4.10 D44
Re: Spring removal/torque arm removal?

I think the warning is for removing the torque arm (TA) from the rear axle. The spring pressure and weight of the car would rotate the diff pinion up, into the body structure at the rear seat/hump.

Leaving the TA connected to the rear while dismounting the front from the trans, and leaving front of the TA against the trans tunnel sheet metal is typical process during trans R&R. You and the car's sheet metal will be fine.

Supporting the body on the jack stands, letting the rear axle hang from the shock will take a little more spring pressure off the TA... easier to move to disconnect from trans.
Of course, at this point, removing the rear springs is as simple as unbolting the shocksm lower axle, springs fall out. Then re-bolt the shocks to hold the rear end up, sans springs. Installation is reverse of removal.
Old 10-01-2015, 01:05 PM

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Car: 1988 IROC-Z
Engine: 350 TPI
Transmission: T56 swap ongoing
Axle/Gears: 2.77 9-bolt Posi
Re: Spring removal/torque arm removal?

Thanks for the heads up...Once the shocks were disconnected at the bottom, it wasn't even necessary to take the track bar loose in order to pull the springs.

Removed torque arm on both ends...everything is taken apart, except for the two 15mm bolts on the top holding the transmission to the bellhousing. I have a dentist's appointment to go to, I'll go get a 15mm swivel socket while I'm out, and the transmission will be out of the car.