Suspension and Chassis Questions about your suspension? Need chassis advice?

Hello and what do i need exactly

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2015, 08:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1991 Firebird Formula
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: Stock
Hello and what do i need exactly

Hi this will be my first post here on the forums altho i have been a reader for many years. I finally bit the bullet and got a 3rd gen i had an 87 IROC years ago and got hard up for cash and had to sell it i hated that. My new prize as you could say is a 91 firebird formula body. I have begun the long restoration process since the drive shaft was already out when i got it and the way its in my garage i started on the under body first at the rear end. I have been working by my self and well body work paint and small bolt on stuff i can handle but sadly i have to pay a mechanic sometimes to do heavy lifting for me. Got started today removed rear end axle and suspension gas tank and exhaust, so i can scrub the under body well and do my under coat witch i have chosen bed liner or something of the sort most likely. But while the rear suspension and axle is out i need to have it refurbished a bit. I will need for sure a bushing set and maybe some hardware does any one have a list of the bushings and hardware ill need to reinstall the rear axle parts. There all out at the moment bolt sizes would be great to altho i have all the old bolts some are rusted and well like i said this thing is old, my goal is to build the rear suspension back to stock can some one point me in the right direction thanks.
Old 11-15-2015, 01:44 AM
Supreme Member

Received 54 Likes on 45 Posts
Car: '87 IROC
Engine: 5.7 Vortec w/ factory TPI
Transmission: WC T-5
Axle/Gears: 3.45 Posi
Re: Hello and what do i need exactly

Your best bet, if you're going to tear everything apart and replace with new, is to get a factory service manual. In my collection I have a service manual, shop catalog, parts and accessory catalog, electrical diagnosis manual, and an assembly manual.

There are different ones for camaro and firebird and I found all of mine on EBay. The one that has come in the most handy is the parts and accessory catalog. It contains all of the part numbers and descriptions for every part in my car. The edition I have covers 82-92 and cost me about $100, but it is a hard copy. You should be able to find all of the manuals in digital copy by now.
Old 11-15-2015, 02:29 AM

Ok yes that would be very helpful do you have an exact title of the book ? Also that is the plan to almost rebuild the whole car this one is not in bad shape its just very old and worn the body is almost perfect as in no rust just minor spots none no larger that a pea that i have found so far. Ill have some pics soon to upload of the progress
Old 11-15-2015, 05:02 AM

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1982-83-84-8...JVWgGu&vxp=mtr

Would this be the correct one ?
Old 11-15-2015, 07:12 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 2002 Camaro SS
Engine: Built LS
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 3.73

If I ever need/want replacement bolts I normally just take them to a local Ace Hardware since there bolt selection is amazing.

If your suspension is stock/correct you should have a 24mm rear sway bar. Just get a endlink/sway bar poly bushing pack combo. Beyond that it's really what your trying to build the car for. The rears are the same as the 4th gen cars so there is a huge part selection for the rear. I went with Founders for LCA/Panhard etc.

You should fill out your car info profile so when you ask questions everyone can see what your driving.
Old 11-15-2015, 04:36 PM

thanks for the reply i have compiled a basic list so far this project is going to take for ever it seems and i will fill out the car info
Old 11-15-2015, 04:42 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 2002 Camaro SS
Engine: Built LS
Axle/Gears: 3.73

I completely understand, I'm buying parts and upgrading things as I go as well. I'm getting my 91 Formula ready for auto-cross next spring.
Old 11-17-2015, 08:18 PM

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts
Car: 87 Trans Am
Engine: LS1

The bolts for the panhard rod are unique, and you can't find them at your local hardware store, or fastenal OR the dealer... The shank on mine is corroded to the point that I'm not happy about it, so when I was at the scrap yard I found a clean 4th gen and took the like new bolts out of that one for mine.

We don't have an ACE up here, but make sure your bolts are the right class, not just the right size.
Old 11-17-2015, 09:37 PM
Supreme Member

Received 54 Likes on 45 Posts
Car: '87 IROC
Engine: 5.7 Vortec w/ factory TPI
Transmission: WC T-5
Axle/Gears: 3.45 Posi

Originally Posted by xvistaman
Yes that is one of the books I'm talking about. There are two versions, one for camaros and one for birds. Look for the ones that cover 82-92 as they will contain all parts ever used.

Here is a list of what I have...
-1982-1992 camaro Parts and Illustration Catalog (Factory GM hard copy)
-1987 Camaro Electrical Diagnosis Service manual Supplement (Factory GM hard copy)
-1987 Camaro shop manual (Factory GM hard copy)
-1987 Camaro Assembly Manual (Millenium Industries Hard Copy)
-1986-1987 Camaro Shop Manuals (CD by Dave Graham)

I purchased most of my books off of EBay, but like I said before, I have had mine for a long time and you should be able to find digital copies of everything I have.