Suspension and Chassis Questions about your suspension? Need chassis advice?

Replaced PS Pump, now hard to turn

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2016, 03:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1987 Camaro IROC-Z28
Engine: 5.7
Transmission: 700R4
Replaced PS Pump, now hard to turn

So, the car had been sitting for about 5 years and I've been putting it back on the road and am replacing pieces as needed. PS Pump was leaking about a quart a week, so I ordered a remanufactured unit from Autozone with the reservoir and replaced it today. New one doesn't leak...but it also doesn't seem to be working. After installing it I filled the reservoir with PS fluid and cranked the car, then turned the steering wheel all the way to the left then all the way to the right a couple times, checked it and the fluid didn't go down at all. So I drove it around the block and couldn't turn the wheel with one hand, two hands was mandatory. Put it up on a jack and turned the wheel all the way to the right, counted to 10, all the way to the left, counted to 10, and repeat for 25 times. PS Fluid did not go down, no foam, no bubbles. I did not add a full quart of PS fluid and it's still passed the full mark as I thought it was going to go down and overfilled it a bit. With the PS Reservoir cap off, I opened up the throttle a bit, and with an increase in engine RPM I can see the PS Fluid level drop a little and then return when the RPMs drop back to idle. So, it APPEARS that the pump is pumping...but there is NO power assist. The old pump worked perfectly fine except it leaked like crazy.

Is there anything I can try or check before having to exchange this out? It's not horrible, but it's a bit of pain and messy removing the pump, removing the pulley, pressing the pulley on the new pump and installing the new pump.
Old 01-03-2016, 02:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1987 Camaro IROC-Z28
Engine: 5.7
Transmission: 700R4
Re: Replaced PS Pump, now hard to turn

I unhooked the return line and started the car. It puts out a lot of fluid. So the pump is pumping, but still no power assist.

My Christmas vacation ends today, so I go back to work tonight and don't get another day off for 3 weeks, so I gooped up every sealing surface I could find on my old pump, uninstalled the new pump, removed the pulley and bracket, and installed them on the old pump, installed the old pump back in, filled the reservoir up and lifted the car and turned the wheel lock to lock about 10 times with the engine off. Fluid actually came pouring out of the reservoir when turning the wheel lock to lock. Started the car and drove around, Power Steering works perfect, just leaks like crazy.

So, I will be taking the new power steering pump back, ofcourse they don't have one in stock and I'll have to wait for the new "new" one to be ordered. I still don't know why the new pump didn't have power assist when fluid was pumping. I'm going to just assume that it wasn't pumping a high enough pressure.