Suspension and Chassis Questions about your suspension? Need chassis advice?

Need suspension 1.0.1 For 84 Iron Duke

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2016, 06:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1984 camaro
Engine: 2.5L 4 cylinder (151 Iron Duke)
Transmission: 4 speed Saginaw
Axle/Gears: 3.43
Need suspension 1.0.1 For 84 Iron Duke

I have an 84 iron duke that i'm restoring to a daily driver but i'd like to upgrade the suspension to match standards for a larger engine and higher speeds (There are many dirt roads in my area so multi applicable suggestions are appreciated). This is the first time I've dabble in suspension so I wanted to ask for an order of operations for front and rear suspension as well as suggestions for brand, addons (SFC, Wonder Bar etc,) and what order I should do this in so I don't have to go back over myself. Just a simple list will do. From there I can self educate. Sorry i'm still a noob

a format like the following would be awsome

order: Part : Brand
Old 01-06-2016, 09:14 PM

Received 120 Likes on 101 Posts
Car: 87 IROC L98
Engine: 588 Alcohol BBC
Transmission: Powerglide
Axle/Gears: Ford 9"/31 spline spool/4.86
Re: Need suspension 1.0.1 For 84 Iron Duke

Budget? It's easy to make suggestions but it can also go way over what someone is willing to pay. Estimated full suspension upgrade will probably be around $2000.

Replace whatever is broken, damaged or worn.
If going to a V8, you'll need some heavier front springs to carry the weight.
Old 01-07-2016, 08:11 AM
Supreme Member

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Car: 88 IROC
Engine: 97 5.7 Vortec LT4 hotcam
Transmission: 700 r4
Axle/Gears: 3.73

Alky is right.

But at the low end of the deal, Id replace:

Front:
Ball Joints, A-Arm Bushings, Tie Rod Ends, Drag Link, Center Link, and Strut Mounts. Moog For all.
At same time, put on a set of KYB Excel-G struts. Then get the front end aligned to specs from this site, not the factory settings.

Sway bar bushings and end links: Energy Suspension

Rear:
KYB shocks. Possibly rear springs. Energy Suspension sway bar bushings and end-links. LCA bushings (or upgrade to aftermarket pieces).

Of course like Alky said, depending on what you plan to do with the car will have an effect on some of those parts. Springs, shocks/struts/ sway bar could change.

Oh and yes, SFC and wonder bar are good add ons, but not 100% necessary. Goes back to budget and plan. There is a ton of information on this site, may just take some searching.
Old 01-10-2016, 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by 3rdgenmaro
Alky is right.

But at the low end of the deal, Id replace:

Front:
Ball Joints, A-Arm Bushings, Tie Rod Ends, Drag Link, Center Link, and Strut Mounts. Moog For all.
At same time, put on a set of KYB Excel-G struts. Then get the front end aligned to specs from this site, not the factory settings.

Sway bar bushings and end links: Energy Suspension

Rear:
KYB shocks. Possibly rear springs. Energy Suspension sway bar bushings and end-links. LCA bushings (or upgrade to aftermarket pieces).

Of course like Alky said, depending on what you plan to do with the car will have an effect on some of those parts. Springs, shocks/struts/ sway bar could change.

Oh and yes, SFC and wonder bar are good add ons, but not 100% necessary. Goes back to budget and plan. There is a ton of information on this site, may just take some searching.
Ok, thank you. I'm starting with the front end. Its all 31 years old.
Old 01-10-2016, 09:32 PM
Supreme Member

Received 76 Likes on 66 Posts
Car: 1991 Z28 Vert
Engine: 383 single plane efi
Transmission: T-56
Axle/Gears: 8.8 with 3.73s

As was said it is easy to sink several thousand into the suspension of these cars. Even in used parts it's easy to go over a grand with shipping costs.

If you're starting with the front end don't do springs until you have the engine in it that you are going to keep in it. IE if it's a 4 cylinder right now and you want an 8 cylinder wait until you have that in. I would also wait for struts, unless they are blown. My reason for that is unless you plan on doing some autocross or drag race most parts stores stock or can order you decent struts. You can try them for a day and if you like them keep them on, if not take them off and return/exchange them.

Start with outer subframe connectors, I like UMI but all the brands have decent products. If you can, wait until they all have their holiday sales, I think the next is memorial day....

Then you could and should start with replacing all of the wearable items like the joints on the steering linkage. Buy a wonder bar from top down solutions. Buy a strut tower brace-any brand will work fine. Buy the adjustable aftermarket strut mounts from Founders/Spohn/UMI/BMR with a good alignment would be nice but if you aren't going to do any competitive driving a set of stock mounts would be fine for you. Instead of replacing the joints on the panhard bar and lower control arms I would just purchase new aftermarket control arms and panhard bar from any of the manufacturers I listed. It will be less work for you! At the same time as the lower control arms I would also get the relocation brackets for them.
Old 02-19-2016, 12:23 AM

Thanks for all info guys. I'm keeping it an Iron Duke so I just need what would be best for that. I prefer a car that can handle the corners. I drive a lot of curvy roads but im not looking for top end performance just a solid build a bit better than stock. This is my daily driver that I want to have a little cake and eat too with.

I've just reserved my tax return so its time to put some new parts on. I wanted to ask about the KYB Excel-G struts and shocks. Was that the suggestion for the iron duke? I'd hate to put them on and have my car sit higher in the front end lol. I just need to replace worn parts atm. I also need to know if i can get away with just doing the sway bar links bushings tire rod ends for now then going back in to do the center link or should i just suck it up and do it all at once? (guessing struts and tire end rods should be done at once so i can get it aligned?)

(I'm about to pick up and flip a 90s Taurus SHO to fund for more parts)