Suspension and Chassis Questions about your suspension? Need chassis advice?

Is it hard to change front wheel bearing?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2016, 05:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1991 Camaro RS
Engine: 305 TBI
Transmission: 4 Speed Automatic
Is it hard to change front wheel bearing?

I've never changed one before,and certainly not on my Camaro. What tools are needed? Will I need a grappler? Are there ways to get the old bearing out without a grappler (if needed)? I'm certain I have bad bearing. Whenever I turn right I get a low tone squeak (going slow) and a loud grinding sound when I'm going fast.
Old 02-13-2016, 08:25 PM
Supreme Member

Received 57 Likes on 52 Posts
Car: '82 z28
Engine: L83 5.7
Transmission: 700r4-1985
Axle/Gears: 3.42 posi
Re: Is it hard to change front wheel bearing?

very easy to change wheel bearings-they are "old skool" tapered roller bearings-once wheel and caliper have been removed,there is a castellated nut and cotter pin under the dust cap that need removed and disc should pull off as long as outer bearing hasn't welded to the spindle-the outer race of the failed bearing can be driven out of the rotor with a punch(it should be a tight press fit in the rotor)sometimes the bearing inner race will rotate on the spindle and wear the bearing fit,spindle will need replaced if worn there.Going back together,just make sure the bearing preload is correct and enough grease used.
Old 02-13-2016, 10:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: '96 Camaro-Vsux -- SOLD, '84 Z/28
Engine: 3.8L, 305 SBC
Transmission: 4L60E, T-5
Axle/Gears: 3.08s, 3.23s
Re: Is it hard to change front wheel bearing?

A very easy way to tell if your front wheel bearings are bad is you just simply jack up the wheel in question. Spin the wheel around and you should hear a grinding sound that is OBVIOUSLY not the disc brake pads dragging. You'll also notice how quickly the wheel stops (granted the brakes aren't dragging). If your wheel bearings actually cavitated/pitted, you'll be able to see that on the races. Also, grab the wheel that's off the ground on the 12'oclock and 6 and try to see if there's excessive play.

I had this problem on my f body. I took apart the spindle and looked at both the races on timken bearings. They both looked very smooth. But when I put the spindle back on with the CORRECT pre-load on the spindle nut (very important), it still made this grindy sound. Basically at high speeds for me the front wheel bearings DRONED soo bad. It was very annoying.