Suspension and Chassis Questions about your suspension? Need chassis advice?

lost power steering... new parts!

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2016, 09:31 PM

Received 56 Likes on 39 Posts
lost power steering... new parts!

On my 92Z, the power steering pump looked like it was starting to leak, so while working on a few items this winter, I ordered a new pump and power steering gear (didn't care for the feel of the old one). I had recently replaced the hoses and cooler line so I figured I was good to go. Installed all the new stuff. Bleed out the system. Started up and went for a drive.

Started getting momentary losses of power steering... started getting more. figured I needed to bleed again. Pulled in, raised wheels, bleed it again. back and forth. Put it down, started it up, NO POWER STEERING... at all. pulled the return line, started it for 2 secs, pumped a bunch of fluid.

Raised wheels and turned wheel back and forth, then started car, turned wheels back and forth... no difference in feel. I have check the pump shaft, the turning of the pulley... I am lost here. I saw other threads with similar problems including multiple part replacements but no one came back to tell how they fixed it!

So I am getting flow, but no assistance...any one have something similar happen? Had it power steering, then lost it!
Old 04-03-2016, 01:33 PM

Received 56 Likes on 39 Posts
Re: lost power steering... new parts!

After a long sleepless night.... literally... thinking about....The next day I started my truck to observe how that system worked....then I started the Z... I pinched the hoses, watched the fluid... nothing. I rev'd the engine to see it hoses were doing anything odd...nothing... then I got in the car and checked... still no power steering...then I rev'd the engine to see if I got any assistance at higher rev's... nothing... then.. BURP... power steering!!!. I ran the wheel lock to lock, at 3,000 rpm... several times...then dropped to idle.. and I still have power steering!!!!...

I had run lock to lock but always at idle... seems it needed the rpms to burp the last air from the pump... never said anything about that in the bleeding instructions...

So for anyone searching and reading this in the future..... bleed the system at 3,000 rpm!!! (and avoid the sleepless night I had)