Suspension and Chassis Questions about your suspension? Need chassis advice?

Steering wobble, drag car, launching and braking

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2016, 09:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Steering wobble, drag car, launching and braking

1992 camaro RS

I've experienced a bad steering wheel wobble at the finish line if I slam on the brakes really had, so bad it rips the steering wheel out of my hands.
I added more power to the car this winter and now it is able to pull the front wheels off of the starting line. Yesterday, one pass after I launched and the wheels landed (you can really feel it land) I got the bad steering wobble again, I obviously lifted and coasted down the track and the wobble slowly worked itself out.
Jacked the car up and checked everything out and nothing seems loose or broken. I ended up just lowering my launch rpm so it wouldn't yank the wheels off the ground the rest of the day.

The front end is completely stock except for new rotors and pads put on a couple years ago. I do have the skinny tires up front and have the stock steering box just pulled off the power steering pump.

Asking around someone thinks that its all just old worn out stock parts that can't take the shock from landing after launch or shock from a hard braking and suggested getting the double adjustable struts to soften the landing.

Any ideas what is actually wrong and what to fix besides struts to soften the landing?

Thanks
Old 04-10-2016, 11:53 AM

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Re: Steering wobble, drag car, launching and braking

First you have to ck every part of the frt end and steering/suspension. If all is well you have experienced the infamous "death wobble". Not fun but repairable.
Ck all steering linkage for play and replace as necessary. Ck steering box to be sure it's tight to frame. Ck frame for cracks around box. If you lightened the frt. you might need a wonder bar.
On mine the ultimate fix was a steering stabilizer and a bump steer kit. These cars due to the strut style frt. have a lot of travel and a lot of bump steer. I bought my stuff from Quay. The steering stabilizer is a VW unit and you can make the brackets.
Old 04-11-2016, 08:29 AM
Banned

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

I would def. check everything out well on the front end like mentioned above.

If your running stock components on the front and are wheel standing that sounds like a receipt for failure.

If everything checks out ok I would start with replacing the front suspension (struts & springs).

Craig
Old 04-11-2016, 09:34 AM

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Every third gen stocker and super stocker wheelstands with stock frt. K member and factory steering. Ck out Ed Quay and the stock super stock forums.
Old 04-11-2016, 09:38 AM
Banned

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

I'm referring to factory struts for the most part along with factory clapped out springs.
Old 04-11-2016, 12:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 85 trans am
Engine: 350

im having the same problem with my 85 trans am under braking the front end drops and pulls found a oblong hole on lower control arm where stabilizer links attach would this be the prolem