Suspension and Chassis Questions about your suspension? Need chassis advice?

Sfc's in Wilmington NC?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2016, 12:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 92 Z28 Camaro
Engine: 355 TPI
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 10 Bolt 2.73
Sfc's in Wilmington NC?

Does anyone know any shops that will weld in sfc's in the Wilmington NC area? I've called like 30+ and they all said no and didn't even seem to have any idea what they were... One exhaust shop guy said "yeah, I'll give it a shot" which sounds kinda like something I should avoid if possible. And one custom car building shop told me "yeah we can do it just fine. It'll take about 6-8 hours, and your total will be about $719"....

Unless I don't have any clue about the install procedure of subframe connectors, I'm going to assume that it is not a $700 job.
Old 04-12-2016, 07:28 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: GTA
Engine: L98
Re: Sfc's in Wilmington NC?

You should not have to go to a custom builder. Any decent body shop should be able to install them. Just go there in person and explain to them what they are exactly since it's kind of an odd request to most shops/people. In my case, I was able to talk my local GM dealer into installing them. Cost around $250 (ten or so years ago).
Old 04-12-2016, 08:44 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1,667 Likes on 1,265 Posts
Car: Yes
Engine: Usually
Transmission: Sometimes
Axle/Gears: Behind me somewhere

Was just over there this morning... nice part of the country. Was at State not long after.

Not too much racing activity anywhere around there, is there?

There's people that build race cars EVERYWHERE around there. Race tracks in about every little town. (and some big ones, and some places that aren't towns at all) Go hang out at acoupla tracks. Watch who WINS. Find out who does their chassis work. Go ask THEM who can put on a set of SFCs.
Old 04-13-2016, 02:27 AM

Originally Posted by sofakingdom
Was just over there this morning... nice part of the country. Was at State not long after.

Not too much racing activity anywhere around there, is there?

There's people that build race cars EVERYWHERE around there. Race tracks in about every little town. (and some big ones, and some places that aren't towns at all) Go hang out at acoupla tracks. Watch who WINS. Find out who does their chassis work. Go ask THEM who can put on a set of SFCs.
Thanks guys, I appreciate the help. I was FINALLY able to source a shop that would do it for $120 and seemed to know exactly what the drill was to install them. Thursday morning I'm taking my car there.

Also, there really isn't a whole lot of racing activity around here to be honest. As far as I know the closest track to me is in Jacksonville which is where I went to race last year. Also where I discovered that my car still has a lot of tuning to do, but that's a whole different topic.
Old 04-13-2016, 07:52 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1,667 Likes on 1,265 Posts
Car: Yes
Engine: Usually
Transmission: Sometimes
Axle/Gears: Behind me somewhere

there really isn't a whole lot of racing activity around here
Really!!!!

That's not been my experience AT ALL around NC. Yesterday as I was passing through your area (Raleigh, Fayetteville, etc.) there were billboards every coupla miles for race tracks. In fact there's this small sanctioning organization with roots around there, you may have heard of it, it's called NASCAR, seems like EVERY small town in that state has a track that runs races related to that organization whatever it is, and FOR SURE has people that own and build cars that run at those tracks. THOSE are the type of people (the right skill set) you want to be dealing with for chassis work.
Old 04-22-2016, 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by sofakingdom
Really!!!!

That's not been my experience AT ALL around NC. Yesterday as I was passing through your area (Raleigh, Fayetteville, etc.) there were billboards every coupla miles for race tracks. In fact there's this small sanctioning organization with roots around there, you may have heard of it, it's called NASCAR, seems like EVERY small town in that state has a track that runs races related to that organization whatever it is, and FOR SURE has people that own and build cars that run at those tracks. THOSE are the type of people (the right skill set) you want to be dealing with for chassis work.
Really? Near me the closest track is in Jacksonville. That's the drag strip I last went to as a matter of fact. That's about it for racing activity within about an hour of me as far as I know. Anyways I found a shop where the owner has a 1970 chevelle SS that he built himself with a 540 in it who welded in my spohn SFC's for $150. He originally quoted $120, but he said the subframe where they welded in was all bent up from years of the car being jacked up. I didn't know what he meant until I got the car back and looked under it and saw where he had to straighten all the metal to weld them in. Anyways, the car launches MUCH better now. It's actually absurd how much better my car launches with them, I had no idea it would make that level of a difference.

The only big Motorsport thing around me seems to be off-roading/mudding. Anyways though, maybe I'm just too coastal?
Old 04-22-2016, 10:46 PM

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Car: 1992 Z28 1991 RS
Engine: LB9 LO3
Transmission: 5 speeds

Not sure if you're a native of NC, but there's a local circle track in almost every town here. Many of the local racers weld up there own chassis's or at least know "the guy" to go to. Just drive any back road and you'll see a barn with a car trailer covered in stickers sitting beside it. These are the guys Sofa was recommending that you go see. Anyway, glad you got it done and not a bad price either.
Old 04-23-2016, 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by Ty92Z
Not sure if you're a native of NC, but there's a local circle track in almost every town here. Many of the local racers weld up there own chassis's or at least know "the guy" to go to. Just drive any back road and you'll see a barn with a car trailer covered in stickers sitting beside it. These are the guys Sofa was recommending that you go see. Anyway, glad you got it done and not a bad price either.
Yeah, I know there are throughout most of the state, but the specific area that I'm in seem to have almost nobody into racing. I am a native of this area, I've lived here pretty much my whole life actually, but I'll check again in a bit for some of those circle tracks because I haven't heard of or seen any right in my area.

On another note, do you guys think it's worth it to also buy the alston weld in SFCs? To use in conjunction with my spohn ones? I've heard of a couple people doing that, and I think it seems to be an interesting idea.

EDIT: According to Google, the closest race track to me is in fact the one I went drag racing at back in October/November. Next closest is 50 minutes away and much less popular. From looking at a map it seems that there are tracks ALL OVER this state as you guys have said, EXCEPT for where I'm at. Where I'm at is for retired people and beach bums primarily.

Last edited by Prodigious; 04-23-2016 at 11:28 AM.