Suspension and Chassis Questions about your suspension? Need chassis advice?

Loose Steering and rubbing

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2016, 12:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1984 Camaro Z28
Engine: 350 SBC swap/ 650cfm Edelbrock carb
Transmission: T-5 Manual Transmission
Axle/Gears: 7.5" 10 bolt with 3.23 gears
Loose Steering and rubbing

Hey guys!

So I have my 1984 Camaro Z28 with a 350 SBC, and I'm having trouble diagnosing the steering and I don't want to keep throwing money at it hoping something will work haha.

So the problem I am having is when the car is running and I turn the wheels all the way in either direction, it will whine and squeal and doesn't feel like it wants to stop turning. I have changed both the inner and outer tie rod ends (exactly matched to what the length of the old ones were) and it fixed a bit of the slop in the steering, then I tried tightening the steering box but that didn't change much, and it's next to maxed out. I then tightened the P/S belt and not much help either. Also made sure the P/S fluid was topped up. It also rubs a fair amount on the inner fender walls in both directions. Now from what I can tell, the guy before me lowered the front end a tad bit (maybe 1-2 inches). I have 215/70R15's on the fronts. I have yet to get an alignment done, but an skeptical it will fix the problem. I am thinking there are a few culprits, but want to know others opinions and experience. I am thinking maybe Steering box, P/S pump, center link... which might fix the slop, but am not sure how to fix the rubbing.

Anyone have any ideas? Thanks!

Last edited by ShaneTrain; 05-07-2016 at 12:28 PM.
Old 05-07-2016, 04:18 PM
Supreme Member

Received 315 Likes on 258 Posts
Car: 89RS vert
Engine: Erod
Transmission: 4L65e
Axle/Gears: BW, 3.27
Re: Loose Steering and rubbing

70 series tire is taller than stock.That could explain your rubbing issues.Though some rubbing is not uncommon.That tire is almost 1" taller than a 65 series OE tire would've been.
Your sure its 70, stock would've been 215/65r15.
Squealing could also mean their is air in the system.Have you bled it?
Old 05-07-2016, 06:08 PM

That might be a reason. I just replaced the tires with what the old owner had on it, not even thinking it might be a different size.
As for the p/s, I didn't even think to bleed the system. I will give that a try and see what happens. Thanks for the info and advice!
Old 06-03-2016, 06:32 PM

Update: I checked the center link to make sure the joints were tight and they were ok. I changed out the steering box and it fixed the slop/loose issue! As far as I can tell, the rubbing on the inner fender wall stopped because I pre-set the box on the first turn about 2 inches away from the wall. Steering is nice and tight now, and returns to center after a turn. As for the whining, most of it stopped. just does it a tad bit, but I'm pretty sure that is a p/s pump issue. It's mainly when it's cold and reversing to one particular direction. When it's warm it gets better. I used GM P/S fluid as well as GM techs recommended it.

Just thought I would share in case anyone else ran in to this.
Old 06-05-2016, 03:13 PM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 92 Camaro RS
Engine: LS1
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 10bolt w3.42 Torsen

Great update! Center link and Idler arm are the only two wear items left to replace. I replaced all my steering linkage at once. It's one of those things where when one piece wears out, the rest is only a few miles to go. Pitman are is a non-wear item, it shouldn't need replaced.

Order from rock auto, jegs or summit. I recommend moog. There is a thread going where several guys got moog idler arms that were not correct geometry/angle as stock but mine is fine.
Old 06-05-2016, 03:26 PM
Supreme Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Car: 91camaro rs,2014 silverado 5.3L
Engine: 5.7Lcarb,5.3L
Transmission: 700-r4, 6L80
Axle/Gears: strange 3.73's

Originally Posted by ShaneTrain
Update: I checked the center link to make sure the joints were tight and they were ok. I changed out the steering box and it fixed the slop/loose issue! As far as I can tell, the rubbing on the inner fender wall stopped because I pre-set the box on the first turn about 2 inches away from the wall. Steering is nice and tight now, and returns to center after a turn. As for the whining, most of it stopped. just does it a tad bit, but I'm pretty sure that is a p/s pump issue. It's mainly when it's cold and reversing to one particular direction. When it's warm it gets better. I used GM P/S fluid as well as GM techs recommended it.

Just thought I would share in case anyone else ran in to this.
where did you get your replacement steering box?
Old 06-05-2016, 06:01 PM

I bought mine through Partsource. Just an aftermarket one through A1-Cardone. Works a lot better than what was in there!