Suspension and Chassis Questions about your suspension? Need chassis advice?

Rear end off center

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2016, 03:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 91 ws6
Engine: Carb'd 334 stroker
Transmission: T5
Hello all, recently I picked up a 92 formula for a good price..seems in good shape, minus the nose. This thing was in a front end collision with a fence post, bent the front frame rail at the core support. Rest of the frame looks fine, all body panels line up nicely, doors close like a new car, hatch is lined up..
Pulling the has tank out a few days ago, I found what was catching the rear wheels (assumed e-brake locked, never actually looked) and saw the drivers side wheel was running on the bump stop.
It has the factory wheels and spacers, factory size 16" tires. The passenger side is a good 3-3.25" ish out from the bump stop, so the rear end isn't centered. Even with the panhard and everything removed, it still sits over some.
Upon looking at the frame, it appears this thing was also in a rear end collision at some point..frame rail on the pass side just behind the bottom of the gas tank is kinked a little.

Now I looked at the rest of the frame, and I can see no other evidence or damage on the rest of the frame in front of that point, and the 7 or so inches up in front of the core support.

Why else would the rear be that off centered?

Last edited by dixie wrecked; 05-14-2016 at 05:14 PM.
Old 05-11-2016, 05:05 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1,664 Likes on 1,262 Posts
Car: Yes
Engine: Usually
Transmission: Sometimes
Axle/Gears: Behind me somewhere
Re: Rear end off center

Why else would the rear be that off centered?
Because the Panhard bar that used to be there was bent/broken/ineffective/dead bushings/etc.

Even with the panhard and everything removed
And without ANY Panhard bar there, there's nothing at all to center it; it just goes wherever it feels like.

Install a known good Panhard bar. I suggest aftermarket, simpler is better, all you need is yerbasic tubing with 2 bushings at the ends. No rod ends, no adjustment, just buy one and stick it on.
Old 05-11-2016, 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by sofakingdom

Because the Panhard bar that used to be there was bent/broken/ineffective/dead bushings/etc.

And without ANY Panhard bar there, there's nothing at all to center it; it just goes wherever it feels like.

Install a known good Panhard bar. I suggest aftermarket, simpler is better, all you need is yerbasic tubing with 2 bushings at the ends. No rod ends, no adjustment, just buy one and stick it on.
Alrighty, I have a spare one that I can weld up to be adjustable to test purposes. Thanks!
Old 05-14-2016, 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by sofakingdom

Alright, just threw it back together. Put in newer/taller springs that arent sagged + a known good stock panhard off my 90 t/a. It's better..but still noticeably off. The wheel no longer catches on the bump stop, atleast. On the driver's side, the wheel is approx 1inch off the bump stop, pass side is a good 2-2.5 inch off.

I've had 6 birds in the last few years, one stock height, one lifted 4", current one lowered 1", the rest I don't remember, none were like this.

If this was caused by the frame being bent in front of the axle/mounting points, wouldn't that be a pretty significant bent to cause the rear to **** over like that?
I ask because crawling around under it, I find zero evidence of a bend.
It appears straight, just pushed over to the pass side. The factory spacers are all there as well, same size wheels/tires on both sides.