Suspension and Chassis Questions about your suspension? Need chassis advice?

Front Passenger LCA Bolt Wont Line Up

Old 06-28-2016, 06:57 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 2002 Camaro SS
Engine: Built LS
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 3.73
Front Passenger LCA Bolt Wont Line Up

Alright guys I need some help and I'm about to pull my hair out.

I'm doing a full suspension rebuild in the front, big brakes koni's etc. I will say the driver side is complete. I've installed new MOOG bushings on the LCAs.

For some reason I cannot get the passgener LCA bolt to line up on the left side only (I circled the side) of the smaller bushing side. I can get the bolt through fine on the right ear and coming in the center on the left ear. Only the part I circled is off while installed.

Things I've tried:
-Resetting multiple times.
-Cleaning the area thoroughly.
-Grease
-Hammering the LCA in the direction I wanted to hole to go.
-Using a pry bar
-I've hammered a chisel through which seems to force it into place but it goes right back after.

I will say the drive side LCA slipped right in and it was very easy. The passenger lca is much tighter and I have to hammer it in on the left side(smaller bushing).

The bolt goes fine without the lca in place. Is it possible that the ear on the lca is off somehow now?
Attached Thumbnails Front Passenger LCA Bolt Wont Line Up-img_0161.jpg   Front Passenger LCA Bolt Wont Line Up-img_0165.jpg   Front Passenger LCA Bolt Wont Line Up-img_0166.jpg   Front Passenger LCA Bolt Wont Line Up-img_0167.jpg  
Old 06-29-2016, 01:41 AM
Supreme Member

Received 70 Likes on 46 Posts
Car: 1991 Firebird
Engine: 3.1L V6
Re: Front Passenger LCA Bolt Wont Line Up

Just a suggestion but try putting that side in first before the other side that goes in easier.
Old 06-29-2016, 05:35 AM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 1988 IROC-Z camaro
Engine: 355 TPI
Transmission: tko 500
Axle/Gears: Dana 44 3.31 posi pbr brakes

Your just going to have to keep trying different combinations of things until it goes together. I know it's not exactly what you want to hear but the lower control arms on these cars are probably the hardest thing to change out. You will get it but it might take you disassembling what you already did to make it all fall together.
Old 06-29-2016, 07:22 AM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Car: 87 IROC
Engine: L31 350
Axle/Gears: 4.10 D44

x2 what CharcoalBird said... get the rear bolt in first, then try the front.

If the frame "ears" are too tight to the LCA, get a piece of all-thread and some nuts and washers to use as a spreader. Slide the rod into one hole, install washer, 2 nut, washer, then slide the rod through the other hole. Spin the nuts opposite until they are pushing the ears apart, and tighten to spread as necessary. Do a little at a time, don't spread too far (you can then put the nuts on the outside and squeeze the ear closer). You shouldn't have to hammer the LCA into place, nor do you want it to fit sloppy loose.
Old 06-29-2016, 08:53 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1,662 Likes on 1,261 Posts
Car: Yes
Engine: Usually
Transmission: Sometimes
Axle/Gears: Behind me somewhere

You can spread the "ears" on the K-member as much as you want (within reason... like, enough to get the bushing in, plus a bit of wiggle room); the bolt will pull them back where they belong. After all it puts acoupla tons of clamping force on that flimsy little speck of sheet metal.

The reason the bolt won't go in is merely that the rubber is holding the sleeve in some position other than where it will ultimately end up after installation. That's all it is: the bushing will simply have a bit of compression in it at all times. It will relax and assume that shape within a matter of hours after you get it together.

So, spread the "ears" out first. All of them, both sets. Then put in the bolt you're having trouble with, which will probably require that the CA not be quite "straight". Then warp it over to where you can put in the bolt you CAN get in. Spread both sets of "ears" to where the CA slips easily in and out of them when approximately in its home.

NEVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER FOR ANY REASON AT ANY TIME use a hammer to put suspension parts together. It's NONSENSE. All that stuff is made to be flexible and springy; all that will happen by beating on it is, it'll boioioioinnnnngggggng the hammer back off of itself, with a fresh dent left behind in something. YUUUUUJJJJE pliers, C-clamps, prybars, and ASSEMBLY TECHNIQUES, that allow you to put steady pressure on something to PUSH it into place, is AHELLUVALOT more effective than just pounding on it and watching it spring back every time. I can't forget one time I had my little bro's tire shop do a bunch of work to one of my cars, including putting a sway bar on it. I show up to pick up my car and hear a bunch of pounding going on. I go out and look, and Skilllet is out there waylaying my brand-new sway bar with a hammer, trying to beat it into wherever it was supposed to go and get the bolt holes to line up. He's swearing at it and bitching about "I've been trying to put this thing in for an hour, must be the wrong one, it doesn't fit". I was incensed. I reached into his toolbox, picked up a pair of water pump pliers, and squeezed it into place, put the bolt in by hand, and started the nut... took me less than 10 seconds to put it together right in front of his dumbfounded face in my suit and tie, WITHOUT A HAMMER. My poor sway bar has his p***er tracks all over it TO THIS DAY from him beating the crap out of it pointlessly. Don't do that to your stuff. Use your brain instead.
Old 06-29-2016, 09:08 AM

OK some good thoughts guys. MoJoe, I think the bushing is what is super tight, the ears on the LCA seem to slide in pretty smoothly. The bushing is longer then the ears.

I'll try again tonight, since it won't be 90+ when I get home lol
Old 06-29-2016, 09:21 AM

Thanks, Sofa that makes sense. I have a through bolt at home I can use at to spread the ears on the car to help get it in. Everything else has gone in fine, no hammers needed lol
Old 06-29-2016, 05:31 PM

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. After spreading out the ears on the car and some wiggling and cussing I finally got the bolt through. I 100% had to start from the trouble side otherwise I don't think it would of ever lined up.
Old 06-29-2016, 06:11 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1,662 Likes on 1,261 Posts
Car: Yes
Engine: Usually
Transmission: Sometimes
Axle/Gears: Behind me somewhere

After ... some ... cussing
I didn't mention it, but that always helps: ya gotta SPEAK TO IT IN ITS OWN LANGUAGE if you want it to take you seriously.