Suspension and Chassis Questions about your suspension? Need chassis advice?

Need suspension advice

Old 06-29-2016, 12:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1991 Camaro RS
Engine: 5.8l Aluminum LSX
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 10 Bolt 3.42 "Spooled"
Need suspension advice

Hey guys, weird one for you. I've got a 91 RS i Drift with locally. Now I'm swapping to front coilovers soon (I'm also swapping to a steering rack, yes the inner pivot width will be correct [19ish inches] and I'll be mounting it custom for anti ackerman. spare me the talk. It's all necessary for steering angle) I might swap to a different upper mounting style for the coilovers though... i haven't decided for sure.

I haven't had the chance to check weight or corner balancing yet. But i wanted to hear your opinions on spring rates? I know a lot of you don't know much about drifting but honestly a nice neutral balance works very well. From research i was looking 1000/225 or 1000 250 area (non coil over obviously)

It's hard to pinpoint speed or turning agression. Tracks very from auto cross style, technical, lock to lock nonsense, to 120mph entry speeds through long drawn out sweepers that tighten or loosen.

The battery is in the back passenger seat area and it's got a 5 gallon fuel cell above the diff. Drivers seat is six inches back and bolted to the floor (Driver is 6 foot) Lots of weight reduction already and I'm getting rid of the rear glass for aluminum louvers (open air) and switching to an all aluminum LS here soon.

Rear will probably be weight Jacks unless i get ambitious and decided to go with UMIs double rod end coilover kit. But That would require i ditch my konis for something custom from afco.

Anyways. I'll post some pictures and I'd like to hear opinions! (Stock sway bars) depending on how i build my control arms i might not run a front sway bar, but let's just assume for now i have one.

Just ask if you want/need info/pictures on the car.

Thank you guys!

Update: I guess I should point out out it needs to be pretty far on the stiff side as it'll sit fairly low.

THE BIGGEST THING I NEED TO KNOW IS APPROX. EQUIVELANT SPRING RATES BETWEEN STOCK LOCATION AND COILOVER IN THE FRONT. I was never good at physics. Just geometry.

Last edited by WoodenRegent; 06-29-2016 at 12:17 PM. Reason: Main question
Old 06-29-2016, 12:58 PM
Banned

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts
Re: Need suspension advice

We carry Viking and Afco for 3rd gen. rear coil-overs.

As for the front we have sold a few sets of Afco coil-overs, we had a set of Viking fronts that we installed, there were a few fitment issues that viking is currently working on.

Just keep in mind spring rates determine the amount of lowering you can achieve with coil-overs. If you are running a stiff rate and want it to be low you very well may have to run a shorter than normal spring height to achieve the ride height your looking for.

Craig