Suspension and Chassis Questions about your suspension? Need chassis advice?

Bent spindle? Spindle distance from rim

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2016, 03:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1991 Firebird Formula
Engine: 5.7L TPI
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: 3.23
Bent spindle? Spindle distance from rim

Hello all, got a quick one for you. We've been suspecting that I may have a bent spindle on one side of the car due to an accident long ago in the car's life. The camber has always been maxed out one direction on that side, so that might be an indicator. My question today though is what is the distance that should be between the end of the spindle where the tie-rod attaches, and should it be the same distance on both sides? Right now there's a good amount of distance on the passenger side, but a much smaller amount on the driver's side (the offending spindle). Anyone have some rough measurement or pictures of the distance? This is with stock 16" firebird wheels btw.
Old 11-07-2016, 04:28 PM
Supreme Member

Received 44 Likes on 42 Posts
Car: 86 Trans Am, 92 Firebird
Engine: 408 sbc, 3.1L of raw power
Transmission: TKO600, T5
Axle/Gears: Moser 9", 3:70 trutac, 3:23 torsion
Re: Bent spindle? Spindle distance from rim

Distance from what? I would suspect a bent or damage k member or strut before a bent spindle, those things are really really tough.

I'm assuming the distance you speak of is the length of the tie rods? If they are uneven it was not properly aligned or there damage elsewhere. There is generally mo reason for them to be drastically different.

Actually now that I read the whole post title, the distance from the tie rod to the wheel should be the same. If you have 16" wheels, they are specific fro t and rear fitment. Sounds lime you have a rear wheel on the front. The backside of the wheel is stamped/embossed with "front" or "rear" only.

Has the car been aligned recently? Do you have the specs? Is the camber off a lot or is it similar with the one strut mount all the way inboard?
Old 11-07-2016, 04:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1991 Firebird Formula
Engine: 5.7L TPI
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: 3.23

What I'm referencing is the distance between the arm of the spindle which the tie-rod connects to, and the edge of the rim. I can assure you that the front wheels are on the front, I actually had to have the tire shop redo 3 out of 4 of the wheels to get this right last time . Alignment wasn't done recently (in fact I'm about to get an alignment, but might hold off until replacing the spindle if needed). The camber is "close enough". I don't think they got it quite in spec, but it wasn't off by enough to matter much. However it is fully maxed out on the adjustment, can't remember if it's inboard or outboard.

I'll have to check again, but if I recall I was able to stick my finger between the spindle arm and the wheel on the passenger side but could not on the driver side. I actually was concerned that the tie rod might hit the wheel weight on that side if the tire got turned right.
Old 11-12-2016, 12:44 PM
jmd
Supreme Member

Received 40 Likes on 39 Posts
Car: `86 SS / `87 SS
Engine: L69 w/ TPI on top / 305 4bbl
Transmission: `95 T56 \ `88 200-4R

The flat surface on the knuckle face woukd be a reference point. Take the brakes off, set a straight edge against reference, and see how far inboard the steering arm measures.

The steering arm is the most likely place to be d or break from a collision.