Suspension and Chassis Questions about your suspension? Need chassis advice?

anyone install a rack and pinion on stock subframe??

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2016, 10:32 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 91 Z28
Engine: aluminum block 5.3
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 4th gen rear 4:10 welded
anyone install a rack and pinion on stock subframe??

hello, i was curious if anyone has managed to affix a rack of some sort on a stock subframe. I know most people are gonna say buy a tubular k member, i would love to, but I will be entering this car into 2017 pro-am drift series and rules state vehicle must use the stock subframe. steering modifications are free though. so before i start welding and cutting, i was seeing what anyone else did, my goal is lighter front end weight with a rack over an iron box, and to gain some more tie rod travel for turing angle. Thanks!!
Old 11-29-2016, 08:37 PM
Supreme Member

Received 44 Likes on 42 Posts
Car: 86 Trans Am, 92 Firebird
Engine: 408 sbc, 3.1L of raw power
Transmission: TKO600, T5
Axle/Gears: Moser 9", 3:70 trutac, 3:23 torsion
Re: anyone install a rack and pinion on stock subframe??

I don't feel the actual weight savings is worth the effort. Shorten the steering arms on the factory knuckles and your done. There is more weight to be saved with a lightweight hood and front impact bar.
Old 12-04-2016, 12:29 PM

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts
Car: 1987 GTA
Engine: TT LC9
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 3.50
Re: anyone install a rack and pinion on stock subframe??

I looked at this pretty extensively but couldn't find a way to make it work. You need a very narrow rack to avoid excessive bump steer. If you can find a rack that will work (most likely a custom rack since most stock units are too wide), the input shaft is probably going to be too far inboard to make the steering column work without a number of u-joints.

I'm not saying it's impossible, but a number of people have looked into it and I'm unaware of anyone that was really successful. I hope you're able to make it work, I'd like to see this done.