Suspension and Chassis Questions about your suspension? Need chassis advice?

Repair or send to junkyard 91 RS

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2016, 01:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1985 IROC Z
Engine: 305 TPI?
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: 9 bolt 3.08
Repair or send to junkyard 91 RS

Crash bar and front end are done. All places that bolts where bolted too are torn apart.
Poor car...
Under the front end.
Don't ask how or why. I'm a pretty big idiot. And a 100% my fault for destroying the front end. Hunk of junk was my baby and a have effectively probably junked this car.

But considering the damage and hidden damage. Do I send the several hundred dollars it will cost me to replace lights and front end. Or should I just send it to it's grave?
I'm the second owner and it is a salvaged title.
Old 12-22-2016, 07:07 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1,662 Likes on 1,261 Posts
Car: Yes
Engine: Usually
Transmission: Sometimes
Axle/Gears: Behind me somewhere
Re: Repair or send to junkyard 91 RS

Looks to me like it's done for.

Cheaper to find another car and transfer whatever is good from that one to the other, and part the rest of that one out.
Old 12-22-2016, 07:15 AM

Originally Posted by sofakingdom
Looks to me like it's done for.

Cheaper to find another car and transfer whatever is good from that one to the other, and part the rest of that one out.
I found a 92 Z28 locally for 2 grand. I might just end up sending it to the junk yard and take off what I could reuse and just let the car go. Sucks because that 305 ran so damn well. I'll end up selling my 5.7 rebuild since hopefully the Z I pick up next will have a 350.
Old 12-23-2016, 09:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RevenateRS454
I might just end up sending it to the junk yard and take off what I could reuse and just let the car go. Sucks because that 305 ran so damn well..
Damage doesn't seem to be that severe. Looks to me like a simple repair. Parts shouldn't be expensive or hard to find.

I say, if its a near rust free car and the engine runs good, simply repair it. It would be a shame to put another third gen to its grave.
Old 12-23-2016, 10:06 PM

Originally Posted by Danny_VXH
Damage doesn't seem to be that severe. Looks to me like a simple repair. Parts shouldn't be expensive or hard to find.

I say, if its a near rust free car and the engine runs good, simply repair it. It would be a shame to put another third gen to its grave.
You are right, I called my local junk yard and they offered me 150 bucks to scrap it.
My maro is for the most part rust free. Was a very solid car. I've taken it on a steady 70mile road trip and she did it with out a hiccup.
But I'm worried about the driver side frame that connects to the crash bar it is bent. Also the radiator support is bent up. I'll have to check it out though.
I will post photos here after I remove the damaged front end and see what you guys think of the actual damage.
the list for parts is a front end, fenders, headlights, and a set of wheels.
Old 12-24-2016, 05:53 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RevenateRS454
You are right, I called my local junk yard and they offered me 150 bucks to scrap it.
My maro is for the most part rust free. Was a very solid car. I've taken it on a steady 70mile road trip and she did it with out a hiccup.
But I'm worried about the driver side frame that connects to the crash bar it is bent. Also the radiator support is bent up. I'll have to check it out though.
I will post photos here after I remove the damaged front end and see what you guys think of the actual damage.
the list for parts is a front end, fenders, headlights, and a set of wheels.
If i were you, i would simply do a wheel base check and see if your wheel base is the same on the left, as it is on the right side. This will tell you if the chassis has been bend. And see if your car still roles in a staight line.

If just the front of the frame is bend a little bit, it shouldn't affect the wheel base and your car should just be fine. The only downside of it will be that the old bumper may not want to come of easly or new bumper will be hard to bolt on as its under stress from bending. However you can always make some changes to the new bumper to make it fit. And use spacers to line out the new bumper.

The biggest deciding factor should be if its bent in front or behind the K member.

Referance picture of my bird:

Anything before that K member and damage is fixable, anything bend behind the K member towards the firewalls and the chassis is done for as that will affect the wheel base.

You can simply weld in a new metal plates for the radiator support. Looking foward to the better pictures. From what i've seen, non rust third gens are hard to find these days. Better repair one then buy a new one with a rusty bottom.
Old 12-24-2016, 01:27 PM
Supreme Member

Received 76 Likes on 66 Posts
Car: 1991 Z28 Vert
Engine: 383 single plane efi
Transmission: T-56
Axle/Gears: 8.8 with 3.73s

My initial opinion is the same as Sofa's but the only way to know for sure would be to put it on a rack and check. But then we are back at the ol cost vs benefit game. Furthermore, do you have the abilities to fix all of the issues with the front end? If not you would have to pay someone which would mean that other Camaro you found is a better bet. I'm not a gambler, more of a safe bet person so I would go with the other Camaro. Sorry, live and learn.
Old 12-24-2016, 02:05 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1,662 Likes on 1,261 Posts
Car: Yes
Engine: Usually
Transmission: Sometimes
Axle/Gears: Behind me somewhere

You're going to have to find a car with the entire hardest part to find good, good; pay premium for it; take that car apart; do all the work to whatever has to be straightened and fixed, on the car you have now; put the other parts on it; paint it all; then throw away the hull of the other (formerly premium condition) car.

Not a high probability of being "cheeeeeeeeper", "eeeeeeeeezier", or "better" than just finding the said somewhat premium car, leaving it alone and driving it, and junking this one.

Now, if your existing car was something "special" in some way, then maybe there would be Point in sacrificing another car to save it. But nowhere do I see that. Just in purely time effort risk and money terms, it's most likely better to just replace it.

JMHO.
Old 12-24-2016, 04:00 PM

Here you go gentlemen. That's about all the damage. Plus a sway bar and a smacked oil pan.
​​​
Old 12-24-2016, 04:23 PM

Looks like I do also have engine damage. Or something it damaged car idles fine but anything above idle isn't to good.