TBI Throttle Body Injection discussion and questions. L03/CFI tech and other performance enhancements.

TBI problems

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2004, 11:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TBI problems

new here, been searching a TON and found a bunch of great info. however I am still having some serious issues with my swap...some background info, its a 4.3L (yeah, I know...should have gone V8) out of an 88 GMC Safari van that I swapped into my buggy. I know this doesn't fit into your board guildlines but just pretend its in something that does

anyway, I have the engine running but still a little rough at idle (sometimes really smooth, sometimes rough ) and anytime I put any kind of load on the engine (put it in gear, etc) it just dies. I know its getting good fuel pressure, I just rebuilt the throttle body, new ignition coil, new; cap, rotor, wires, plugs, etc, has good compression, and good spark. I set the timing by unhooking the EST and setting it to 0* BTDC then re-hooked it up and cleared the code it set (42). I really dont know what else to do, I have also gotten rid of most the emissions stuff (evap canister, purge solenoid, etc) but I still have the egr valve and the O2 sensor is hooked-up. I got the Moates cable and ALDU1 so I could see what its doing, BUT I dont know what everything is supposed to be doing Its not setting any codes but while its running (using WinALDL) it sets a couple flags and they include; Closed Loop flag, Old High Gear Flag, Asynchronous Fuel Flag, and sometimes (off and on) the Rich Flag. What does this stuff mean? I am at my wits end with this thing and would apreciate ANY help at all. Thanks

BTW, my buggy does not need to be emissioned and is never driven on the street so if I need to or can remove anything more say so and I can do that...thanks again

:hail:
Old 10-26-2004, 11:48 PM

one mroe thing to add about the egr, I tested teh vacuum from the manifold and its right around 16-17 at idle but I am getting nothing through the egr solenoid (is there a way to test to see if the solenoid is working?). But like I mentioned I'm not getting any codes (which normally not having the solenoid working would set a 32, right? Out of curiousity I totally removed the solenoid fomr the system and it ran the exact same as it did when it was in the system...but a code was still not set. Please help:hail:
Old 10-27-2004, 07:10 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 1990 Camaro RS
Engine: Juiced 5.0 TBI - 300rwhp
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: 3.42 Eaton Posi, 10 Bolt
is it rough all the time, or just cold, or just warm etc. If you can datalog, and post the log of the engine when it is running rough, we can take a look at it.
Old 10-27-2004, 09:05 PM

Originally posted by Dewey316
is it rough all the time, or just cold, or just warm etc. If you can datalog, and post the log of the engine when it is running rough, we can take a look at it.
well here are three log files form last night...it was pretty much running rough the whole time...both when warmed up and when cold (worse when cold though)

http://3rdgen.supergper.com/log-files/log1.txt
http://3rdgen.supergper.com/log-files/log2.txt
http://3rdgen.supergper.com/log-files/log3.txt

thanks for any insight anyone can provide.
Old 10-27-2004, 09:18 PM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 88 Camaro SC
Engine: SFI'd 350
Transmission: TKO 500
Axle/Gears: 9-bolt w/ 3.23's
You might want to look at the MAP. It appears to be working ok but there was a value of 85 kPa when the motor wasnt running. Dont know if you where cranking the engine or not.

If your around sea level, the MAP should be around 100-101 kPa with the key in the on position and the engine off.

It also looked to be a bit lean on some of the logs. Other then that I didnt see anything that immediatly jumped out at me.
Old 10-27-2004, 09:21 PM

Originally posted by dimented24x7
You might want to look at the MAP. It appears to be working ok but there was a value of 85 kPa when the motor wasnt running. Dont know if you where cranking the engine or not.

If your around sea level, the MAP should be around 100-101 kPa with the key in the on position and the engine off.

It also looked to be a bit lean on some of the logs. Other then that I didnt see anything that immediatly jumped out at me.
cool, thanks...I will check the MAP...I am at about 4500 ft above sea level though (SLC, UT) should the level be any different? Thanks again...
Old 10-27-2004, 09:52 PM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 88 Camaro SC
Engine: SFI'd 350
Transmission: TKO 500
Axle/Gears: 9-bolt w/ 3.23's
Yeah, at 4500 ft the pressure will be lower. Offhand I dont know what it is but Id guess at something like 90 kpa. Check the weather station or something. They usually have the current baro pressure in their local forcasts. All in all it sounds like the MAP is working.

The altitude may play a factor. AFAIK none of the TBI ecms I know of use volumetric efficency correction for high altitude, although some do have it as an option. They instead use a simple correction factor for the BPW and if its not real close it can throw things off. Also you said you set the timing to 0 degrees. Is this what was suggested on the emmisions label of the doner vehicle? I suspect that the base stock timing was 6 degrees BTDC. Try that and see if it helps any.