TBI Throttle Body Injection discussion and questions. L03/CFI tech and other performance enhancements.

no fuel-no trouble codes

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2007, 03:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
no fuel-no trouble codes

hello ,
this is my first post on this sight-hoping one of you super genius guys has the right answer(little ego stroking in advance ha-ha)
anyway heres the problem
i parked my 88 305 tbi camaro 2 weeks ago.went to start it a couple days ago and no fuel(starts with starting fluid).dont hear pump running but dont get any trouble codes.ran power to terminal G at ALDL and dont hear pump running.have power to orange wire at relay.ran jumper from orange to red at relay and dont hear anything. ran testlight across from orange to black/white at relay and got light.book said to test from hot to green/white wire at relay to see if on for 2 seconds when ignition turned on-green/white wire always has power ,when i turn the ignition to on the light goes off.is this right?does the light being on all the time mean the ECM's fried? does jumping to G on ALDL run power straight to pump,bypassing the relay?what about the oil pressure switch,how does it get involved?
havent ran power straight to the pump yet.
ANY AND ALL HELP WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED.
scott
Old 03-07-2007, 04:07 PM

forget to mention that the injectors click when trying to start,also ,where is the fuel pump fuse?
thank you for your time
scott
Old 03-07-2007, 04:24 PM

the oil prssure switch turns the pump on when theres is atleast 6 lbs of oil pressure, so even if you have a bad relay the car should start..... try cranking the car for 10-15 seconds straight, to build up ur oil pressure, and watch ur oil pressure guage, if the the pressure build but still no start it's prob ur pump or bad wiring somwhere
Old 03-07-2007, 04:29 PM

tried that-the pressure reads good
thanks
scott
Old 03-07-2007, 04:36 PM

maybe with parking the car for two weeks it allowed some goober in the gas tank to settle....im having a little bit of a problem with fuel delivery and people here have helped me narrow it down to something being clogged......somewhere...... im no fuel genious but from what i have been told it is possible for some foriegn body or bodies to be in the gas tank causing every thing to clog....hopefuly its not that though...im sure just as i dont you dont want to have to pull the tank.....
Old 03-07-2007, 04:36 PM

Car: 89 Firebird
Engine: 350 Ramjet
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: GM 9 bolt 3:27
Sounds like your fuel pump needs to be replaced.

Applying power to the ALDL uses the normally closed contacts of the relay and runs straight to the pump. The oil press switch provides an alternate power supply to the pump when the pressure switch sees pressure. The pressure should be enough to close the switch during normal cranking (someone correct me if I am wrong).

The injectors firing would most likely indicate the ECM is OK.

Fuel pumps in the 3rd gen are a real treat to replace. GL
Old 03-07-2007, 04:44 PM

how loud would the pump be?iv'e never noticed any noise before but havent realy listened for it either?
also noticed that the fuel guage reads straight up-not full but at 12 oclock.could this mean that the ground wire to the tank is loose or bad?it never did that before.and definetly am not looking forward to removing the tank if its the pump.
thanks again for all the info
scott

Last edited by huckdat; 03-07-2007 at 05:50 PM.
Old 03-07-2007, 05:38 PM

Car: 89 Firebird
Engine: 350 Ramjet
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: GM 9 bolt 3:27
Easiest way to listen for the fuel pump is if you have a helper take the gas cap off and get as close as you can to the filler neck and have someone turn the key or power the ALDL terminal. If it runs you will hear a whining noise. It will depend on how much fuel you have in it the lower you are on fuel the louder it will sound.

Definately check the ground, it should be around the wiring where the connector to the pump is by the fuel tank.
Old 03-07-2007, 08:48 PM

Do you see any fuel spraying from the injectors? Mine tried to run if you pumped the gas pedal repeatedly. Also ran with starting fluid. The little piece of hose that connects the pump to the feed line in the tank was rotted. The hose would not hold enough pressure to keep the car running. Also check for fuel at the filter and the TBI lines.
Old 03-08-2007, 08:18 AM

i dont get any fuel from the injectors,the car only starts with starting fluid.
--and what about the green/white wire at the relay?it has power with the key off-then no power with the key on.---
thanks
scott
Old 03-08-2007, 12:39 PM

--------- PROBLEM SOLVED----------
forgot to mention the most important part---I LIVE ON A RANCH--little critters got under the car and ate the wires to the tank.rewired and all's well.
thanks for the help
scott