Re: tech HOW-TO balancing CROSSFIRE Throttle Bodies steo-by-step
One step is left out, I believe, the front TBI must not rest against its idle stop, it should have about .005 gap. Meaning the linkage should only rest on the rear TBI unit and at 475 in drive with the IAC passages blocked.
1. eliminate vacuum leaks, this setup is known for leaking
2. the balance is very important, you need 6" both sides
3. the shafts must be re-bushed
4. the TPS must be set to .525, do yourself a favor and get the adapter on eBay to set this
5. fuel pressure, when using the 85 pump, make sure the regulator is set right 14-14.5
6. the IACs pretty much work or they don't, they vibrate when opening and closing
7. coolant temp sensor should be replaced with the modern 2 wire
8. change the 02 sensor if you haven't
9. make sure you have a good battery and alternator
10. timing @ 6 in drive
All of these things, while not always easy to work through, can make the setup run as it should, good idle, good performance, good hot/cold starts. I have come to the conclusion that unless you get this thing dialed in, it really can be a headache, which explains why so many people yanked the system off and replaced it with a 4bbl.