TBI Throttle Body Injection discussion and questions. L03/CFI tech and other performance enhancements.

Hard (way hard) Starting when cold ?

Old 10-09-2008, 10:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: '89 RS
Engine: 305 TBI (painfully stock)
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: 3.08
Hard (way hard) Starting when cold ?

Hey Guys need help ...
Alaska is getting cold again and this starting problem aint cutting it.

little background.....

mild 383 big chamber "smog heads" pretty mild hydraulic cam (can get info but dont have it with me) headers true dual exhaust eith crossover pipe, small throttle body and the "cop car" 350 injectors. running a factory chip from the same cop car.

external electric fuel pump factory airfilter housing and manifold.

this is all in a 1/2 pickup in front of 3.73 rearend and a 700r4 with no lockup.

I have a vss and don't throw any codes. I need to get a heated o2 sensor in it as it take a long time to heat this one up.

Normally it runs ok clearly no where near its potential but decent and reliable. I know I need to check my fuel pressure and a myrid of other things but at this point i just dont have time for a project and it was running decent.

ok last fall it started giving me trouble so it got parked and I broke out the 'amro in the spring and drove it all summer, but winter has come to the north again and the truck is my winter ride.

if it is at all cold ( first start on a fall day even in the 40's) it takes a LOT of cranking. it usually tries a few times to run way retarded as in making some firing like sounds but not really, more like wooshing as if it is burning in the pipe after the fact "windmilling" more often it just spins doing nothing but loading the exhaust until I get a very loud muffler busting bang ( always out the pipe never the intake ) and then she will usually go. takes off as if loaded up and stumbles and burbles before finally clearing up and acting ok again. once she runs she is good for all day.

Timing is set as per standard (unplug and tdc) thing is it never used to do this...... plugs wires cap rotor all the standard maintenance things are new. any idea's what happened to my baby ?