TBI Throttle Body Injection discussion and questions. L03/CFI tech and other performance enhancements.

89 Camaro Iroc-Z fuel injector O-rings problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2008, 11:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
89 Camaro Iroc-Z fuel injector O-rings problem

I have been working on this 89 camaro Iroc-Z with the stock 305 in it and it has alot of problems with surging and dying. It will idle just fine but it HATES be in gear. i can drive it but, when i come to stop lights i have to instantly shift into neutral to keep it from stalling. From what me and both my brothers have seen it looks like the Fuel injectors are leaking extra fuel. The O-rings for some reason have this problem to were they rip shortly after putting them in. We have gone through 3 sets and its not always the same side that rips them, both sides have done it. We believe that this is causing the stalls because up until they rip the car runs great and doesnt surge or die at all but you can tell the instant they rip cause it just falls to crap. Maybe it could be us installing them wrong or something different, any tips or advice or just some help would be nice seens how we have to buy the whole kit for $40 everytime the o-rings rip because they dont sell them seperately anywhere near were i live.
Old 10-10-2008, 11:14 AM

Car: 2002 WS6 A4
Engine: LS1
Transmission: 4L60E
Axle/Gears: 3.23
Re: 89 Camaro Iroc-Z fuel injector O-rings problem

are you torquing the fuel rail down to spec? Try coating the orings in vasaline before you slip them into the manifold...i have never had them leak on me and i always do what i just told you.

i also coat the side going into the rail with vasline as well and make sure the injectors have the clips on that rail that hold them in just the right place.
Old 10-10-2008, 11:50 AM

We havent tried any type of lubricant at all yet, maybe thats our problem? some idiot told us to try transmission fluid, but wont that make the rubber O-rings swell up? idk we're gonna bust out the new kit here soon and try it again, ill make sure to put some vasaline on there to see if that helps.
Old 10-10-2008, 12:14 PM

Car: 2002 WS6 A4
Engine: LS1
Transmission: 4L60E
Axle/Gears: 3.23

i believe brake fluid is what everyone says makes an o ring swell like that. I remember someone mentioning that for a leaky trans or something...wasnt really paying much attention, guy was an idiot anyway. Yea try just a thin coat of vasaline...smear it around the o ring with your finger.