TBI Throttle Body Injection discussion and questions. L03/CFI tech and other performance enhancements.

Throttle body noise

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2010, 04:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: Firebird Formula
Engine: 305 TBI
Transmission: M5
Throttle body noise

Hi guys,

Some of you already know this, but I might as well say it again: I'm a firebird brother from Sweden so my English might not always be correct. Please let me know if I need to rephrase anything or if you don't fully understand what I mean.

So my firebird is finally on the road again after a loong long winter here in Sweden (normally we barely have snow anymore, but this winter has been the coldest and longest winter in almost 200 years..honestly..t's true!). I know that some of you (not well educated or/and misinformed ) actually believe that we have ice bears walking the streets in Sweden all year 'round but that's not the case. Especially not for me since I'm from the west coast and my hometown is called "Sweden's summer city" during summer. You could say northern sweden (a loong way from me) is pretty much cold and winter-ish all year around, but where I live we usually get a rainy and semi-cold winter until spring arrives. Now the longest winter since forever is finally gone and spring has finally arrived. Today was nothing less than beautiful!

Aaaanyhow...I was out driving the firebird (305 TBI) for a couple of hours for the first time since October. Everything works great and the new brake discs, wheels, tires, open air element, 3" stainless Magnaflow and much more really made it so much more fun to drive. But! When i was parking in the garage earlier I noticed a high pitched "tone" coming from under the hood. Really annoying sound. Can't really describe it, it's just really high pitched and barely noticeable if you stand in front of the car. I popped the hood and located the sound coming from the throttle body. I removed the Edelbrock open air element and the noise is coming somewhere from or around the throttle body itself.

I also noticed a much more increased ticking noise from the injectors. I know the injectors made a slight ticking noise before if you removed the open air element, but now you can hear them even if the hood is closed and the Edelbrock is mounted. I spent a lot of time getting a lot of ugly noises away from my engine bay this winter and you couldn't hear one single noise when I fired up the car for the first time today. Now though, after a couple of hours driving, the ticking injectors and the high pitched "tone" from the TB is disturbingly noisy.

What could have caused this and where should I begin?

Hope you understood most of the things I've tried to explain.
Thanks
/Daphi

Last edited by Daphi; 04-07-2010 at 04:41 PM.
Old 04-07-2010, 08:18 PM

Received 215 Likes on 201 Posts
Car: check
Engine: check
Transmission: check
Re: Throttle body noise

For the cold Winter you can thank our ex-president Al Gore. We too had a long, cold, snowy Winter.

For the extra noise it is due to the open element air cleaner. The IAC passage at idle can make a lot of noise. Along with the injectors making a ticking sound.

With the stock air cleaner most of this noise is suppressed (covered up, masked, reduced). With an open element it is much easier to hear this noise.

As a new member welcome to TGO.

RBob.
Old 04-09-2010, 09:57 PM

Car: 1989 firebird
Engine: 350 tpi
Transmission: 700r4

Originally Posted by Daphi
Hi guys,

Some of you already know this, but I might as well say it again: I'm a firebird brother from Sweden so my English might not always be correct. Please let me know if I need to rephrase anything or if you don't fully understand what I mean.

So my firebird is finally on the road again after a loong long winter here in Sweden (normally we barely have snow anymore, but this winter has been the coldest and longest winter in almost 200 years..honestly..t's true!). I know that some of you (not well educated or/and misinformed ) actually believe that we have ice bears walking the streets in Sweden all year 'round but that's not the case. Especially not for me since I'm from the west coast and my hometown is called "Sweden's summer city" during summer. You could say northern sweden (a loong way from me) is pretty much cold and winter-ish all year around, but where I live we usually get a rainy and semi-cold winter until spring arrives. Now the longest winter since forever is finally gone and spring has finally arrived. Today was nothing less than beautiful!

Aaaanyhow...I was out driving the firebird (305 TBI) for a couple of hours for the first time since October. Everything works great and the new brake discs, wheels, tires, open air element, 3" stainless Magnaflow and much more really made it so much more fun to drive. But! When i was parking in the garage earlier I noticed a high pitched "tone" coming from under the hood. Really annoying sound. Can't really describe it, it's just really high pitched and barely noticeable if you stand in front of the car. I popped the hood and located the sound coming from the throttle body. I removed the Edelbrock open air element and the noise is coming somewhere from or around the throttle body itself.

I also noticed a much more increased ticking noise from the injectors. I know the injectors made a slight ticking noise before if you removed the open air element, but now you can hear them even if the hood is closed and the Edelbrock is mounted. I spent a lot of time getting a lot of ugly noises away from my engine bay this winter and you couldn't hear one single noise when I fired up the car for the first time today. Now though, after a couple of hours driving, the ticking injectors and the high pitched "tone" from the TB is disturbingly noisy.

What could have caused this and where should I begin?

Hope you understood most of the things I've tried to explain.
Thanks
/Daphi
hey man not sure how to fix this problems you have but i have a question on the air cleaner. what did you do with that vacuum line that plugs into the snorkel on the stock air cleaner?
Old 04-09-2010, 10:12 PM
Supreme Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Car: 1992 RS
Engine: Carbed 350
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.42 posi

Originally Posted by GND-646
hey man not sure how to fix this problems you have but i have a question on the air cleaner. what did you do with that vacuum line that plugs into the snorkel on the stock air cleaner?
You just need to plug that vacuum line. It's for the Thermac Device - when temps are cold, engine idles higher, thus more vacuum - the increased vacuum sucks open the thermac valve on the snorkel - it's a flap inside that opens so that the incoming air is the warmer air rising off the manifold riser, instead of the colder air coming in the front of the snorkel opening. Until the engine gets warmer and idles down, the warmer air off the exhaust manifolds helps keep the engine running.

Just like us, engines like cool air, but choke on cold air. Brrrr
Old 04-09-2010, 10:33 PM

Car: 1989 firebird
Engine: 350 tpi
Transmission: 700r4

Originally Posted by camaronewbie
You just need to plug that vacuum line. It's for the Thermac Device - when temps are cold, engine idles higher, thus more vacuum - the increased vacuum sucks open the thermac valve on the snorkel - it's a flap inside that opens so that the incoming air is the warmer air rising off the manifold riser, instead of the colder air coming in the front of the snorkel opening. Until the engine gets warmer and idles down, the warmer air off the exhaust manifolds helps keep the engine running.

Just like us, engines like cool air, but choke on cold air. Brrrr
hey thanks for the help man
Old 04-16-2010, 09:52 AM
Supreme Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: 85 2M6 Fiero, 06 2500 HD, 88 'burb
Engine: LX9, LQ4, L05
Transmission: F23, 4L80E, 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.63, 4.10 14 bolt

Originally Posted by RBob
For the cold Winter you can thank our ex-president Al Gore. We too had a long, cold, snowy Winter.

RBob.
Ex-Vice president.
Old 04-16-2010, 12:07 PM

Received 215 Likes on 201 Posts
Car: check
Engine: check
Transmission: check

Originally Posted by ericjon262
Ex-Vice president.
So true (I knew that ). My fingers must not have been keeping up with the brain while typing.

RBob.
Old 04-16-2010, 04:11 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 91 Trans am
Engine: built 360 TBI
Transmission: built 700r4
Axle/Gears: 10bolt/3.23

Originally Posted by camaronewbie
when temps are cold, engine idles higher, thus more vacuum - the increased vacuum sucks open the thermac valve on the snorkel
Its the themperature sensor with a air bleed valve in the air cleaner, that diverts vacuum to the Thermac wenn too cold.