Search

Go Back   Third Generation F-Body Message Boards > Tech Boards > TBI
Register Forgot Password?

TBI Throttle Body Injection discussion and questions. L03/CFI tech and other performance enhancements.

Welcome to ThirdGen.org!
Welcome to ThirdGen.org.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join the ThirdGen.org community today!

Old 01-30-2012, 02:46 PM   #1

Car: 92 GMC K2500 LD
Engine: 350 TBI with some mods
Transmission: NV4500
Axle/Gears: 3.73

Classifieds Rating: (0)
need a little TBI help

Hey Guys.
I just did an engine swap on a TBI truck 92 model. The engine was a rebuild out of an 88. While the engine was out I changed the cam, lifters and chain, CS1014R RV cam. Edelbrock TBI Manifold, 15lb regulator spring, new throttle body (stock), I put a Harris performance chip in it.

Anyway I got it started up but it is running like crap and over heating. I had some issues getting it to fire up (dist was 180 out) but after that it fired right up running a bit rough but not bad. I pulled the advance wire and set the timing to 0. I plugged it back it and attempted to seat in my cam. It ran a few minutes and started over heating. I tried burping it. It wouldn't even idle without over heating. I pulled the tstat and drilled a 1/8" bleed hole, jacked the front end up. I finally got it so where it would run about 240 at idle. As soon as I shut it down and give it a few minutes it cools right down to 120 (like I have an air pocket) I am getting good flow through the radiator and even pulled the temp sender out to make sure there wasn't air. I put the stock prom back in with no difference.

It is also running very bad. It labors to get to 3k rpm and backfires through the exhaust when I let off. Its running a little rough and very slow to respond. I took it down my driveway and it has no power at all. I pulled the valve covers and adjusted the valves, rechecked the plug wires and rechecked the timing. I am running out of things to check.

Thanks for the help.
Seafarer12 is offline vBGarage Page   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 03:51 PM   #2
Supreme Member

Car: 75 Beast
Engine: 383 +EBL Flash
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 4.11 with 33"

Re: need a little TBI help

I run CS1014R in my newer 350 engine that I dropped in over the XMAS break. It should run like a champ as it is very TBI friendly cam shaft. I assume that you are not running super high compression pistons and used correct head gasket. If you do not mind list your engine particulars.

To get around a possibility of air pocket in a fresh engine I remove t-stat and poor coolant into intake (with radiator filler open). This allows coolant to fill engine block and heads slowly - forcing air pockets. I also run heater hose from intake manifold into radiator - this will by pass t-stat and will purge air out.

Assuming that all other things are correct check spark-plug wires - make sure that all cylinders are firing. A swapped cylinder pair is a common problem - this will cause rich condition (extra oxygen dumped into exhaust along with un-burnt fuel).

//RF
RFmaster is offline vBGarage Page   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 04:38 PM   #3

Thanks RF,
I figured out one of my problems. One of my injectors wasn't firing. I had sent them off to get tested and cleaned. I need to get on the phone and get on someone. I swapped it out with another injector and that thing came alive. It ran like a scalded dog. I am still over heating but I am going to try getting a delco sensor and see if that helps. The amount I have circulated through should taken care of any air pockets.
Old 01-31-2012, 11:24 PM   #4

I put a delco temp sensor in it and all my temp problems vanished except now I think my bleed hole is allowing too much flow with the cooler weather. Oh well if it isnt one thing it is another. But overall I am happy with it. It runs like a champ now.
Old 02-01-2012, 10:16 AM   #5
Supreme Member

Car: 75 Beast
Engine: 383 +EBL Flash
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 4.11 with 33"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seafarer12 View Post
I put a delco temp sensor in it and all my temp problems vanished except now I think my bleed hole is allowing too much flow with the cooler weather. Oh well if it isnt one thing it is another. But overall I am happy with it. It runs like a champ now.
The bleed hole should not make that much difference - it just takes a bit longer for engine to come up to final temperature. Good - a simple CTS swap solved the problem!

//RF
RFmaster is offline vBGarage Page   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 07:56 PM   #6

Yep sometimes it is worth the few bucks extra buy delco stuff.
Old 02-01-2012, 07:56 PM
ThirdGen
1992 Camaro

Paid Advertisement

Go Back   Third Generation F-Body Message Boards > Tech Boards > TBI

Tags
350, aint, air, bleed, cam, coolant, cs1014r, difference, engines, gmc, injectors, make, motor, rv, springs, tbi, tstat, working