TBI Throttle Body Injection discussion and questions. L03/CFI tech and other performance enhancements.

305 v8 TBI surging and rough idle

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2013, 10:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1990 Camaro RS
Engine: 5.0 TBI Edelbrock Intake
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: 3.73 Posi
305 v8 TBI surging and rough idle

Hey everyone, I'm tired of looking at my thirdgen camaro sit in the garage and collect dust due to the problem I'm having. My engine will start up, surge right away and die. Sometimes it will idle, most of the time it won't. The only way to keep it running is to stay on the gas. The engine sounds okay, there aren't any knocks. When I drive the car it stalls out unless put her in neutral, that usually keeps her running. And if you press on the gas just a little bit it bogs down severely. The only code I'm getting off the car is code 12, so I'm not getting much help from that. I've already replaced the oxygen sensor at the ex. Manifold(old one was broke off) I don't know what to go after. I appreciate any help I can get on this, thank you.
Old 08-07-2013, 12:44 PM

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts
Car: 82 Berlinetta/57 Bel Air
Engine: LS1/LQ4
Transmission: 4L60E/4L80E
Axle/Gears: 12B-3.73/9"-3.89
Welcome aboard thirdgen.org.

I'm going to move this to the TBI forum, where people are more familiar with the particulars of that system.

But, first thing I'd check is the EGR valve to make sure it isn't sticking open.
Old 08-07-2013, 02:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1985 Trans Am
Engine: LG4
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.08
Possible fuel starvation

I agree with Five7kid in that it certainly could be the EGR. Another problem could be bad gas or a clogged fuel filter. If you've never changed the fuel filter under your ownership, try that first. Even if the EGR is good, the mounting gasket may be allowing a vacuum leak.
Old 08-07-2013, 08:29 PM

Re: 305 v8 TBI surging and rough idle

DOES sound like a vac leak...
Originally Posted by Schrade
Vacuum leak detection is hard to do right: I know of only one guy who did it right and found a leak (in IAC gasket):

Originally Posted by Schrade View Post
No one got the proper technique for vacuum leak detection...

FIRST (fully warmed up motor); block the gas pedal, or block the throttle linkage. YOU HAVE TO DO THIS TO GET A STEADY IDLE , around 1,250 rpms, or a little higher. If you don't, you can fish starting fluid, a propane hose, or WD40, or Krylon, or hair spray, or pee, anything, until you need a sweater in Hades, but if the motor is lopin' idle already from a vacuum leak, you ain't gonna' find any leak, unless it's so big that Little Jack Horner can stick his thumb in it and pull out a pineapple NOPE.

AFTER you get a steady idle, THEN, you can spray starting fluid everywhere - that's the best detector, because it's vapor pressure is very high - a LITTLE at a time, all around the motor, until you get the rpm SURGE. Follow the vacuum lines to the EVAP cannister too. You might even have to follow the EVAP lines from the EVAP cannister to the gas tank too, but that vacuum leak will show up as a DTC 32 EGR fault, and won't normally show as loping idle, unless the EVAP cannister has been by-passed (been there, saw that uh-HUH yup).

If you get a surge in a tight spot, and can't tell exactly where it is, light a book of matches, blow out the match heads while they're still burnin', and feed the smoke to the tight spot to see it get drawn in.

Fear not the starting fluid; you cannot put the can down fast enough and light the matches fast enough to catch the starting fluid, because the vapor pressure is so high.

Bookmark this post YUP.

Wrench Wizard OUT!
Old 08-07-2013, 08:55 PM

Car: 1989 Chevy Camaro RS
Engine: L30 TBI 5.0L Vortec
Axle/Gears: Stock

Originally Posted by TheBallPlayer
Hey everyone, I'm tired of looking at my thirdgen camaro sit in the garage and collect dust due to the problem I'm having. My engine will start up, surge right away and die. Sometimes it will idle, most of the time it won't. The only way to keep it running is to stay on the gas. The engine sounds okay, there aren't any knocks. When I drive the car it stalls out unless put her in neutral, that usually keeps her running. And if you press on the gas just a little bit it bogs down severely. The only code I'm getting off the car is code 12, so I'm not getting much help from that. I've already replaced the oxygen sensor at the ex. Manifold(old one was broke off) I don't know what to go after. I appreciate any help I can get on this, thank you.
99% of the time its a bad hose at the fuel pump to the sender causing almost no pressure. Get a this fuel pressure tester and check it. Should be between 9-13 at idle. If its not you can't start with the fuel filter and recheck but you will most likely end up replacing the pump. Happened to me 4 times over 6 years.
Old 08-08-2013, 12:26 PM

Thanks for the input. Ive just replaced the plugs and wires yesterday and the engine seems to sound smoother than it did before, there was a plug wire that was seared. I've already replaced the fuel line and the fuel filter, I replaced the side of the line that goes from the fuel filter up to the front of the car. My egr valve isn't sticking open either. What does the egr do when it's working properly?
Old 08-08-2013, 10:37 PM

Car: 1989 Chevy Camaro RS
Engine: L30 TBI 5.0L Vortec
Axle/Gears: Stock

Originally Posted by TheBallPlayer
Thanks for the input. Ive just replaced the plugs and wires yesterday and the engine seems to sound smoother than it did before, there was a plug wire that was seared. I've already replaced the fuel line and the fuel filter, I replaced the side of the line that goes from the fuel filter up to the front of the car. My egr valve isn't sticking open either. What does the egr do when it's working properly?
Check Fuel Pressure.Im Betting Thats What It Is.
Old 08-09-2013, 11:35 PM

I'm going to check the fuel pressure as soon as I get te gauge.. I'll post up the results after
Old 10-31-2013, 03:06 PM

Car: 91 Firebird Convertible
Engine: 305 TBI

Did you get the car fixed and what part failed? Thanks!
Old 10-23-2016, 10:14 PM

Old thread but did you ever find the problem cause I'm having the same issues and I can't seem to find what it is
Old 10-23-2016, 10:36 PM

Old thread but did you ever find the problem cause I'm having the same issues and I can't seem to find what it is
Old 10-24-2016, 09:04 AM

Car: 91 Firebird Convertible
Engine: 305 TBI

My car had rough idle, surging, no power.

My fix was the hose on fuel pump as RS-Chevy-SS mentioned above. I guess GM thought the pump would fail long before the hose. Mine was all eaten up even though the car only has 50K miles on it. I ended up replacing the entire fuel pump assembly.
Old 10-24-2016, 10:20 AM

I switched out my pump a while back and I put on a new hose whIle doing it. What I think might be wrong is the hoses connected (fuel lines) I might have not connected them correctly the return line and canister line might be wrong. Could it cause the vehicle to stall ?