TBI Throttle Body Injection discussion and questions. L03/CFI tech and other performance enhancements.

AIR Pump and Stuff

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2015, 01:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AIR Pump and Stuff

Hello,

I have an '88 Camaro Sport Coupe with a 305. Will it hurt anything if I just remove the tubes to the exhaust manifolds and leave the air tube connected to the catalytic converter? I'd like a little more room to get to things. I realize the holes left behind need plugs. Can anyone tell me the size of the plugs I'd need for the manifold holes?

Thanks in advance.
Old 02-26-2015, 11:58 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1990 Formula Firebird
Engine: 305 TBI (LO3)
Transmission: WC T-5 out of an 88 T/A
Axle/Gears: 10 bolt, 3.42 & Torsen Posi
Re: AIR Pump and Stuff

The holes in the manifold can be plugged using standard plumbing plugs. I don't recall the thread form, but I got my plugs from Lowe's or Ace Hardware.

If you remove the tubes from the manifold and leave the tube on the cat you will have an exhaust leak coming from the cat. Cut that tube out as well and cap it off right where the nipple comes out of the cat. I also used a standard plumbing piece here. A cap & a pipe clamp (think exhaust clamp but smaller).

And if your going to go thru all this work you may as well remove the valve & AIR pump as well. You'll need a different length belt and a different belt routing.

Try searching instead of making a new thread next time. This issue has been discussed many times and the information is out there on the interwebz. There are many threads out there (on this site and others) that will probably give you a step by step process on removing all this **** & a parts list of everything you'll need. I would recommend starting with Google, as it is more inclusive than the TGO seach, and most of the time if you punch in the right keywords it'll bring up a TGO thread within the first 5 results.

Last edited by Formula 305; 02-26-2015 at 12:03 PM.
Old 02-28-2015, 06:44 PM

I tried searching, but I found nothing that addressed removing just the air tubes to the exhaust manifolds. Found everything else though. I want to keep the car as near stock as I can so If I sell it I can return it back to ALL STOCK including emissions. Removing the air tubes would greatly help on getting to the spark plugs and things, and the air tubes would be easy to reinstall. I'll plug (cap off) the hose feeding the air tubes. There will be no exhaust leaks. I'll leave the air pipe connected to the 'verter.

The only things I'm going to change is an all new exhaust system from the exhaust manifolds back. Magnaflow Y-pipe to a 3" Walker converter with air pipe and 3" exhaust pipe back to dual 2 1/2" tail pipes from the muffler. Plus an open air Air Cleaner and a 1/4" injector spacer. And, of course, removing the air tubes clutter. Gonna get a new chip burned for the engine then. Don't need a tire burning hot rod. Been there, done that and got a t-shirt. I'm 68 and have had my fun being crazy with makin' 'em run! Just wanna cruz in style now.

Last edited by Sport88Camaro; 02-28-2015 at 06:52 PM.
Old 02-28-2015, 06:48 PM

Can't figure out why 'spark plugs' is a blue link. ??? What ever
Old 03-02-2015, 09:11 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1990 Formula Firebird
Engine: 305 TBI (LO3)
Transmission: WC T-5 out of an 88 T/A
Axle/Gears: 10 bolt, 3.42 & Torsen Posi

Unless it is a very clean, very low mileage, desirable car, I don't see much point in keeping it all original. I'm guessing an 88 Sport Coupes with 305s were made on the order of hundreds of thousands, and will never be worth all that much.

But that being said its not my car, so you are free to do with it what you wish

Happy motoring