TBI Throttle Body Injection discussion and questions. L03/CFI tech and other performance enhancements.

1992 Camaro has a kick at a certain RPM range

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2015, 06:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1992 Camaro
Engine: 350 V8
1992 Camaro has a kick at a certain RPM range

So I've got a 1992 Camaro, RS addition that is having a issue that has stomped me and my dad for about five years now, and now a new issue has risen as well.

When the camaro gets up to a certain RPM range, around 1200 or so, it starts to kick, cough, buck, or basically start to lose power and want to die out. Give it some gas, and the issue fixes itself, and it does it inconsistently now, but it wants to die out for some reason still.

Work we've done to it is: Brand new 350 crate engine, not even a week old now. ( We thought that would fix it because the previous 305 engine had a mis firing cylinder) New distributor, coil, injectors, rebuilt throttle body, new alternator, new spark plugs, map sensor...basically everything on the engine area is brand new, and we still have the issue. Replacing the engine made it better, it doesn't do it as much, but it is still doing it. We also tried swapping the throttle body with another throttle body...had the same kicking and bucking around 1200 RPM's. I'm baffled about this, so is my dad, and he is a mechanic.

What we think it might be is the fuel regulator pump, but if that was the case wouldn't it be misreading and kicking all over the place? ( I plan on replacing the FRP this weekend, hoping that solves it.)

Also another issue that has surfaced as well...the car wants to die, kick out, cough, and idle really low when going at low speeds. ( Parking lots, stop signs, redlights, etc) I've had it cut off on me a few times. I'm not sure if this is the same issue or not, but if I give it a little gas or feather the throttle...nothing happens, it acts normal...and it does it very very inconstantly.

I'm completely rebuilding the car and this is an issue I really need to solve soon. I don't want to have to keep revving the engine in a parking lot just to get through it without it bucking on me.

Any tips, know how's, things to do? I've researched this issue online, and haven't exactly found any solutions, I found a few things here, but they never came to a clear solution...please help!
Old 09-29-2015, 05:05 PM

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts
Car: 82 Berlinetta/57 Bel Air
Engine: LS1/LQ4
Transmission: 4L60E/4L80E
Axle/Gears: 12B-3.73/9"-3.89
Re: 1992 Camaro has a kick at a certain RPM range

Maybe the TBI guys have some ideas.
Old 09-29-2015, 05:26 PM

Yeah, but not sure it's that...think it might be something electrical now. Which is not good because it might be a costly fix...
Old 09-29-2015, 08:52 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Engine: 305 TBI/305 TPI
Transmission: World Class T5/missing
Axle/Gears: 3.08/G92 3.45 posi

Originally Posted by Giocio
So I've got a 1992 Camaro, RS addition that is having a issue that has stomped me and my dad for about five years now, and now a new issue has risen as well.

When the camaro gets up to a certain RPM range, around 1200 or so, it starts to kick, cough, buck, or basically start to lose power and want to die out. Give it some gas, and the issue fixes itself, and it does it inconsistently now, but it wants to die out for some reason still.

Work we've done to it is: Brand new 350 crate engine, not even a week old now. ( We thought that would fix it because the previous 305 engine had a mis firing cylinder) New distributor, coil, injectors, rebuilt throttle body, new alternator, new spark plugs, map sensor...basically everything on the engine area is brand new, and we still have the issue. Replacing the engine made it better, it doesn't do it as much, but it is still doing it. We also tried swapping the throttle body with another throttle body...had the same kicking and bucking around 1200 RPM's. I'm baffled about this, so is my dad, and he is a mechanic.

What we think it might be is the fuel regulator pump, but if that was the case wouldn't it be misreading and kicking all over the place? ( I plan on replacing the FRP this weekend, hoping that solves it.)

Also another issue that has surfaced as well...the car wants to die, kick out, cough, and idle really low when going at low speeds. ( Parking lots, stop signs, redlights, etc) I've had it cut off on me a few times. I'm not sure if this is the same issue or not, but if I give it a little gas or feather the throttle...nothing happens, it acts normal...and it does it very very inconstantly.

I'm completely rebuilding the car and this is an issue I really need to solve soon. I don't want to have to keep revving the engine in a parking lot just to get through it without it bucking on me.

Any tips, know how's, things to do? I've researched this issue online, and haven't exactly found any solutions, I found a few things here, but they never came to a clear solution...please help!
This sounds pretty identical to when I accidentally bumped my MAP sensor when I was changing something out, cant remember what work I was doing. I just remember the next time I drove it, my car literally started to buck like a bronco when I hit around 1500 rpms I think it was and I could shift into another gear, but it would start bucking again, and it was puzzling to me as well. I can't remember what made me think to check it, but I noticed that my map sensor was SLIGHTLY unplugged, and when I shoved it up into the connector as hard as I could, the problem went away. I literally couldn't tell when I first looked at it that it was even slightly unplugged, and it moved so slightly that it almost was like it didn't move. Not saying you have the same issue, but it sounded somewhat similar to my issue.
Old 09-29-2015, 09:23 PM
Supreme Member

Received 384 Likes on 328 Posts
Car: 1983 G20 Chevy
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: 4L60
Axle/Gears: 14 bolt with 3.07 gears

Originally Posted by Giocio

I helped a guy on here from prior experience a while back. He had a Roadmaster that bucked and surged at lower speeds but ran like a bat out of hell if you stood on the thrttole. It was his torque converter solenoid.
Old 09-30-2015, 07:32 AM

Originally Posted by AmpleUnicorn88
This sounds pretty identical to when I accidentally bumped my MAP sensor when I was changing something out, cant remember what work I was doing. I just remember the next time I drove it, my car literally started to buck like a bronco when I hit around 1500 rpms I think it was and I could shift into another gear, but it would start bucking again, and it was puzzling to me as well. I can't remember what made me think to check it, but I noticed that my map sensor was SLIGHTLY unplugged, and when I shoved it up into the connector as hard as I could, the problem went away. I literally couldn't tell when I first looked at it that it was even slightly unplugged, and it moved so slightly that it almost was like it didn't move. Not saying you have the same issue, but it sounded somewhat similar to my issue.
Hmm, I would think it would be that but the map sensor has been replaced with a brand new one and the plug is in tight, replaced twice actually. Though I will check it again at some point today and get back to you.
Old 09-30-2015, 07:33 AM

Originally Posted by Fast355
I helped a guy on here from prior experience a while back. He had a Roadmaster that bucked and surged at lower speeds but ran like a bat out of hell if you stood on the thrttole. It was his torque converter solenoid.
Alright, I'll look into it and see what I can find.
Old 10-01-2015, 12:20 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Engine: 305 TBI/305 TPI
Transmission: World Class T5/missing
Axle/Gears: 3.08/G92 3.45 posi

I think the clip to secure mine is broken so it allows it to sort of come unplugged. If you have replaced the sensor and your plug is in good condition and nothing broken on it, chances are it's not the issue.