TBI Throttle Body Injection discussion and questions. L03/CFI tech and other performance enhancements.

89 rs passenger side injector

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2016, 06:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
89 rs passenger side injector

I have a 89 rs tbi that's been sitting for about 10 years, I've been Working to get it back on the road, so I've done an oil change fuel pump, fuel filter, brakes all around and new gas. I went to drive it on the road and it had no power. I was at wot just to get it to speed. So I checked the forums and looked for a solution. But today I went out checked to see if my injectors were spraying properly, but the passenger side injector wasn't spraying at all. So I went and rented a noid light kit and check the pigtail and there was no pulse. But I wanted to check the injector too, so I touched the tips with a 9v battery and it clicked. So I think it's the wiring, but before I go on a wild goose chase, I'd like to know if I'm on the right path and if anyone else has had this problem. So far I couldn't find a thread that got to this point in my troubleshooting process. thanks in advance
Old 10-16-2016, 01:28 PM

Car: 1992 Camaro RS
Engine: 5.7 Vortec with TBI
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.23
Re: 89 rs passenger side injector

Originally Posted by LITsowski
I have a 89 rs tbi that's been sitting for about 10 years, I've been Working to get it back on the road, so I've done an oil change fuel pump, fuel filter, brakes all around and new gas. I went to drive it on the road and it had no power. I was at wot just to get it to speed. So I checked the forums and looked for a solution. But today I went out checked to see if my injectors were spraying properly, but the passenger side injector wasn't spraying at all. So I went and rented a noid light kit and check the pigtail and there was no pulse. But I wanted to check the injector too, so I touched the tips with a 9v battery and it clicked. So I think it's the wiring, but before I go on a wild goose chase, I'd like to know if I'm on the right path and if anyone else has had this problem. So far I couldn't find a thread that got to this point in my troubleshooting process. thanks in advance
I'd swap the injectors and see if what happens. If the same side still doesn't spray its wiring, if it switches to the other side its the injector. My bet is the injector.
Old 10-16-2016, 04:22 PM

I switched the injector pigtails from drivers side(working) to passenger side( not working) and the passenger side injector sprayed fuel with the drivers side pigtail. So I went and bought a new pigtail and spliced it in and still nothing. That's where I'm at now
Old 10-16-2016, 06:21 PM

Car: 1992 rs
Engine: 305
Transmission: 700r4

before i rebuilt my throttle body my passenger side injector sprayed like crap. thought about replacing them both but first i soaked them in throttle body cleaner for a few hours and now theyre both spraying fine
Old 10-16-2016, 10:19 PM

They both spray fine, when I switch the working connector on the working injector to the non working injector, it sprays jusyt fine. So both injectors work, but it's somewhere in the wiring. Which sucks a bunch
Old 10-17-2016, 06:19 AM

Car: 1992 Camaro RS
Engine: 5.7 Vortec with TBI
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.23

A couple suggestions. I would check the 2 fuses in the fuse panel for Injector #1 and Injector #2. They are 10 amp fuses. You should have 12v on the red wire and white wire at each injector at key on. Your ECM pulses ground to complete the circuit thru the dark blue and dark green wires. If you have 12 v at the injectors you are looking for either an ECM issue or a break in the wiring between the ECM and the injector. Use a meter and check continuity between the injector and ECM on your passenger side. The dark blue pins are D15 and D16 on the ECU while D14 and C15 are the dark green pins. If you don't have a meter you could also swap the wires in the ECU connector and see if the non firing injector moves to the drivers side. If so its the ECU, if not its a break in the wiring.
Old 10-17-2016, 05:19 PM

Turns out I didn't have the inj 2 fuse in, which makes complete sense. But it's just one of those things that's staring you in the face but don't think about. Plugged in a fuse and I had all the power a 305 should have (not a lot). After taking it for a run down the block it died out because I didn't have any gas in the tank and then I promtly blew that inj 2 fuse. So I limped it back to the house and changed it out for another 10 amp. And I was back at square 1, only one injector. So I tested both injectors using the 9v battery and turns out the passenger side injector itself was bad i.e. It didn't click when voltage was applied. This is a crude way of testing an injector, but works in a pinch. I then switched the pigtail connectors and they both work via testing with a noid light. So I deduced it was a burnt out injector. I will probably replace it along with the gaskets in the next coming week.

Last edited by LITsowski; 10-17-2016 at 05:29 PM.
Old 10-18-2016, 05:48 PM
Supreme Member

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts
Car: 92 Camaro RS
Engine: LO3
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: stock

I've gotten a number of TBI injectors out of clean looking cars at the JY, and some of them didn't click when touched to the battery. Holding in my hand and giving the injector a couple of good whacks with a wooden screwdriver handle
caused it to start clicking with a nice ring to it. Don't know if it dislodged something that was clogging it up or what, but have ended up installing them and had plenty of use from them. Ran some Lucas injector cleaner after just for kicks. Kind of mickey mouse, but free and maybe worth a try?
Old 10-18-2016, 08:05 PM

I'll definitely try it, and I'm going to pick up some gaskets too thanks for the responses
Old 10-25-2016, 03:15 PM
Supreme Member

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts
Car: 92 Camaro RS
Engine: LO3
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: stock

Any results?