TBI Throttle Body Injection discussion and questions. L03/CFI tech and other performance enhancements.

Oil pressure sensor/switch

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2016, 06:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oil pressure sensor/switch

I have a 92 camaro rs 305 tbi and I wanted to know if someone could take a picture of the oil pressure sensor on the back of the manifold. I can't find it but I've been told it's there. If anyone can point me in the right direction I would appreciate it
Old 11-03-2016, 09:11 AM

Received 215 Likes on 201 Posts
Car: check
Engine: check
Transmission: check
Re: Oil pressure sensor/switch

Check the area above the oil filter. There should be a three wire switch/sensor located there. The switch part is the fuel pump relay bypass, with the other portion being the sensor for the oil pressure gauge.

RBob.
Old 11-03-2016, 11:59 AM

Yeah I've heard of that one. But isn't there one by the distributor?
Old 11-03-2016, 12:56 PM

Received 215 Likes on 201 Posts
Car: check
Engine: check
Transmission: check

Originally Posted by Anthony0128
Yeah I've heard of that one. But isn't there one by the distributor?
Not on your car. There is a port there (drivers side of distributor), and GM did use it. On the older cars with the idiot light the oil pressure switch was there. Other vehicles such as some Astro vans also used that location for the oil pressure sensor & switch.

But on the EFI f-body's (most of?), GM placed the sensor/switch in the port by the oil filter.

Basically, check both locations. Also, I wouldn't be surprised to find a switch or sensor in each location.

RBob.
The following users liked this post:
JuanZ28 (05-13-2023)
Old 11-03-2016, 01:01 PM

Alright thanks. And if this switch/sensor was bad what would be the symptoms?
Old 11-03-2016, 10:17 PM
Supreme Member

Received 72 Likes on 56 Posts

1. Can't say for sure on Camaros (It'll be in your service manual that you should buy) but the pickup trucks use a sending unit for the gauge located above the oil filter, and a smaller switch beside the distributor as a bypass for the fuel pump relay.

2. If the sending unit goes bad, the oil gauge will be inaccurate. This is a very common problem on the pickups--the gauge can read too high, or too low. The sending unit is sometimes full of oil when removed--it gets heavy and sloshes.

3. If the switch goes bad, YOU'LL NEVER KNOW IT unless you also have a problem with the fuel pump relay, relay wiring, or ECM control of the relay. If the fuel pump relay is working right, the oil switch is entirely redundant. If the relay system fails, you'd get extended cranking before the engine starts...and then the engine would run just fine. If both the relay and the switch fail, the engine won't start.
The following users liked this post:
TWON_3rdGEN (10-10-2019)
Old 11-03-2016, 10:25 PM

I believe they're all fine I just wanted to know since I'm getting my camaro back into shape. I want to replace most of the sensors to make sure everything is working fine. My fuel pump is working and the relay so I should be fine correct ?
Old 11-04-2016, 12:12 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Engine: 350 TBI build
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.73 G80

Originally Posted by RBob
Not on your car. There is a port there (drivers side of distributor), and GM did use it. On the older cars with the idiot light the oil pressure switch was there. Other vehicles such as some Astro vans also used that location for the oil pressure sensor & switch.

But on the EFI f-body's (most of?), GM placed the sensor/switch in the port by the oil filter.

Basically, check both locations. Also, I wouldn't be surprised to find a switch or sensor in each location.

RBob.
not to get off base, my 91 350 tbi truck used a block heater in the port above the oil filter and Oil pressure sensor/switch in the port behind drivers side of distributor, often wondered if a Oil pressure sensor/switch was ever used in the port above the oil filter on some TBI 350's
Old 11-04-2016, 12:57 AM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by 89-S-dime
not to get off base, my 91 350 tbi truck used a block heater in the port above the oil filter and Oil pressure sensor/switch in the port behind drivers side of distributor, often wondered if a Oil pressure sensor/switch was ever used in the port above the oil filter on some TBI 350's
A block heater is inserted into one of the core plugs for the water jacket. Would never touch oil, or an oil gallery.

As said, my '88 TBI K1500 uses a sending unit above the oil filter.
Old 11-04-2016, 02:40 AM

I did not think about a block heater being inserted into a freeze plug

so your saying this is a sending unit?
Old 11-04-2016, 03:29 AM
Supreme Member

Yes...but it's missing the black, stamped-sheetmetal shield that would go over it. The point of this photo is to show that some sending units sold for these vehicles are much larger than the originals. Don't fit worth a damn.

And I couldn't make it fit using ordinary plumbing supplies:

Last edited by Schurkey; 11-04-2016 at 03:33 AM.
Old 11-04-2016, 10:29 AM

awww ok, thanks for clarifing this

Last edited by 89-S-dime; 12-03-2016 at 05:58 PM.
Old 12-13-2016, 02:03 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: 1989 IROC-Z
Engine: 5.7L V8

This is what was in mine
Old 03-28-2019, 12:23 AM

I bought a 1991 t-top camero with the 3.1 in it and was changing plugs and found my oil pre sure sensor was broke in half. See i have had the car for about a month now and got it to redo for my daughter when she gets older but I've never got the car to start. I've replaced every sensor on motor, new fuel pump, new starter, new Bat, new cap and button, and it turns over and fires but never starts and stays running by itself. In ready to set it on fire. I have spent so much time and money I don't have and for the last 3 days its been crack of dawn to dark with it and ain't no dann closer . I'm a big chevy fan but ever since I got this car im starting to hate them .
Old 03-29-2019, 03:04 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by WarDamnEagle82
I bought a 1991 t-top camero with the 3.1 in it and was changing plugs... ...but I've never got the car to start. I've replaced every sensor on motor,
WHY? Were they tested and found to be defective? Were the new parts tested and found to be OK?

new fuel pump,
WHY? Tested and proven defective? Were the new parts tested and found to be OK? Fuel filter not plugged?

new starter, new Bat, new cap and button
WHY? Tested and proven defective? New parts tested and OK? Did you put the rotor back in correctly?

it turns over and fires but never starts and stays running by itself.
Does it have adequate cranking compression? (Have you tested compression?)
Does it have fuel spray when you're cranking? (Have you seen the fuel spray? If not, have you tested fuel pressure?)
Does it have spark when you're cranking (Have you tested for spark?)
Exhaust system free-flowing? (Pipes not crushed, cat converter not plugged, etc.)
Are the plug wires installed properly?
Are the new spark plugs gapped properly and NOT FOULED?
Does the vehicle have VATS, and does it work properly?
What is the battery voltage?
What does the data stream from the scan tool show? Correct engine temperature? Appropriate RPM during cranking? Anything else out-of-place?
Any codes stored? (Codes are not as important as the data stream--but still useful.)

Last edited by Schurkey; 03-29-2019 at 03:08 PM.