TBI Throttle Body Injection discussion and questions. L03/CFI tech and other performance enhancements.

Cutting power

Old 11-27-2016, 01:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1988 Chevy camaro
Engine: 5.0 v8 tbi
Transmission: T5
Cutting power

Hi my 1988 tbi Camaro has just developed a annoying problem while driving it cuts power for a second or two and the car backfires then its fine or while idling at a stoplight the rpm drops for a second or two sometimes it turns of sometimes it dosent and it idles really high to around 2000 when it's cold I don't know if they are connected but please anyone chime in I don't want to spend any money on this car as of now that is not needed since I just got cams and heads and I am kind of broke at the moment thank you
Old 11-29-2016, 03:57 AM
Supreme Member

Received 72 Likes on 56 Posts
Re: Cutting power

Can you ask Vanna to buy some punctuation? Periods and commas are taught in third grade.

Could be ignition, could be fuel. What does your scan tool show for RPM as the engine "cuts power"? If it shows zero rpm, I'd suspect ignition, if it shows some reasonable RPM figure, I'd suspect fuel.
Old 11-29-2016, 10:48 AM

When the vehicle is moving the rpm drops down to 0 but when I'm sitting at idle the rpm works I'm thinking it's the map sensor because my car misfires the first couple of seconds I get black smoke coming out of the tailpipes the sensor wiring looks like it's been messed with at some point but the sensor is the original.
Old 11-29-2016, 12:01 PM
Supreme Member

Received 189 Likes on 149 Posts
Car: 1984 Trans Am L69
Engine: Sniper EFI Powered 355
Transmission: WC T5 w/ Steel Support Plate
Axle/Gears: 3.42 10 Bolt Posi

How many cams did you get?

But seriously did you tune it at all after the cam and head change? When was the last tune up? What is your timing set to? Did it have the problem before the cam and head swap?

Provide some information.
Old 11-29-2016, 02:17 PM

My engine is in stock forum right now I just got the heads in the mail I still have to port them.I did not check the timing i just ordered the map sensor I will try replacing the map if that solves the problem then I should be good but if not I'll check the timing.

Search this Thread