Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Engine hasn't been started in for almost 1 yr...what to expect

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2002, 12:03 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Engine hasn't been started in for almost 1 yr...what to expect

Well, I guess it's been more like 6 months. I've been slowly building my motor in my spare time and I'm slightly worried about some of the effects of all this down time. What can I expect? Will the fuel injectors be alright or should a knock on them alittle? Anything I can do now while the manifold is still off?

Last edited by Iroc n roll; 10-24-2002 at 12:06 AM.
Old 10-24-2002, 01:05 AM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
How exactly did it sit? I've got that at least the manifold was off, was it covered? Did you just assemble it now? Did it have oil/coolant? Did you put new oil and coolant in it? I think the gas should be alright for 6 months. If you want to search for some info from Vader, he covers similar topics frequently.
Old 10-24-2002, 08:32 AM

There was no coolant in it. The engine was not covered or bagged so I think im going to oil up some parts now while I can still get at them. The fuel system was my main concern. I tried a few searches with nothing conclusive, maybe I'll try some "winter storage" searches.
Old 10-24-2002, 08:45 AM

Received 216 Likes on 177 Posts
I wouldn't be too concerned with the injectors. There is really nothing you can do to prepare them for startup short of removing and cleaning them. There is probably an equal chance of them working just fine, but as a preventive measure you may want to add some injector cleaner to the fuel in the hope that any tip deposits would be cleaned away.

As for the rest of the engine, expect smoke (which should clear up shortly), contamination in the coolant which will require a flush/refill, and possibly some gummed lifters which should clean themselves once the new oil is hot and flowing. As long as you are not polishing a new cam, start slowly and watch for signs of overheating. Don't load the engine unnecessarily until it has been through a couple of heat/cool cycles.

Don't overlook the other components either. The transmission hasn't had oil flow for six months, and the rear axle is likely dry at the ends (bearings). Brakes will be rusty, and the front suspension, steering, and wheel bearings should be greased and loaded gently until the grease has had time to liquify the dry areas. Maybe setting the cqar on stands and allowing it to idle unloaded in gear would help to redistribute some of the lubricants. At the same time you can work the grease into the steering and suspension without a load.
Old 10-24-2002, 09:02 AM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
when my old car sat for 7 months, I started her right up with no prob, did a complete tune up within the week though, that was 3 years ago and the car is still runing (135,000 miles)
biker
Old 10-24-2002, 10:23 AM

Excellent, just what I needed to know. Yeah I'm going to take it very easy the first couple of days. Thanks for the info.