Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

How to replace Turnsignal/wiper/cruise control lever?

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2002, 10:03 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: Formula
Engine: 6.0 LSX
Transmission: 4L60E
Axle/Gears: 9 Bolt 3:27
How to replace Turnsignal/wiper/cruise control lever?

I cant think of the name off hand but you guys know what I am talking about. I'm replacing it due to that its fading out, and I'm reduing the interior. Thanks
Old 11-20-2002, 10:14 AM
ede
TGO Supporter

have fun it just pulls out and you have to fish the new wires back in. it's a 4 wire connector, find it ,tie a piece of fish line to it, pull it out then tie the line to the new part to pull it back in with.
Old 11-20-2002, 01:01 PM
Supreme Member

i dont get it. Ok it pulls out then i have to connect the new wires to the connector inside? I dont understand the fine line part of pulling out and using fishing line to put it back in. (I'm kinda slow)
Old 11-20-2002, 01:58 PM
ede
TGO Supporter

ever do a turn signal switch? the wires run down the inside of the column and connect at the bottom ,same way with the cruse control, 4 wires run down the inside of the column and connect at the bottom. unplug the bottom harness and tie the line to it then pull it out, if you wait till after you pull it out you'll have a hard time gettign the new wires back in
Old 11-20-2002, 02:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i just cut the wires cuz im lazy LOL. it works tho.
Old 11-20-2002, 03:27 PM
Supreme Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Car: 1992 RS
Engine: Carbed 350
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.42 posi
You have to get a puller and remove the steering wheel don't you? I just saw all that good stuff under mine when I replaced my ignition switch. Pulling the wires through wasn't that hard. At the bottom of my steering column there is a plastic piece that slides up into the column, and holds the wires tight by squeezing them (kinda a wedge - wedges the wires in the column). After I removed the wedge, I had lots of easy pulling of wires. I just fished the new wires for my ignition switch (the security diode wire) down the column with a straightened coat hanger.

I also saw replacement signal switches at Auto Zone and Advance Auto really cheap (compared to dealer) - if you haven't bought it yet. I also got the pullers from Auto Zone (FREEBIE RENTALS with deposit).

Make sure you disconnect airbag properly (if you have one). They can ruin a perfectly good day!

Worst part for me ... I didn't have the pliers to remove the retainer clip inside under the steering column (holds that plate thing), and I broke the clip when I forced a screwdriver in there.

Lesson: have access to another ride to get to hardware store and get a new retainer clip!
Old 11-20-2002, 05:00 PM
TGO Supporter

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Car: 85 IROC-Z / 88 GTA
Engine: 403 LSx (Pending) / 355 Tuned Port
Transmission: T56 Magnum (Pending) / T5
Axle/Gears: 3.42 / ?
As far as I know the wheel has to come off. That's the easy part though. There's a metal ring that holds the park-lock plate in place. Getting that back on after you're done is a *****.
Old 11-20-2002, 07:08 PM
IHI
Supreme Member

Car: 86 firebird with 98 firebird interi
Engine: pump gas 427sbc Dart Lil M 13.5:1
Transmission: Oldani TH400 w/ BTE 9" convertor
Axle/Gears: 31 spline Moser/full spool/4.11Rich
No, no, no... the wheel does not have to come off, I had to do the same thing with my car cause the wipers would'nt work. Push in on the turn signal lever-push it towards the column, at the same time rotate it towards the drivers seat, this unlockes it from the factory position. Like ede siad there is a plug on the steering column where all the wires come together, unplug it, and yes tie, tape, what ever you can do to bring a "fishline..fishtape" to come up through the column with the old wires. When installing the new turn signal switch I taped & tied the new wires to my heavy duty string and started to fish it back down through the column. I found it alot easier to get the wire back down by articulating the tilt steering while pulling on the string-musta freed up things once in awhile down there cause there was 1 spot that I was terrified it was not gonna pass, but it did. PITA factor bout a 4 on a scale to 10, more of a time consuming process than mentally straining-IF you do it the right way.
Old 11-20-2002, 07:22 PM
Supreme Member

Originally posted by ede
ever do a turn signal switch? the wires run down the inside of the column and connect at the bottom ,same way with the cruse control, 4 wires run down the inside of the column and connect at the bottom. unplug the bottom harness and tie the line to it then pull it out, if you wait till after you pull it out you'll have a hard time gettign the new wires back in

I gotcha Thanks
Old 11-15-2010, 08:53 PM

Re: How to replace Turnsignal/wiper/cruise control lever?

Anyone have the wiring diagram for the cruise level(switch connections to those four wires)??

Originally Posted by ede
Old 11-18-2010, 08:05 AM

I think there may have been a little confusion on what he is replacing. I am just summarizing here for future readers clarification.

If you need/wish to replace just the "multi-function lever" (technical name for the stick with the writing on it) then you do not need to pull the steering wheel. The only wires that come out of that are the cruise control (if you have it) wires. You just pull the lever straight out and pull the wires through (with a "fish line" attached at the connector end to re-pull the new wires back through). The "fish line" could be twine or a piece of old wire. I usually use a piece of 18 awg wire.

If you need to replace the wiper/washer switch (which is what the lever plugs into) then you do need to pull the steering wheel. The same hold true for the turn signal switch, which is located just behind the lock plate. When replacing either of these two switches, a lock plate remover is very cheap at your local auto parts store and is worth every penny when it comes time to remove the lock plate.
Old 11-19-2010, 09:22 PM

Good info. How about if the high beam rod "bracket" on the back side of the wiper / washer broke off ? there is nothing to push the rod toward the high beam switch. HELP ! Due insp and need high beams to pass (92 RS)
The following users liked this post:
TWON_3rdGEN (08-12-2019)
Old 11-19-2010, 11:32 PM
Supreme Member

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
Car: 1985 Z28
Engine: 334 Stroker Superram 222/230
Transmission: Full Manual 700R4 / 3k Street Edge
Axle/Gears: 3.90 Eaton, Moser, Richmond & More

The turn signal lever will pull straight out, but it is VERY IMPORTANT that it is in the CORRECT POSITION before you try this. I believe it is with the wipers turned OFF. I got pissed at mine because it wouldn't come out (Due to it being rotated in the on position), and just ripped it right out.

I ended up breaking the wiper switch. Results were not pretty. The wiper got stuck in the on position and I had to run to radioshack that same day with the wiper motor unplugged and get a toggle switch to rig up a ghetto wiper on/off while I waited for a new switch to arrive. I had to take apart the column to replace the switch.

Use some music wire to fish the cruise control wire down through the column. It's tricky, but can be done without pulling the wheel.
Old 11-20-2010, 04:35 PM

Car: 1989 Camaro RS
Engine: 355
Transmission: 5 speed Manual
Axle/Gears: Stock

Mine was not done correctly when someone took it apart and am trying to get car back to normal, so I have two sets of wires hanging from the multi function switch, one I believe is a box for 4 pins, and the other 2 pins (cant remember). Are both of these for cruise control, or is one for the delay wipers (as mine dont work). Appreciate any clarification on the wires, why cant people fix stuff the right way :/
Old 02-21-2011, 01:01 PM

Car: 1987 tpi camaro not sure of motor
Engine: 5.0 tpi
Transmission: 5spd
Axle/Gears: posi track rear end gears unknown

you do not have to remove the steering wheel to change out the turn signal lever. I followed the intructions given here and it came out super easy. The only issue i had was trying to fish the line down the column. i just tucked it out of the way for now to get it to pass safety
Old 02-22-2011, 08:27 PM

Car: 1991 Camaro Convertible
Engine: Hellifi-no special

Why don't you tie a line to the existing wires BEFORE removing the old lever. Then, when you pull the old wires out blammo your string is already ran through! Now attach your new wires to that same string and pull er on back through. Easy peasy
Old 02-23-2011, 09:09 AM

Car: 1987 tpi camaro not sure of motor
Engine: 5.0 tpi
Transmission: 5spd
Axle/Gears: posi track rear end gears unknown

yeah tried that but it kept getting stuck towards the top i am not too worried about it right now when i get some time on the weekend i will fish it thru
Old 06-05-2011, 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by IHI
No, no, no... the wheel does not have to come off, I had to do the same thing with my car cause the wipers would'nt work. Push in on the turn signal lever-push it towards the column, at the same time rotate it towards the drivers seat, this unlockes it from the factory position. Like ede siad there is a plug on the steering column where all the wires come together, unplug it, and yes tie, tape, what ever you can do to bring a "fishline..fishtape" to come up through the column with the old wires. When installing the new turn signal switch I taped & tied the new wires to my heavy duty string and started to fish it back down through the column. I found it alot easier to get the wire back down by articulating the tilt steering while pulling on the string-musta freed up things once in awhile down there cause there was 1 spot that I was terrified it was not gonna pass, but it did. PITA factor bout a 4 on a scale to 10, more of a time consuming process than mentally straining-IF you do it the right way.
This was perfect instructions! I have been dreading doing this and thought I would have to pull the steering wheel. Following your instructions the process took about 15 mins or so. The biggest thing for me was trying to find the wires under all of the alarm and stero wires. Once again, thank you for the post!
Old 05-07-2013, 02:32 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Car: 1988 IROC-Z
Engine: 350 TPI
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 2.77

Originally Posted by IHI
my windshield wipers arent working either. i troubleshot it down to the wires that come from the steering column, cuz i would finally stop blowing fuses once i unplugged it. so what your saying is u just replaced the signal lever and it was a fix for you?
Old 05-22-2014, 11:42 AM

Car: 85 camaro sport
Engine: 350 carb
Transmission: turbo 350
Axle/Gears: 3.75?

I know this is an old thread but I have an odd and newbie question...

Is the connector different for switches that have or dont have cruise? thanks
Old 05-22-2014, 07:48 PM
Supreme Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: 1988 GTA
Engine: LB9
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: 3.45

No cruise likely has no wire at all, just the stick.
Old 05-22-2014, 09:29 PM

well- im replacing the whole lever because the wipers dont work... except when i bypass the lever...

.. i dont currently have cruise, but i can have a lever with cruise for free if the wiper wiring will just clip in (i'll keep what i have if i have to start rewiring things...)
Old 07-12-2014, 02:49 PM

I'm trying to troubleshoot why my wipers only work partially for a couple seconds. I would guess it's wiring or the switch. Does the plastic piece near the lever on the steering column pop off somehow to reveal the wiper switch? It seems like some wiring wiper switches/wires are $130+. Are most wiper problems coming from the switch area in the car or from bad connections to the wiper motor on the firewall? Suggestions?
Old 07-12-2014, 05:02 PM

Im not sure about your problem specifically, but a good way to check is how i checked mine. Look at your manual for which wires go to and from the switch and just bypass it as close to the wiper motor as you can. if they turn on then you know the motor is good. just keep bypassing things until you find where the break is. thats how i know mine is in/ near the switch, and not the motor or wires before the switch.

hope that helps
Old 09-20-2014, 11:03 AM

Car: 1989 Iroc-Z
Engine: 305 tpi
Transmission: t5
Axle/Gears: 3.08

Any help if my fish line comes off? It came off pulling it up... how the heck do I thread the line back down? Seems nearly impossible now...

any help apprieciated
Old 09-20-2014, 01:22 PM

Can you thread a new fish line up with a hanger wire or some skinny rod? Then attach it to the wires.
Old 09-20-2014, 06:45 PM

Car: 1989 Iroc-Z
Engine: 305 tpi
Transmission: t5
Axle/Gears: 3.08

Originally Posted by yino18
Can you thread a new fish line up with a hanger wire or some skinny rod? Then attach it to the wires.
its just so tight...after the fish line came off I still had a hell of a time pulling up the original wire. Ah well...I just did a test ride with new wire plugged in just hanging outside the column and cruise didn't work (didn't work with old switch). So not sure i'll bother with cruise wire now..
Old 10-06-2015, 12:39 PM

Car: 1988 FORMULA
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: 4spd auto
Axle/Gears: standard

I have a query, say if the turn/wiper arm does not have delay for the wipers, can it be switched with one that has delay on it or is there some other equipment I need to replace to us this function.
Old 10-06-2015, 02:49 PM
Supreme Member

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts
Car: 87 IROC Z28
Engine: 355 cid TPI
Transmission: Custom Built 700R4 w/3,500 stall
Axle/Gears: QP fab 9" 3.70 Truetrac

FireballXL5, you really should start your own thread. No one's going to know you're here looking for help on someone else's thread. If you want interval wipers, you'll need an interval wiper motor and/or an interval wiper module with a matching motor and switch, along with the correct harness to connect everything. You don't say what year your car is. GM changed designs a few times over the years.
Old 10-06-2015, 02:51 PM
Supreme Member

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts
Car: 87 IROC Z28
Engine: 355 cid TPI
Transmission: Custom Built 700R4 w/3,500 stall
Axle/Gears: QP fab 9" 3.70 Truetrac

Originally Posted by Mkos1980
I cant think of the name off hand but you guys know what I am talking about. I'm replacing it due to that its fading out, and I'm reduing the interior. Thanks
Multifunction switch
Old 10-06-2015, 05:44 PM

Car: 1988 FORMULA
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: 4spd auto
Axle/Gears: standard

Thanks wasn't sure about that, but kind of knew in the back of my mind.
Old 02-28-2016, 08:09 PM

Car: 84 Camaro and a 82 camaro
Engine: Both are 5.7 litters
Transmission: Both are manual transmission
Axle/Gears: Both 3.73

Clip pliers?