Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

tightening belts

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2003, 01:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1986 Pontiac Trans Am
Engine: LG4 305
Transmission: T5
tightening belts

my car's belts are squeaking. can anyone give me a detailed description of how to tighten the belts myself? it doesn't look like it is that hard.
Old 01-15-2003, 04:01 PM

Received 216 Likes on 177 Posts
Ding,

It would help to know which belt is squeaking. It would also be a good idea to remove the belts, inspect them for cracks and glazing, and replace any of those that appear worn. At this same time, you should clean the sheaves (grooves) that the belts ride in. Any contamination (especially coolant) will cause slipping and glazing again in a short time.

Your alternator and water pump has a 4-rib poly 'V' belt, and is the easiest to adjust. Loosen both the lower pivot bolt and upper anchor bolt on the alternator. Tension the belt on the alternator and tighten the anchor bolt, then the pivot bolt. You can apply tension to the belt by carefully prying the alternator outward through the top hole in the alternator mounting bracket, but be careful to engage the prybar tip at the thickest portion of the alternator case so you don't crush the housing.

The next easiest belt is the A.I.R. pump, right below the alternator. Loosen the lower pivot bolt, the upper arm mounting bolt, and the anchor bolt (in the adjustment slot). Tension the belt, then tighten the anchor bolt, then the pivot and upper arm mounting bolts.

For the power steering pump, you must loosen the air conditioning compressor belt first, since that belt also engages the steering pump sheave. Once the compressor belt is loose, loosen the three anchor bolts and one pivot bolt holding the pump. Two of the bolts are down low and at the rear of the pump, and are difficult to access. Still, they must all be loosened. Tension the belt, then tighten the anchor bolts, then the pivot bolt.

DO NOT pry against the pump reservoir when tensioning the belt, or you'll be searching for a replacement pump in about two minutes.

The air conditioning compressor has one pivot bolt and three anchor bolts. Two of these anchor bolts are mounted on the rear of the compressor and brackets, but are a lot easier to access than the steering pump bolts. All of these must be loosened. At this point, a 1/2" ratchet or breaker bar can be inserted into the square hole on the front mounting bracket for the compressor. The ratchet or bar is used as a lever to tension the belt while the anchor bolts are being tightened. It's a two-handed job at least. Tighten the anchor bolts, then the pivot bolt.

If you are planning to replace any belts (which would probably be a good idea unless they are all less than a year old), realize that the steering pump must be done first, then the AC compressor, then the alternator, and finally the A.I.R. pump - in that order. Look at the arrangement of belts, and you'll see why installing at least a new steering pump and AC compressor belt is worth the minimal cost of the parts.