Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

fuel problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2003, 08:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
fuel problem

383, lumpy cam, edel.750...edel.perf.RPM, ....

The eng. has a mechanical fuel pump(holley 6-7 psi, 70gph i believe) 3/8 fuel line, new strainer in the tank..and those clear glass fuel filters.....

When i start the car the fuel filter is full to the top, seems like every things runnin fine, but when the car heats up....the fuel doesnt fill even 10% of the filter...thought it was the fuel pump, changed it to the holley stated above, same problem, thought it was a clogged strainer, just changed it in the tank, and checked all the lines, every thing looks good.

i dont have a fuel pressure regulator, do i need one?

The fuel line lays close to the head, might the heat evaporated the fuel in the line, regardless im gonna change that tomorrow.

the car seems to lose performance once its hot.

Im guessing the heat + fuel pressure regulator is my prob.

Any suggestions?...
Old 02-10-2003, 11:14 PM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 87 Grand National
Engine: 3.8 SFI Turbo
Transmission: BRF 200R4
Vapor lock. I also have this problem. The gas in the fuel line is being heated to the point of expanding. The pump is trying to pump fuel but instead its receiving vapor. A lot of times the expanding fuel will seep through the needle and seat in the carb adding to the surges you feel when the car bogs. I am totally rerouting the fuel line away from my headers. This is probably what you will want to do also.

BTW- unless you want your car to go up in flames I'd suggest getting rid of that glass hazard!! I have 2 friends who had their cars go up because of those damn filters. I found mine leaking just in time luckily and removed it after getting verbally beaten by them! Just get a regular spectre or what not.