Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Help Me on this one.

Old 10-20-2000, 01:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help Me on this one.

This problem has stumped me, my local mechanic, and the pontiac dealership. Now I
leave it in the hands of my fellow thirdgeners. Please help me.

My car is an 89 gta w/ a auto 350. I have made a custom ram air w/K&N air filter,
underdrive pullies,tpis air foil,lowering springs,fuel pressure regulators,and a proformance resource chip.

After I placed the PR chip in the car it ran better but it did not carry enough volts
because I dont think the underdrive pullies were taken into account when the prom was
burned.THE PROBLEM IS 1 out of 10 times I start the car the enging turns but the
injectors are not recieving the eletronic pulse to spray in fuel, it kind of trickels in. I thought it might be the injectors so I had them sent away and cleaned but the funny
thing is that when it cranks and doesn't start if you spray starting fluid in it fires right up and is perfecaly fine. It runs great for a couple days and then the intermediate no start kicks in again. I diddn't mind until early last summer when I wanted to sell the car and get a TTA which I found a good deal on, so I brought it to my mechanic who has always worked on my car and none of their diognostic machines could locate the problem
so they replaced the ECM, recleaned the injectors,replaced the ignition module, and still no luck. After countless man hours he said I should bring it to the pontiac dealership because they have parts available to mix and match, plus the comprehensive manuals for my car. Well I brought it to them and they had it for a week and replaced the ignition coil & the Module in the distributor and claimed it was fixed. It was fixed for 3 days and then it kicked in again. So I brought it back and that was June 15th and to this day it hasn't been fixed and they replaced the distributor, mass air flow sensor, checked the wireing for cracks or breaks, replaced the prom w/ a factory one,Cleaned the injectors (again)...
Now you can only immagine how much money I have sunk into this problem and the car is
now sitting in my friends mom's garage until I can figure out what to do. If I can't fix it soon I will sell the car as is for $4,000 because it is perfect condition, everything works,nice paint, 350 w/ t-tops, leather, etc... but I really need some new advice guys.

Completely Lost
Pape-Dawg
89 GTA
Old 10-20-2000, 05:57 PM
ede
TGO Supporter

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i'd wait till i got the no start again and check the injector harness with a noid lite. if you have access to a scanner i'd look at the injecter pulse width, or any activity for the injecters. i'd also wonder about a bad injecter relay and TPS. now that i've said all that i'll say i'm no expert on EFI.

------------------
-=ICON MOTORSPORTS=-
Old 10-20-2000, 06:25 PM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 2006 Silverado 1500
Engine: 5.3L
Transmission: 4L60E
you may want to check your distributor for any problems. if the computer doesn't see rpm signal it doesn't fire the injectors. easiest way is to use a scanner and check for rpm during crank when it happens.
Old 10-21-2000, 09:38 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1997 Jeep Wrangler
Engine: 4.0L
Transmission: 5 speed
Axle/Gears: 8.8 rear, 4.56 gears, 4:1 transfer
PapeDawg

You are not alone, I have the exact same problem as you do. I have posted here and several other message boards with no answer at all.
The only thing I have noticed is when it doesn't start the ECM is warmer then usual, almost hot to touch. It will start with a cool ECM, I have tried it. So all I can figure is it's drawing current when the key is off, heating it up and leaving us stranded. I plan on carring a ampmeter with me and when it acts up, take the current reading from the battery with everything off. It should be around 35-50 ma. That'e because of the clock, stereo memory and ECM memory. Any more then standard readings and I will be pulling fuses and connectors to see which one is loading the ECM down.

This is real important for us to get fixed, unpridicable cars are no fun. Let me know what you find and I will do the same as soon as it fails again.

Do you also mean that it WILL start with spray start? I have never tried that. Will it stay running? Please respond.

John

------------------
86 Camaro Sport
383 Speed-O-Motive Crate Engine, Trick Flow Heads, 58mm Accel TB, 3.73 Auburn Pro, SLP Cold Air Induction and Headers, Dynomax Cat-back, Serpentine belt setup.

http://64.176.105.239/octride.htm