Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Cold Spark Plugs Vs. Hot Spark Plugs

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2000, 11:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cold Spark Plugs Vs. Hot Spark Plugs

I am sure this question comes up a lot. But i need to know, what the differences are between the two. Right now im running accel u groove plugs with sucess. But the are the equivilent to a R45s AC plug. So I went and bought some R43s plugs. I want know what to expect. I have mallory promaster coil, accel cap rotor, plug wires, headers, edelbrock performer rpm intake and holley 600cfm 4bbl. If any of that makes a difference. And if it makes a difference in performance, where will it be like top end or bottom end.
Old 10-26-2000, 09:51 AM
Supreme Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Car: 1986 Firebird
Engine: 2.8 V6
Transmission: 700R4
The "path" the heat takes inside the spark plug is different for hot & cold plugs.

For a cold plug, the heat path is shorter (more direct) from the center electrode to the head. Heat gets sucked into the engine's head quickly.

For a warm plug, the heat path is longer inside the plug, which keeps the plug hotter. I had a website with a great diagram of this, but lost it- anyone know what site that was?

------------------
-Tom P (Hot rodded 1986 Firebird 2.8l) from http://www.f-body.net/mailbag/3rd/3rd_mailbag.html message boards
Old 10-26-2000, 10:42 AM
Supreme Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Car: 4
Engine: 6
Transmission: 5
A cooler plug will allow more ignition timing under heavy loads without detonation, especially in a high-compression motor, since the plug is one of the hottest things in the cylinder. A hotter plug will run cleaner longer, and will fire better at medium to high RPM under light load (cruising). Just as a general guide, hotter plugs usually go in lower-compresion, lower-performance motors. There's no "magic number" though; every motor combo is different. You will probably notice no difference in performance or longevity with the change you are making.

------------------
"So many Mustangs, so little time..."