Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Swapping my gauge cluster

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2003, 04:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 86 T/A
Engine: 305
Transmission: 700-R4 Auto
Swapping my gauge cluster

I want to replace my 86 T/A stock gauge cluster with a better T/A gauge cluster. I just need to know if it is a hard process to swap my whole gauge cluster? What is the whole process of doing it? Here is the pic of the gauge cluster I want to put in my car.
Attached Thumbnails Swapping my gauge cluster-gauge-cluster.jpg  
Old 08-19-2003, 05:46 PM
Scott C-2

You'll need to remove the top dash "pad" first. There will be screws along the bottom edge and also 4 at the top near the defroster outlets...(at least there are on a Camaro)

Tilt the steering column down for better access to the instrument cluster. Romove the trim panel that goes around the instrument panel. Once that is removed, you can see the screws that mount the instrument panel to the dash. Remove them all and gently pull the instrument panel away from the dash. It is just plugged in with the connector on the back side...

Hopefully this helps. I know it's fairly brief, but you should get the idea...It's about a 1/2 hour job if you just take your time and work smart.

Good luck