Search

Go Back   Third Generation F-Body Message Boards > Tech Boards > Tech / General Engine
Register Forgot Password?

Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!
Sponsored by Weld Racing
Click Here

Welcome to ThirdGen.org!
Welcome to ThirdGen.org.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join the ThirdGen.org community today!

Old 07-25-2000, 03:43 PM   #1
RSS

Classifieds Rating: (0)
Can you solder an exhaust pipe?

I was just wondering if one of those really powerful soldering guns could do a job similar to welding. I'm not talking about really a hardcore weld but just enough to maybe keep 2 pipes together or stop a leak.
RSS is offline vBGarage Page   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2000, 04:01 PM   #2

Exhaust pipe is usually pretty nasty, unless it was brand new it would be very hard to solder. It also is a really good heat sink, it would take a propane torch. It might work if you are far enough away from the engine to not soften or melt the solder from heat. I would put a soldered exhaust system about in the same category as one held up by coat hangers. It may work, but it sure isn't anything like the right way.

[This message has been edited by Dr. Pepper (edited July 25, 2000).]
Dr. Pepper is offline vBGarage Page   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2000, 05:01 PM   #3

Send a message via ICQ to Stuart Moss
Not worth even thinking about.

First, there are no soldering guns that could get hot enough to get the metal hot enough to melt the solder (about 600°F).

Second, even if you could get the metal hot enough, lead/tin will not adhere to iron/steel, even if you used an acid flux. Solder will work on non-ferris metals like copper, bronze, brass, etc., but by no means will a strong bond be achieved.

Best method of heating the pipe would be with an acetylene torch, but then if you had one of those, it'd be a simple matter to just weld it together. After welding, my second choice would be brazing it.

To make a cheap/fast repair, I'd sway more toward getting a sheet of sheet metal (home centers sell small pieces of it) that I'd cut to fit over wherever you have the leak, and put some stainless steel hose clamps over it to keep it shut. Maybe you could put some gum under it to help seal it - haha.

Cheaper still? How about some aluminum foil, wrap several layers over the area you want to seal, and then wrap some wire (coat hangers?) over it to keep it in place.

Actually, I think coat hangers would be a step up from what you were thinking of.

Cheers

[This message has been edited by Stuart Moss (edited July 25, 2000).]
Stuart Moss is offline vBGarage Page   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2000, 06:14 PM   #4

Easy. I do it all the time at work. However, the catch is you must use "silver solder" and a gas torch.

Just wire brush the area clean, use silver solder paste flux, heat it on a mild gas flame, and apply the silver solder. Once it is set up, it will stand up to any heat you can put in the exhaust system.

------------------
FORMULA 350 TK
Southern California 3rd Generation F-Body Organization©
Tom Keliher is offline vBGarage Page   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2000, 08:02 PM   #5
ede
TGO Supporter

Send a message via ICQ to ede
soft solider would work too, but it wouldn't be very effective. to make a good joint it must be clean or rust, greese, and anything else that can contaminate the joint.
ede is offline vBGarage Page   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2000, 09:36 PM   #6

Send a message via ICQ to ShadowChild
just get some of that muffler tape. wrap it around it and start the car to get it warm enough to melt in to it. works pretty good on small repairs

------------------
87 Iroc-z and a 77 camaro currently being restored
http://satanzchild.isonfire.com
ShadowChild is offline vBGarage Page   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2000, 11:11 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally posted by Tom Keliher:
Easy. I do it all the time at work. However, the catch is you must use "silver solder" and a gas torch.

Just wire brush the area clean, use silver solder paste flux, heat it on a mild gas flame, and apply the silver solder. Once it is set up, it will stand up to any heat you can put in the exhaust system.
Tom,

I was about to pipe-up with silver solder as an alternative, but you beat me to it. It WILL adhere to steel and iron, and WILL withstand all but internal catalytic converter heat. I've made my own 'T' handle wrenches that way, and usually the Allen wrench fails where it was annealed before the joint lets go. It also makes a fair radiator repair.

Later,
Vader

------------------
"Some Body...Someone"
Vader is offline vBGarage Page   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2000, 07:32 PM   #8

silver solder on an exhaust system?! I'm taking an air conditioning class, and the instructor is always talking about how great silver solder is, but how expensive it is too. To my way of thinking, if you're trying to do something other than welding, you're doing it to save money. if a pipe rusted through and you want to make a semi-permanent repair, cut the pipe all the way through and get some of that flexible exhaust tubing to cover the break. clamp it on and you're done. I do that when I need to buy some time until I can do the job right.. you're lucky if you can get that stuff to last through one michigan winter.
gravitar is offline vBGarage Page   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2000, 08:53 PM   #9

im not sure of the exhaust temp on the chevy v8, but i know that some 4 cylinders exhaust gas gets up to 500 C, which is well beyond the melting pt of solder. Click the image to open in full size.
radracer is offline vBGarage Page   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2001, 03:41 AM   #10

Car: 1988 Mustang GT
Engine: 302
Transmission: T5

Send a message via AIM to dans82bird
Don't solder an exhaust system! do it right, use a welder (oxy/acetylene or whatever). I would think that the exhaust gets hotter than the melting point of the solder. If its a leak then brazing should work...
dans82bird is offline vBGarage Page   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2001, 02:40 PM   #11

Since I've done quite a bit of plumbing in my life I'll add my two cents. I do not have much expierence with silver solder or other types of solder made to adhere to ferrous (iron) metals. However, you have to get that sucker red hot to melt the solder upon it and I guarntee what you're soldering won't get red hot anytime during normal operation (you need and extreme lean condition or a very clogged cat to do this). I would consider it a viable option, not better than just zapping it with a MIG but you have go to use what you have.

------------------
1984 WS6 Trans Am Hartop
Former L69 Car under restoration
1984 Trans Am T-tops
4-bolt main 350, performer intake, headers, Holley 650, T-5, hayes clutch, dual elec. fans and 3.23's.
Daily driver and restoration
13.98 @ 101
84FTA is offline vBGarage Page   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2001, 09:28 PM   #12
Supreme Member

Car: 89 IrocZ
Engine: L98-ish
Transmission: 700R4

Re: the silver solder...yes it would work, but only if there was a slip fit from one pipe to the other...don't think you could butt the two together and have it hold.
8Mike9 is offline vBGarage Page   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2001, 09:28 PM
ThirdGen
1992 Camaro

Paid Advertisement

Go Back   Third Generation F-Body Message Boards > Tech Boards > Tech / General Engine

Tags
car, catalyc, converter, exaust, exhaust, fix, hole, muffler, pipe, pipes, silver, solder, system, tape, temporary