Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Car won't crank! Q:Would anything blow or short because of starting car without ESC?

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2001, 07:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car won't crank! Q:Would anything blow or short because of starting car without ESC?

I have an '87 GTA 350 TPI. I disconnected the Electronic Spark Control Module (Don't ask me why, crazy idea) and when I turned the key it had a split-second of cranking and turning over then went dead - no noise, but still had full power to everything. I have full power to all accessories, hatch, gauges, radio. I hear the fuel pump click on when the ignition switch is turned to on-start but other that that nothing, no sound or activity. I am showing good voltage at battery and on gauge. Now I'm stuck in driveway since car wont crank. I have had some insights based on another post I have but I am posting this since it is more specific; perhaps new thoughts? Please help if you can. Thanks!

F-Messenger

Old 03-12-2001, 10:14 AM

Car: 1991 GTA Convertible
Engine: 350
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.73
Try replacing the ESCM with a new one. The one in there now might have shorted out when you disconnected it and tried to start it. A voltage may have jumped from the wires to the module and shorted the thing out.

------------------
1988 GTA 5.7L TPI Auto
355 ci. block, SLP Cold Air Intake w/ K&N, fully modified MAF Sensor, TPIS 52mm Throttle Body w/Air Foil, Fully Ported and Polished Plenum, Nikel-plated Ported SLP Siamesed Runners, Ported TPIS Big Mouth Intake Manifold, stock heads w/ 1.52 Comp Cams Self-aligning Roller Rockers, TPIS ZZ-9 Roller Camshaft, TPIS Valve Springs, Cloyes True Double Roller Timing Chain, TPIS Adjustable Fuel Pressure Regulator, Ford Motorsports SVO 30 lb/hr Fuel Injectors, MSD 6AL, Taylor 10mm Wires, Bosch Platinum +4 Spark Plugs, MSD Blaster Coil, MSD Shift Light, March Underdrive Pulleys, 6 3/4" Vibratech Streetdamper, TPIS Level 4 PROM, 160 T-stat, Low Temp. Fan Switch, Stock Distributor w/ Bronze Gear, SLP 1 3/4" Headers, Random Technologies High Flow Cat., Adjustable Borla Cat Back Exhaust, Flow Tech Pre-Cat 3" Exhaust Cut Off, ZR1 Heated O2 Sensor, Level 10 PTS-3 700R4 Trans, B&M Holeshot 2400 Stall Converter, B&M Trans Cooler, TCI Aluminum Finned Trans Pan, Torque Converter Lock Up Switch, 3" Balanced Aluminum Driveshaft, 3.73 Richmond Gears, Auburn Pro-Series Differential, Aluminum Differential Cover w/ Main Cap Preloads, BF Goodrich Drag Radials 255/50 R16, Hotchkis Lower Control Arms, Hotchkis Panhard Rod, Hotchkis Tie Rod Adjuster Sleeves, Bilstein Heavy Duty Shocks and Struts, 1LE Springs, Energy Suspension Polyeurethane Bushings, Global West Tubular Subframe Connectors, Global West Steering Box Brace, HP Motorsports 3 Point Strut Tower Brace

"Why ride a stang when birds can fly?"

http://www.geocities.com/thegta
Old 03-12-2001, 11:20 AM
Supreme Member

Joseph, they pay You by the Word for that Mod list ?

------------------
60 Ranchero - Project ( Money Hole )
85 Sport Coupe LG4 - Daily Driver

Just another Hot Rod kid, or thats what they all tell me.
Livin' the Stereotype
Old 03-12-2001, 12:18 PM

Received 216 Likes on 177 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Bort62:
Joseph, they pay You by the Word for that Mod list ?
</font>
Dammit Bort - I was eating a sandwich when I read the post. Have you been hangin' with Box 'O Rocks? Between both of you, my monitor is going to look like a lunch counter.

------------------
Later,
Vader
------------------
"I'm'a do Things My Way - It's My way or the Highway."
Adobe Acrobat Reader
Old 03-12-2001, 05:04 PM

Update:

I tested all my fusable links to make sure they had voltage on both side of link for each one. I then investigated the purple wire going to the starter. I noted it had "0" voltage and imagined that the when you turn the key it drops 12 volts on it to start starter. So I tested my theory by tapping into the purple wire and then touching it to the 12-volt post of battery (with the key turned to on of course) and BOOM it cranked over without a hitch! So now I must investigate why when I turn the key it doesnt drop 12 volts onto the purple wire. Any ideas? Thanks!

F-Messenger
Old 03-12-2001, 07:07 PM

Car: 84 T/A
Engine: 305HOL69
Axle/Gears: 3.42
I'm taking a guess at this, but see if there's a fuse under the dash that's labeled "crank". Or check out the neutral start switch on the shifter. If that's not it, try taking this to the Electronics board, they'll probably know.

------------------
DR Stevens
Car #1:
1984 TransAm
305 HO (L69)
750 cfm Q-Jet reman. by Holley
K&N filter
700R4/Superior shift-kit
3.42 lim.slip
underdrive pulleys
Accel HEI Super-Coil
180 stat/hi flow water
pump/Jet fan switch
dual snorkel /w/ hood louver
3" exhaust of some sort
partial emissions delete
Car #2:
1991 Firebird/Formula
305 TBI (LO3)
K&N air filter
Hypertech Thermomaster Chip
more in the near future

[This message has been edited by eightTfourTA (edited March 12, 2001).]
Old 03-13-2001, 10:47 PM

Update:

* Found the problem *. After doing much TroubleShooting.... At this point; Took off center console and used a Fluke meter on the one Yellow wire coming into Park/Neutral Safety switch (this comes from the igntion switch) and measured 12 V dc when turning the key-cylinder lock to "crank" position on. So I knew 12V was getting to P/N switch. Then I measured for the 12V on the purple wire (which goes to starter) when shifter was in park or neutral, and I wasnt getting it. I took the switch off, messed around with the switch itself, placing it in all positions and but it would not pass the 12V to the purple wire. Of course I took a jumper wire and jumped the yellow and purple wires directly together (bypasing the park/neutral safety switch altogether)to test whether everything else was ok, and when I turned the key to crank it, it worked like charm, so I concluded it was the switch. I was also noting my reverse lights flicker on/off, stay on. go off, and just exhibit plain intermit. behavior when the shifter was in "R" and not car wasnt even moving, so that was another clue that it was the P/N safety switch. So I am getting another Park/Neutral saftery switch and throwing that in there and BOOM -- off we go! Thankyou everyone for your input, it helped!

F-Messenger
Old 03-13-2001, 10:56 PM

Car: 84 T/A
Engine: 305HOL69
Axle/Gears: 3.42
You're welcome.

------------------
DR Stevens
Car #1:
1984 TransAm