Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

HOT CAM Retrofit

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2001, 12:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1968 Camaro
Engine: 406
Transmission: Tremec TKO
Axle/Gears: 3.42
HOT CAM Retrofit

I know the roller cam retro-fit topic has been covered before, but I just love the HOT cam. Problem, I have a 1978 350 block. I am planning on doing a retro-fit.
I do not want to call up Comp Cams and get a customs grind. The info I need:
#1. Which pushrods are used with comp cams retrofit roller lifters?(part number)
#2. What timing chain (part number) or manufacturer has a timing chain that can be used with the HOT cam in this application.
#3. Will this timing chain accept a roller cam button?
Any additional information would be appreciated.

------------------
355 c.i.
Dart 180 Heads
Lunati 224/224 cam
Harland Sharp 1.5 rockers
Performer RPM Manifold
Holley 600 cfm double pumper
Hooker Super Competition Headers
Flowmaster Exhaust
Competition Engineering Sub-frame connectors
Super T-10
GM posi 3.42 rear
Hurst Roll Control
13.9@102
Old 09-28-2001, 03:29 PM

Car: 1968 Camaro
Engine: 406
Transmission: Tremec TKO
Axle/Gears: 3.42
Come on. It's not impossible!
Old 09-28-2001, 07:37 PM

Car: 89 RS 355/ 89 IROC Convert
Engine: Hot Cam 355/TPI 305
Transmission: All 700r4's
Well I may be a little late but I can work with you on this...

1. stock gm roller Push rods with stock roller lifters (from any company for both) remember the blocks are the same. That I think would give you the same valve train from the 87+ block. Summit racing has the numbers thats where I got my new stuff at.

2. get the chain for the 87+ motor but check for the cam pin and make sure it is short enough to not touch the cover.

3. I think the buton will work but summit will be able to tell you that. You may be able to get the block taped for the retainer plate.

Brian

------------------
1989 Camaro RS

305 .030 over Hydro Pistons
Vortech heads milled to 58cc...Performer RPM intake....LT4 cam..Crane Gold rockers...FastChip custom chip...ALum. Driveshaft...3.73 gears with Posi...underdrive pullys...Rebuilt 700R4 with Vette Servo and B&M shift Kit...MSD ignition...A/C Delete No SMOG junk....1997 SS leather interior...B&M Shifter... Ultimate TBI mods...14X3 K&N open Element Non-Drop...Hooker headers....3" exhaust with Flowmaster Cross flow 16X8 Wheels from 97 RS Spohn LCA's Spohn Panhard Bar..LETS PLAY FORD!!

www.geocities.com/feltsb
Old 09-28-2001, 08:56 PM
Supreme Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Car: 4
Engine: 6
Transmission: 5
You can't use stock roller lifters in a pre-87 block. The factory invented some bizarre twisted nightmare hallucination of a mess that looks like somebody's college freshman engineering project that requires modifying the block casting as well as every single other part it touches, instead of simply adopting what all the rest of the world had already been doing successfully for decades. So, there's no way to put that stupid "spider" POS in the early block, which the factory's goofy roller lifters require. Use what is now referred to as "retrofit" roller lifters. These have an incredibly simple mechanism for keeping the lifters from turning: they are connected in pairs for each cylinder by way of a link bar.

1. You need Comp part # 7809 push rods. I have a set laying around that I will sell.

2. I'm not sure whether an early-style timing gear will fit correctly on a factory roller cam (again, the factory's moronic system required modifying the cam as well as the block). I know for certain that a factory roller timing gear (also different!!!) will NOT work in an early block because it will allow the cam to slide about 3/16" too far into the block. Call Comp or Lunati or Ultradyne or Crane, some one of them will no doubt be able to supply you with the correct timing set if any such thing exists.

3. Whatever timing chain you can find that is (a) the right thickness to fit the early block without the factory's funky retainer plate, and (b) the right inner diameter to fit the factory's altered camshaft nose. When you find such a timing gear, you'll need a cam button, which any timing gear will accept.

------------------
"So many Mustangs, so little time..."
ICON Motorsports