Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

B&M Shifter.. help me dammit

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2001, 06:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
B&M Shifter.. help me dammit

I pulled a b+m shifter out of a 85 camaro
i parted out, i want to put it in my 88 BUT
in the 85 it only had one line going to it,
my shifter has two.. i also have overdrive in mine and the 85 didnt have it. help???

Old 11-16-2001, 06:54 PM
Supreme Member

have to get a diffrent shifter ment for the over drive.
Old 11-16-2001, 07:19 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 1986 Trans Am, 1991 Firebird
Engine: 355 TPI, 3.1L V6
Transmission: 700R4 in both
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by TempesT68:
have to get a diffrent shifter ment for the over drive.</font>
Not True! The B&M megashifter was made for both overdrive and non-overdrive cars. There's a small little rod that's put into the shifter during install that makes the shifter a 3 gear shifter, take out the little rod and now it's an overdrive shifter. You have to take it out. Don't ask me where cuz I don't know I just know it's there. Also there's a place to hook up that other cable. Your best bet is to call B&M and get a copy of the installation instructions.

Old 11-16-2001, 09:28 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 99 Formula
Engine: LS1
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 342
Yep, that's true it is made for OD and 3 spd. The pin goes into one of the slots preventing going into OD, you'll have to relocate it into another hole for OD. Like said above, call and ask for directions. Oh, and by the way, I used my stock cable and didn't use the B&M one. Others have to, and I haven't heard complaints. You won't have to get under the car, but you will have to cut the brackets and drill one hole, I'm not exactly sure how it was done, that was 7 months ago, but it's not hard to figure out.

------------------
"Putting any amount of money into a RICE BURNER is like wiping your a$$ with a turd. "
'86 IROC
T-TOPS, TINTED WINDOWS, BRAKE LIGHT BLACKOUTS
GM GOODWRENCH 350
EDELBROCK TES HEADERS
3" Hooker CatBack w/Aero Chamber muffler
EDELBROCK 600CFM CARB.
KN AIRFILTER
ACCEL HEI DISTRIBUTOR
160* Stat, just switched to 180* b/c of winter coming and going to college in the mts.
3:73 Posi
Rebuilt 700R4
B&M Megashifter, 5" Autometer Tach w/shift lite
Old 11-16-2001, 10:56 PM

Car: 91 camaro
Engine: 383
When you say 'two lines' I'm assuming you mean two cables. The cable on the left (driver side) is the shifter cable that goes to the tranny. The other one goes to your steering column/ignition switch. It is to lock and unlock the steering column and allow you take the key out. It does not attach to the B&M shifter, instead it should be wired (not electrically, more like baling wire or something) or tied into position so you can get the key out of the ignition. You know how you can't take the key out if the car is still in drive? The shifter doesn't use the cable. Instead you put it permanently in the park position so you can get the key out, and the steering wheel will lock. The instructions that come with the kit explain this much better. You really ought to get a copy of the directions from B&M, they help a lot. As for the non-OD vs OD, they are the same shifter, but there is a difference in the setup. As previously mentioned, there is a metal pin that is removed for the OD. The other difference is the plastic strip that tells what gear you are in. The kit comes with two, one for non-OD, the other for OD. You may want to order this from B&M along with the installation instructions. Hope this helps.

------------------
91 Z28
Come see The Vicious...
Old 11-16-2001, 11:04 PM
Supreme Member

he didnt state Which B&M some like the star shifter and the quicksilver are 3-speed only the mega shifter might be able to work on both.
Old 11-17-2001, 08:45 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 99 Formula
Engine: LS1
Axle/Gears: 342
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by TempesT68:
he didnt state Which B&M some like the star shifter and the quicksilver are 3-speed only the mega shifter might be able to work on both.</font>
The Megashifter will work on both, there is no might be able to.

------------------
"Putting any amount of money into a RICE BURNER is like wiping your a$$ with a turd. "
'86 IROC
T-TOPS, TINTED WINDOWS, BRAKE LIGHT BLACKOUTS
GM GOODWRENCH 350
EDELBROCK TES HEADERS
3" Hooker CatBack w/Aero Chamber muffler
EDELBROCK 600CFM CARB.
KN AIRFILTER
ACCEL HEI DISTRIBUTOR
160* Stat, just switched to 180* b/c of winter coming and going to college in the mts.
3:73 Posi
Rebuilt 700R4
B&M Megashifter, 5" Autometer Tach w/shift lite