Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Please help...Car running rough.

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2006, 04:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1987 Camaro
Engine: Carb'd L31 Vortec 350
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: 4th gen torsen / 3.23
Please help...Car running rough.

Hey guys, here's the story:

I'm at college and my car stalled the other night. I had AAA tow it to a friend's driveway. I figured the problem was alternator/battery as the car would not start but the accessories would turn on. I changed both and the car started just fine. So I though my problems were over, however, on the ride back from my friends house to my college (20 minute drive) I made some observations:

1) There is a clicking sound coming from my engine, top of the block, carburetor area. If I rev the engine, the clicking becomes more rapid, and if I take my foot off the gas, the clicking slows down accordingly.

2) The car idles in park but when I place it in drive, the car stalls. (I had to drive with my foot on the gas the entire way back)

3) There is a strong burnt smell coming from the engine bay.

4) The car isn't responsive when I give it gas. The exhaust sounds very thick coming out of the mufflers.

5) The car severely overheated. When I got back, I noticed the car was very overheated and so I checked the coolant level which was fine, and then I checked the coolant in the radiator (It was fun when the coolant sprayed all over me and steamed all over the place). The coolant fan was working properly. There was also smoke coming out of the intake.

I don't know if any of these observations are black and white symptoms for a certain problem, but if you guys can give me a lead on anything, that would be great. I really need my car here at school, this is very inconvenient timing.
Old 05-06-2006, 05:06 PM
Banned

it kinda sounds like you lost a lobe on the camshaft
Old 05-06-2006, 08:58 PM

Car: 1987 Camaro
Engine: Carb'd L31 Vortec 350
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: 4th gen torsen / 3.23
What I want to know is, would it have anything to do with replacing the alternator and battery? Could the belt be too tight? I know it might be a stretch, it's just that the car was running FINE before losing electrical power. I was wondering if it they had anything to do with each other?