Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Oil pan is real close to Y-pipe....opinions?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2006, 08:21 AM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 83Z28 HO
Engine: Magnacharged Dart Little M 408
Transmission: G Force 5 speed
Axle/Gears: Moser 9" w/Detroit Trutrac
Oil pan is real close to Y-pipe....opinions?

I shoulda took a pic, but camera is out. But - I have an issue (or maybe not), with the Y-pipe coming from my TES headers. It's real close to the oil pan where it crosses under the frame. I know it's always pretty close even when using the stock pan and exhaust, but since I'm using a Summit pan it's even closer than that.

It's about 1/16th to 1/8th of an inch from the pan. You have to look pretty closely or else you'd think it's actually hitting the pan. And it's not like I can do anything about it - I can't adjust it so it's any further away....

I know the Y-pipe is going to be HOT, and might burn the paint on the outside of the pan a bit in that area, but do you think it'll also heat up the oil inside the pan and cause it to burn and crud up??

Anyone else had an issue like this? And were there any bad effects?
Old 06-24-2006, 12:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I noticed the same with mine.

take a look at this pic

here
Old 06-24-2006, 01:28 PM
Supreme Member

Received 78 Likes on 64 Posts
Originally Posted by Confuzed1
I shoulda took a pic, but camera is out. But - I have an issue (or maybe not), with the Y-pipe coming from my TES headers. It's real close to the oil pan where it crosses under the frame. I know it's always pretty close even when using the stock pan and exhaust, but since I'm using a Summit pan it's even closer than that.

It's about 1/16th to 1/8th of an inch from the pan. You have to look pretty closely or else you'd think it's actually hitting the pan. And it's not like I can do anything about it - I can't adjust it so it's any further away....

I know the Y-pipe is going to be HOT, and might burn the paint on the outside of the pan a bit in that area, but do you think it'll also heat up the oil inside the pan and cause it to burn and crud up??

Anyone else had an issue like this? And were there any bad effects?
I used header wrap on the pipe,, but mine was not quite as close as you're describing.
Old 06-24-2006, 01:31 PM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1990 IROCZ Camaro
Engine: 350 4bbl, 200cc Heads, 270hr Cam
Transmission: 700R4 w/ Trans-Go shift kit.
Axle/Gears: GM 10 bolt Posi
Im running a Flowtec Y-pipe that is a bit closer to the oil pan, and thus far, I have had no issues for a year. Wrap it in header wrap as stated if you are really worried.
Old 06-24-2006, 02:30 PM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 83Z28 HO
Engine: Magnacharged Dart Little M 408
Transmission: G Force 5 speed
Axle/Gears: Moser 9" w/Detroit Trutrac
Thanks for the replies everyone!

JB22 - I think mine might be a little closer. But....that's a huge Y-pipe you have under yours! What are you running for exhaust??

BadSS and GuitarJunki17 - Yeah, I thought of wrapping that section of pipe, and I probably will. I'll need to drop it down just to wrap it though! Glad to hear that it may not be an issue...

Thanks again!!