Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Fuel Pump Question

Old 08-11-2006, 07:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: Red 05 Viper SRT 10 & Yellow 03 Z06
Engine: 87 Camaro - 355 TPI Custom
Transmission: 5 Speed BW World Class
Axle/Gears: 3.73:1
Fuel Pump Question

Alright; so here's the story. I converted an 87' 2.8 automatic to a 5.7 TPI 5 speed. I have more money than sense; I know.

So, the last thing I had done, about 3 months ago, was put in a new fuel gauge sending unit cause the old one wasn't working. I basically haven't started or driven it since (it's not registered) The fuel pump (Holley) is brand new. The computer chip was burned for me and is not keyed in right - it's running really rich and I'm supposed to do a "block learn" before I can get it keyed in properly.

Whatever.

Anyhoo, today I come to start the car and it fired right up (I love Die Hard batteries). It ran for about 20 seconds, then it died - never to start again. When it died, I smelled an crack-load of fuel. I also smelled the fuel on a couple of the occasions that I tried cranking it back on.

I checked the fuel pump relay and it clicked when the key was put in the on position. I even swapped the mass-air burn off relay into there to double check the relay issue and that also clicked. Nevertheless, there's no fuel pump buzzing sound.

Is there a fuse I can check? If so, where is it? Could this be caused by ANYTHING other than a faulty fuel pump?

PLEASE HELP ME; I FEEL LIKE I'VE JUST BEEN PLACED BACK ONTO A PATH OF DARKNESS. All I ever wanted was for this stupid thing to run.
Old 08-11-2006, 08:46 PM
Supreme Member

Received 280 Likes on 218 Posts
Car: 1987 IROC-Z
Engine: 406 on N20 w/ EFI
Transmission: P.B. 700R4
Axle/Gears: 12 bolt w/ 3.91
yes, there is a fuse! on most 1987's it is located RIGHT near teh batery, mounted onto the innerside of the fender area, inside trhe engine bay. it should be ina fuse holder, i think a 15

there is also a fuel pump switch, and an oil pressure sensor that will shut off the fuel pump if they notice bad information coming to them
fuel pump switch - located near the distributer, in the back of the intake manifold
oil press switch - near the oil filter, screwed into teh block (you will need to get a special socket to remove it tho)

MOST LIKLEY. the problem is a bad ground wire.. (its happened to my 1987 IROC, and ALSO to my brothers 1987 Trans AM GTA
---
---teh fuel pump gorund wire (black coming out of hte tank) goes into the cabin, behind the rear seats, under the carpet, and goes to a connector, screw that is located under the drivers side rear seat, on the bracket... check that first

--easy way to find if it is a bad ground, is to get a volt meter, check if youre getting close to 12v at the pump on the positive wire, and hte sending wire .. (there are only 3, the other is the ground, and that goes to where i listed above)

check the fuse, on the inside of the fender, really close to the battery

let me know what u find...
Old 08-11-2006, 09:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: Red 05 Viper SRT 10 & Yellow 03 Z06
Engine: 87 Camaro - 355 TPI Custom
Transmission: 5 Speed BW World Class
Axle/Gears: 3.73:1
Fuel Pump Fiasco

Hey I appreciate the reply, but after I wrote that post I went back down and again looked for a fuel pump fuse in the fuse box under the dash (the 2 in the firewall were o.k.). I saw one (a 20 amp) that had the initials FP and some other abreviations. So I swapped it with another 20 amp and PRESTO! I heard the fuel pump buzz to life! So that was it. I guess after not starting it for a while and then kicking it over, I got a spike somewhere. What's funny is that the fuse itself doesn't look blown. It looks fine. I guess its just defective or there's a very small break in it.

Whatever the case, as long as it works. Next week I'm probably first going to have the carpet changed; install some MAJOR heat sheilding; and then get me that "block learn." Theoretically, I could have the car running like a cheetah within a month. It be interesting to see what it can do - it's supposed to have around 400 hp, at least on paper.

WISH ME LUCK!