Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

383 Build

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2007, 09:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1986 z28
Engine: 305 LG4
Transmission: auto
Axle/Gears: entirely stock
383 Build

The 305 LG4 in my car (1986 Z28) is totally shot. I bought it with the intention of putting a new engine in it eventually, I just wanted to drive it through the winter like it was so I would have time to build a good 400 small block. That isn't going to happen, and you can thank people who don't change their oil...ever. If the previous owners had, this engine would have many more miles left on it. Oil changes are good.

Anyway, this is my first time building a SBC since I am a ford guy, so I would like some input on my part selections.
  • 1972 350 block 2 bolt main - local (getting ready to buy)
  • Trick flow heads assembled - summit?
  • Chevy 383 Stroker Engine Kit - northernautoparts
  • Crane cam 100132 - comes with stroker kit
  • Complete ARP stud/bolt kit
  • Headers
  • Professional Products 8" SFI approved 400 external balancer
Very simple. I am wanting a mild engine that can be run on the street every single day. In fact, this car will be the sole transportation of my girlfriend once finished. I want something mild that will get decent fuel economy, but also pack one hell of a punch when wanted. I figure the stroker kit will give me more torque all through the power band and be a wise investment despite adding a good $500 to the cost. The cam is right on target I think, since it won't hurt low end power enough to notice and still give me a slight kick in the pants. It is a cheap stroker kit with hypereutectic pistons and an iron crank. I don't see me needing anything more than that, but I am not the biggest fan of hypereutectics, personally. I am wanting to use the stock intake and the CC quadrajet. This should help with fuel economy. I am looking for a compression ratio of around 9:1. This should let me get by with the worst quality gas without detonation should I get a bad tank. I haven't done the calculations to know what cc heads I should get with the pistons in the kit. There are various other things I didn't list, mostly just cosmetic.

The transmission will be built as well with the following specs.
  • 700R4 Level 3 from bowtieoverdrives
  • B&M Hole Shot 2400 Series
  • 400 Scat SFI approved automatic transmission flexplate #7020
Total cost for the engine including machine work and shipping costs comes out to: $3,400 for the engine. Trans is nearly $2,000.

Do I have a good lists of parts here? Is there anything better that I could get for my purpose and intentions, or am I on target?

Thanks for the help.