Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Various engine related issues (oil, smoking, coolant, etc.)

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2008, 12:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 88 iroc-z, 59 thunderbird 390/c6
Engine: 305 tbi
Transmission: b4c 700-R4
Axle/Gears: 2.73 open
Various engine related issues (oil, smoking, coolant, etc.)

Ok the motor is a 92 305 from a caprice classic, 80k on it then, about 95k on it now.

The motor starts right up, but smokes the majority of what its going to smoke right at start up, while idling and running normally there is never smoke that i can at least see... under hard acceleration it does seem to blow some amount of smoke out of the tailpipes, also unburned fuel i think!

On the contrary, While idling, it does seem to emit quite a bit of smoke but its not black smoke at all. It is mostly a white-ish color smoke that does seem to smell sweet...but at the same time smells like fuel and is very toxic to breath in as some guy at the local wendys drive-thru really understood

I just changed the oil, put 4 quarts of 5-30 and a quart of lucas stabilizer.
Checked it after 500 miles, on dipstick it read none! Motor ran fine no sounds, started motor, then oil everywhere on the dipstick??

Added 2 quarts of wolfs head 10w-40 because it scared me to run motor after still seeing no registerable amount of oil on dipstick.

Motor started and seemed to run smoother...but no other obvious change.

Mind you, water temp and oil press gauges are broken at moment and i havent had a chance to get new aftermarkets yet...so i am never aware of oil pressure or water temp.

In relation to the dipstick evidence, After adding 2 quarts of oil the dipstick now registers at the full mark. There seems to be no strong evidence of water in the oil besides for on the dipstick, which actually carrys water droplets halfway and towards the top of the tube. At the top it does seem to have some milkshake like substance but this is at the complete top portion of the dipstick.

I cleaned it all off multiple times and after running motor for awhile it seems to come back, or build-up.

Not that this matters much, but i also have replaced my thermostat lately to a stock 195 one, and filled with 50/50, radiator flush and all. I have noticed some coolant loss inside the radiator, but want to blame it on a very small leak the therm housing and/or it seems that when the motor warms up the radiator will actually emit steam from itself from the front left top corner, almost like its cracked?? Was hoping this would contribute to my coolant loss, and really wondering about why my car does some of these things.

I am pretty mechanical and don't mind getting my hands dirty at all so any/all advice on these issues is much appreciated!
Old 03-14-2008, 01:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 89 Firebird
Engine: 2.8L out of a 89 camaro
Transmission: 5 speed
Axle/Gears: ?
Re: Various engine related issues (oil, smoking, coolant, etc.)

new radiator .. definatly. milkshake on the dipstick.. bad, sounds like u have a coolant leak in the oil.. any puddles under the car while idleing or see any leaks of any type?

sounds like u have alot of work ahead of you... white smoke comming out of the exahust.. well thats most likely a blown head gasket. id check that.

get those gages fixed pronto. gauges tell you alot when it comes to engine problems
Old 03-15-2008, 10:09 AM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 1988 Trans Am GTA
Engine: 350 4BBL
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.27

Originally Posted by Iroc_youroll
Ok the motor is a 92 305 from a caprice classic, 80k on it then, about 95k on it now.

I just changed the oil, put 4 quarts of 5-30 and a quart of lucas stabilizer.
Checked it after 500 miles, on dipstick it read none! ... on the dipstick, which actually carrys water droplets halfway and towards the top of the tube. At the top it does seem to have some milkshake like substance but this is at the complete top portion of the dipstick... any/all advice on these issues is much appreciated!
I would tend to believe the original 80k was actually 180k or the engine wasn't maintained. If it used 2 quarts of oil in 500 miles and is consuming coolant, the engine needs to be rebuilt or replaced. (murmuring: "tree-fiddy, tree-fiddy, tree-fiddy")
Old 03-15-2008, 10:26 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1,664 Likes on 1,262 Posts
Car: Yes
Engine: Usually
Transmission: Sometimes
Axle/Gears: Behind me somewhere

Before just bypassing normal inspection and repair, and getting all wound up about jumping right straight to replacing the engine, I'd strongly recommend taking a look at the intake gaskets and the oil drainback holes in the heads.

You'd be amazed sometimes at what you can accomplish for $15 and an afternoon's time.