Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Timing verus Exhaust flame

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2008, 08:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1993 Caprice wagon "Shammoo"
Engine: tpi'd 406, with P4 ebl EBL 730 ECM
Transmission: custom "4L65" swap.
Axle/Gears: 3.42:1 with posi
Timing versus Exhaust flame

I'll try to keep this short. I'm trying to fire a brand new new motor. I cannot get my Acton Timing gun to Light up, but a spark plug test light shows spark to all plugs. It's a brand new system on a brand new motor.

All NEW Accel pieces, 32lb/hr injectors, distributor, cap rotor, remote coil, 8.0 mm wires. (there's is no need to trash Accel and reply that you think I should buy a different brand of parts. It won't be happening.)

Although, We have checked and double checked the distributor position, we are getting no where, everyone swearing that it went in right but...with barely a sign that things are firing off, I m not convinced. I'm trying to start with timing as an issue, but the Gun shows no signal to verify where I'm at. Noid light indicates injectors have signal from ECM, Pressure at fuel rail is 42lbs. VATS is off, injector flow rate and cylinder size changed, using Super_AUJP v4. loaded into a Prominator from Bill.

I was getting a report of a firing sound once in awhile, a plunk that changed to a higher pitch as the engine turned. It sounded like firing on bottom of the stroke, then as the piston comes up, the pitch changes. Think of a slide whistle being pushed in.

Thinking that would indicate, I'm way out of phase still, I loosened and re-stabbed the distributor four teeth clockwise.

I got a big flame out of one header, (still inconsistently) NOT a backfire out the throttle body, but at least out of the right end. I feel lost here.

What's your guess?

Last edited by lakeffect2; 06-01-2008 at 08:19 PM.