Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

HELP! My camaro won't start!

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2011, 03:54 PM
Supreme Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: 86 Corvette, 89 IROC, 1999 TA
Engine: 350, 350, LS1
Transmission: 700r4, 700r4, T-56
Axle/Gears: 3.07, 373, 4.10
Re: HELP! My camaro won't start!

Yung, you actually sort of said what is cauing your no start problem, except you were probably looking for a fuse instead of a fusable link. Your no start is almost defently caused by a fried fusable link. Look for the fan relay by your battery on the passanger side of the engine bay, off of that relay follow the orange wire to where it reaches the large wiring harness connector (it's an approx 3 1/5 long connector), it will be near the subframe rail in the same area as the relay about a foot away. Between the relay and that connector is a fusable link that you fill find is broken (maybe not visually, if not test it with an ohm meter to see that it is open). That wire supplies power for both the fan relay and the fuel pump relay, with the fusable link open the car won't start. Buy some replacement fusable link at the auto parts store and repair the wire (for a quick test you can simply jump the connection and try starting the car).
The following users liked this post:
TWON_3rdGEN (01-11-2020)
Old 08-24-2011, 11:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1992 Camaro RS
Engine: 305 TBI L03
Transmission: Auto
Axle/Gears: 2.73

im having the same problems in my automatic 92 rs. it has a 305 tbi. the fuel gauge doesnt work but one day i knew i was really low on gas what i think happened was that it ran out of gas. so the next day it started up but turned off two seconds later & would crank but not turn on. i brought it about 2.5 gallons of gas & tried to start it but it wouldnt crank anymore i tried jumpstarting it & it would crank but not turn on. the security light turns on when i put in the key but goes away after about 5 seconds. its my first car, bought it for 900 & i really miss it. i appreciate any replies
Old 08-28-2011, 04:17 PM

lol it just needed a new battery
Old 08-30-2011, 09:57 PM

so here is my issue and if anyone has a slight idea or has had the same problem i would appreciate some enlightenment on what is going on. while driving my 91 rs 3.1L 5 speed manual all day she ran fine. i get off the freeway come to a stop light and sit for about 2 minutes (everything seems up to par), turn left and drive about a quarter of a mile to another stop light, after coming to a complete stop and normal engine deceleration she set at idle for about 3 seconds and then shut off WTH? so i try starting it, cranks over and wont start. so far i have replaced the following. plugs, wires, distributor (with ecm). checked for fuel pressure, spark (all good) and that the throttle body is clear so it has the ability to run but just wont. when i spray starting fluid in the throttle body she tries to start but just ends up backfiring. i think that maybe the timing chain might have skipped a tooth, but i didn't hear any unusual noises. if anyone can give me some pointers i would appreciate it and thanks in advance.

Travis.
Old 08-31-2011, 08:58 AM
Supreme Member

Sounds like you may be on the right track, Try turning the engine over by hand to set the #1 piston at TDC with the timing mark at 0, remove the dist cap and verify the rotor is pointing at #1 or #6, if it isn't chances are you're correct. If this is the case pull the timing cover off and check the chain for excessive slack (might as well replace the timing set while you're in there either way since they are reletively cheap) Post what you find
Old 08-31-2011, 02:59 PM

Old 08-31-2011, 08:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1991 RS camaro
Engine: 5.7
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: peg leg for now

I have been in the process of swapping out my 305tbi for a 350tpi. It has been a headache. Yesterday I tried bumping it to set the distributor. It would bump a couple of times then nothing, then one or two more times then nothing. The security light would come on and then go off in about 3 sec. The fuel pump comes on and everything. After dropping the steering column and checking the switch, I removed the side panel at the fuse panel to gain access to the starter enable relay. I have voltage on the large yellow wire and the small yellow wire. However I didn't on the large green wire. I could turn the key and nothing, then I tap the relay and the car cranks. My question is- can I bypass the relay by connecting the yellow and green wire?
Old 09-01-2011, 01:49 PM

I hope you guys don't mind me posting this here. I didn't want to start a whole new thread, but I am having issues too.

What it does is I will turn the key and get absolutely nothing other than the fuel pump sound of turning on, and a fan if its hot. The lights are on and stay on. The inside lights and stereo are all on but when you turn the key everything on the inside completely shuts off. Once in a while I will get a check engine light to come on, but its always been like that when it gets hot. The battery gauge will dip down, but these last time it had a really good charge supposedly.

I have an 86 V6, manual transmission. I just got a brand new battery. I can drive it fine, once it starts it never dies and doesn't get too hot or anything, runs great. It will start about 6 or so times then I will have to jump start it. What I mean is I jump start it, drive it for a few days, then it will randomly not want to start again. At which I simply hook up jumper cables and it starts right up, I don't even have to wait for it to "charge" it or anything. After a jump it runs and starts fine for a few times before repeating. It seems it needs to run for a while before doing it? Another thing I noticed is sometimes if I take the battery plugs off and then put them back it will start up, but this doesn't work all the time.

I took the battery back to see if its holding a charge, and they said its fine, its perfectly charged like new still so it shouldn't be my alternator. My starter is also new and since it starts with a jump without much effort at all I doubt its that. I have had several people (not actual mechanics yet) look at it and we can't come to a conclusion on what it may be. Personally I think its arching out somewhere, but I have no idea where to look. Would this same issue fall under the "fusible links" you guys were talking about earlier?
Old 09-01-2011, 03:55 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by dewfamily
I have been in the process of swapping out my 305tbi for a 350tpi. It has been a headache. Yesterday I tried bumping it to set the distributor. It would bump a couple of times then nothing, then one or two more times then nothing. The security light would come on and then go off in about 3 sec. The fuel pump comes on and everything. After dropping the steering column and checking the switch, I removed the side panel at the fuse panel to gain access to the starter enable relay. I have voltage on the large yellow wire and the small yellow wire. However I didn't on the large green wire. I could turn the key and nothing, then I tap the relay and the car cranks. My question is- can I bypass the relay by connecting the yellow and green wire?
Try this to verify your problem. Turn the key to run position. Next simply jump power to the small terminal on the starter solenoid. The safest way I've found to do this is with a test wire clamped to the small terminal and simply tap the other end to the + battery terminal, if it starts right up you know the problem is defently the relay since a vats issue wouldn't allow the injectors to pulse. I'd say its pretty likely u found the issue if it works after taping the relay. The thing that I'm not sure of is did you have the key turned to run when doing this? If so did it start?
TWON_3rdGEN (01-11-2020)
Old 09-01-2011, 05:45 PM

Yeah, I was turning the key. Nothing would happen until I tapped the relay then it would start. Or should I say attempt to start. Right now I have to hold the gas pedal a little for it to run. but that is another thread.
Old 10-25-2011, 10:28 PM

Car: 1991 camaro z28 convertible
Engine: 5.0 v8
Axle/Gears: 9 bolt 3.23 borg worner

i have a 91 camaro rs auto trans ill start my car and itll run fine but if i turn it off itll randomly just not start. i put a new starter in thinking the starter went bad and nothing still same problem wen i try to crank it i get nothing no clicks no nothing need help
Old 10-26-2011, 05:43 AM

try tapping the starter enable relay behind the kick panel on drivers side while turning the key.
Old 10-26-2011, 05:47 PM

Engine: 305 Throttle Body Injection
Transmission: Turbo-Hydramatic 700R4 four-speed

try lookin at the starter/battery cable. mine shorted out and for months i didnt know why my camaro was losing power
TWON_3rdGEN (01-11-2020)
Old 10-26-2011, 06:55 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by littlevin91
i have a 91 camaro rs auto trans ill start my car and itll run fine but if i turn it off itll randomly just not start. i put a new starter in thinking the starter went bad and nothing still same problem wen i try to crank it i get nothing no clicks no nothing need help
is the security light on when this happens?
Old 10-26-2011, 07:11 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by soldierone
I hope you guys don't mind me posting this here. I didn't want to start a whole new thread, but I am having issues too.

What it does is I will turn the key and get absolutely nothing other than the fuel pump sound of turning on, and a fan if its hot. The lights are on and stay on. The inside lights and stereo are all on but when you turn the key everything on the inside completely shuts off. Once in a while I will get a check engine light to come on, but its always been like that when it gets hot. The battery gauge will dip down, but these last time it had a really good charge supposedly.

I have an 86 V6, manual transmission. I just got a brand new battery. I can drive it fine, once it starts it never dies and doesn't get too hot or anything, runs great. It will start about 6 or so times then I will have to jump start it. What I mean is I jump start it, drive it for a few days, then it will randomly not want to start again. At which I simply hook up jumper cables and it starts right up, I don't even have to wait for it to "charge" it or anything. After a jump it runs and starts fine for a few times before repeating. It seems it needs to run for a while before doing it? Another thing I noticed is sometimes if I take the battery plugs off and then put them back it will start up, but this doesn't work all the time.

I took the battery back to see if its holding a charge, and they said its fine, its perfectly charged like new still so it shouldn't be my alternator. My starter is also new and since it starts with a jump without much effort at all I doubt its that. I have had several people (not actual mechanics yet) look at it and we can't come to a conclusion on what it may be. Personally I think its arching out somewhere, but I have no idea where to look. Would this same issue fall under the "fusible links" you guys were talking about earlier?
the fact that your fan works and you can hear the fuel pump prime pretty much eliminates the fuseable like I was mentioning since it powers the relays to both the fan and the fuel pump. What you are describing sounds like a poor or corroded connection either at the battery terminals, the ground for the negative battery cable loose or dirty, poor connection at the starter, a poor ground or missing/broken ground strap, or a charging problem. Have you verified and load tested your charging system at the battery terminals when it's running? If you are positive that isn't an issue you defently have a poor connection somewhere, I'd start at the battery end and work my way down each wire and inspect/disconnect and clean the connections at both ends of both cables, also inspect the cables for signs of burnt through or cracked insulation around the wires themselves, if you get so much as a hole in the right place and it gets water in/on it you'd be shocked how much a battery cable can corrode under the rubber coating while still looking fine on the outside. If there is nothing visably wrong and you've cleaned all the connections and made sure they are all clean, tight, and there and the problem still persists I'd then ohm out both cables and check for excessive resistance in the cables themselves (an ohm meter can detect problems your eyes never see)
TWON_3rdGEN (01-11-2020)
Old 11-04-2011, 01:55 PM

Car: 1992 Chevrolet Camaro RS 25th Anniv
Engine: V8 5.0 305 TBI
Transmission: 700R4 Auto
Axle/Gears: 3.73

I have a 1992 Chevy Camaro RS 25th Anniversary Edition. It has a V8 5.0 305 TBI and a 4SPD 700R4 Automatic Transmission. I have replaced plugs, wires, cap, rotor, air filter, and bypassed the VATS. It was running before but extremely rough. At that time is when I replaced the cap and rotor. While doing so I noticed some rust and corrosion inside the cap so I cleaned it out. When cleaning it out I removed the ignition module to get out some more debri. after putting everything back to working order it will not turn over... It clicks as if the battery is dead... I've checked the coil and charged the battery... Does anyone know what maybe causing this issue? Thanks!

Last edited by 1992ChevyCamaro; 11-04-2011 at 02:14 PM.
Old 11-15-2011, 05:17 AM

Car: 1985 camaro Z28
Engine: 305 5.0 V8 carburated

I know it's a little late, but if it ever happens again just wipe off the resistor in the ke with your shirt or something.

I drove 5 hours to maine this weekend in my camaro, and when we went to leave sunday morning, it wouldn't start. We checked everything! My girlfriend wiped the key, and it started right up.

Same thing happened last night in a parking lot. We come out, no start. She wipes the key, and it starts. It could be as simple as that. I noticed this, and had to get it on this website somehow.
Old 11-27-2011, 01:50 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 1992 Black Chevy Camaro RS
Engine: 305 V-8 (IROC engine)
Transmission: Automatic
Axle/Gears: 700R4

Wow, this post really hits the spot! I have a 1992 Camaro RS 305ci TBI 5.0 automatic V8. I tried starting my baby when, like many others on this thread, it just wouldn't start. No noise or anything, yet all the dash lights came on except for one... the "security" light. I tried using my spare chipped key and still nothing. Well, after reading this thread I'm pretty sure that it's the starter solenoid. I'm gonna get it checked tomorrow, and I'm thinking there's a 90-95% chance that that's the problem. What do you think and how much do you think it would cost to fix it?
Other info: when I say "no noise when trying to start" I mean literally no noise, no clicks, nothing, just twisting the key to try to turn it over and nothing (Have I gone deaf ). There's plenty of power when trying to turn the car on: headlights, pwr windows, radio, interior lights all work perfectly.

Last edited by Kamerokid; 11-27-2011 at 11:28 AM.
TWON_3rdGEN (12-25-2019)
Old 12-14-2011, 06:22 PM

Hi I have a 91camaro rs 3.1 v6 mfi. It was running up to about a month ago. My g.f. turned her off then she wouldn't start at all. It did crank at the time. I had the ignition control module checked and its working. Solo. I replaced starter dist. Cap,rodor, plugs, wires, coil, timing chain, and sprockets,iaccoca's valve, starter relay, fuel pump, filter, fuel injectors, fuel rack, fuel pressure regulator, and some other things that aren't involved with starting. Basically I just did the timing chain and it was tdc w/ rotor pointing at #1 and the pulley mark states 10° before zero for technology. It all matched up. Try to start the car and she just cranks. Even though I'm having to wedge the starter relay for now. That was yesterday but today I go out after letting my spark plugs dry from all the trying to start it so much.put them in and she don't even crank. I do NOT have a vats problem as the passkey is seperated from my actual ignition. (Dashboard) i do have power but she wont even try to crank. Checked starter again today and they say it tests fine. I'm at a stand still as I have exhausted my knowledge of options. Please help if at all possible. (Ran codes all I get is 12)
Old 01-26-2012, 09:41 PM

Car: 92 camaro
Engine: 406
Axle/Gears: 3.73

if ur car is still dieng after u check battery and alt check and see if the cables by the battey have broke off the be a little black thing were u can screw cables on my car dis this while driving home thought battery was bad it died slowly but it wasnt my fuesable link was broke were wire meet by battery
Old 02-12-2012, 10:13 AM

i have a 1983 chevy camaro z28. i just replaced the alternator and tryed to start it but all i get is silence. one turn and all electronics gone on but once turned the rest of the way it is dead silence.... any ideas...........
Old 02-12-2012, 11:20 PM

Car: 1987 Iroc Z28 Camaro
Engine: 5.7 TPI
Transmission: 700R4

You just need to make sure the ground straps are all connected properly. One from the neg battery to chassis, from the chassis to the engine block, from the block to the firewall.

If your engine is not properly grounded the starter cannot complete it's circuit and, will not function.
TWON_3rdGEN (12-25-2019)
Old 02-15-2012, 07:26 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by Andrew Cameron
i have a 1983 chevy camaro z28. i just replaced the alternator and tryed to start it but all i get is silence. one turn and all electronics gone on but once turned the rest of the way it is dead silence.... any ideas...........
If it ran just fine before the alternator went and all you did was replace it are you POSITIVE you reconnected everything? I'd be willing to bet you left something unhooked..
Old 02-23-2012, 08:23 PM

Car: 1991 Camaro RS
Engine: 305 TBI
Transmission: 5 Speed Manual T5

We just went through something similar to this. We have a 1991 RS, manual transmission. The car would randomly start, just as described...turn the key, fuel pump is heard, but the starter would not turn over - as if it were bad and not getting juice and the security light would stay on. Sometimes we would jump the car as if the battery was dead, and the car would start up by basically just attaching the cables. When the car starts normally, the security light comes on for about 3 seconds, then turns off. In this situation, the security light stayed on until the key was turned off and removed. We checked all the cables, ground straps, we replaced the battery, had the alternator and starter checked out. All were ok. We checked the starter relay (by the kick panel), and still no response. We checked the key with an ohm meter and found the chip/resistor resistance would change ALOT! We had a new key made, and voila, it started up every time. Maybe this information can help you, and maybe others on this thread. It is rare for this to happen to the vats key, but it happend to us. Good luck.
TWON_3rdGEN (12-25-2019)
Old 02-24-2012, 07:09 AM
Supreme Member

Actually a very common problem, one of the first things you should check. Glad you figured it out
Old 03-05-2012, 07:58 PM

i have a 92 camaro i replaced the motor with an 89 motor. both were 305 tpi. i replaced the computer. and all the wires out from the computer. the car did crank but did not start no fule coming out of the injecters. have presur at the fule rail. now when you go to start the car. it wanst to cran but then stops. it does not do any thing for a few seconds then it will crank but not crank over. any sugestins.
Old 04-15-2012, 10:01 PM

Car: 1988 camaro
Engine: 305 v8 tbi

I'm having sorta the same problem with my camaro. Just got it out Friday to do a oil change and decided to go for a quick spin around the neighborhood and it started back firing then it completely died. When I turned the key to try to start it back up nothing happened. I still had the dash lights on and all that, but when I towed it home all the dash lights went out and it acts like its not even connected to a battery which it is and it's a brand new one. Could anyone help.
Old 05-03-2012, 08:09 PM

i have a 97 camaro rs 3.8l manual trans. car stalls and sometimes will start back up other times i wont get anything from ing. to engine. what would cause this problem? only happens once in a while when breaking. tried ing. control module and still does it. it does have the vats system in it. i just got it on may 2, 2012
Old 05-12-2012, 01:56 PM

Car: 1985 Z28
Engine: stock 305 for now!! to be updated!!
Transmission: th700r4
Axle/Gears: not sure stock for now!!

I have an 85 s... I'm having trouble starting! When I turn the key everything comes on .. when I turn it to start it goes dead won't turn over or nothing!! All gauges zero out like as if trying to start while in gear. Any help would be greatly appreciated!! I miss my car lol!!
Old 07-12-2012, 09:44 AM

Boyfriend has a '92 RS with a 3.1L engine. Among many problems, the car won't start now. He drove it to my house and turned it off for about 10 mins. Won't start now. We tried jumping it with my brand new car and it did nothing. It acts like it wants to turn over but can't. All the lights work and the radio too. He's outside checking whether there's a spark. Any ideas?? The radio has been turning itself off for the past week and the speakers are popping, don't know if that has anything to do with it. Any ideas on that would be great too!
Thanks!
Old 07-12-2012, 09:55 AM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 91 rs
Engine: Blow through 383, 10 psi, xr288hr
Transmission: Manual th350 ATI 3000
Axle/Gears: 3.50 9"

Hook up jump cables and charge the dead car for a few minutes before trying to start. Check battery connections. They must be clean.
Get a volt meter. Verify 12v at battery. Verify GOOD ground between engine and battery. Verify 12v at starter when cranking. If all this is good then starter is bad.
Old 07-12-2012, 10:42 AM

Thanks. The battery is new so I will have him check the starter. Do you think it might be the fuel injectors too? I know pretty much NOTHING about cars so he's kind of on his own.
Old 04-09-2013, 12:37 PM

Hey guys I'm kind of having the same problem, except with my Camaro, when I turn it to the on position & wait a few seconds, it cranks rather me turning it all the way over, and I just replaced my starter and my ignition switch! Any suggestions please????? Thanks!
Old 07-17-2013, 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by soldierone

my car does the some this i will go out to try it and it just will choose not to start some times then i will go out like 15-20 min later and will start up and run just fine any sugestions starter is new so i really dont think its that or my battery because that is also fine
Old 08-26-2013, 05:25 PM

I have a 1992 camaro rs, it will crank sometimes and sometimes it don't. Had battery checked and had a bad cell. Put new battery in same thing. But if i jump it off it starts right up. When it doesn't start there is not click when key is turned but lights, radio, and everything else comes on. Checked wire to starter and they look good. Not sure what else to check, alternator is good. Was running fine.
Old 05-24-2014, 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by Richie Hughes
I have a 1992 camaro rs, it will crank sometimes and sometimes it don't. Had battery checked and had a bad cell. Put new battery in same thing. But if i jump it off it starts right up. When it doesn't start there is not click when key is turned but lights, radio, and everything else comes on. Checked wire to starter and they look good. Not sure what else to check, alternator is good. Was running fine.
yesterday 1990 RS camaro with V6 ran great, then i stopped to eat come out car would not start.

VATS was bypassed about 2 years ago..........dash lights,headlights all work no cranking at all what could be the problem>?
Old 05-24-2014, 08:43 PM

I have a 1987 camaro 2.8 it will run if I pour gas in the intake. It has a new fuel pump...all sensors (except egr, mas air, fuel pressure regulator)...new computer...new relays...fuses are good...injector wire harness replaced...fuel pump runs...noid light flashes when I turn the car over. the car ran real crappy before I changed the sensors, computer, and fuel pump. the old computer had a burnt spot on the board...car still ran, but I changed it out anyway. I have good pressure to the fuel rail. I have good spark.
Old 06-19-2014, 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by 99transamgirl
does the engine make any sound like attempting to start or does it not even crank over?
You could prolly help me, my engine turns over but won't start! Do you know the problem
Old 06-22-2014, 09:19 AM

I did get it to run ....I pumped all the fuel out of the tank...put a new complete distributor, cap rotor and plugs. and it fired up and ran pretty good. it still does not want to idle...pops / back fires at low rpm. I tried timing it with a light but it seems like the electronic advance will not disable with the disconnect wire under the hood. I also rechecked the t.p.s. it checks out in spec...I plan on changing the plug wires, injectors, and possibly manifold differential pressure sensor, mas air flow,and e.g.r......
Old 06-22-2014, 09:25 AM

If your car has been sitting very long I would start with the fuel....
Old 06-22-2014, 09:30 AM

disco the fuel line feeding the rail...put a piece of rubber line on dumping into a jug big enough to hold whats in your tank and cross the pins on the diagnostic link that turns the pump on. empty the tank put fresh fuel in , run the pump again until the fuel looks good and see what happens.
Old 06-22-2014, 09:35 AM

oops i thought i was posting on a dif thread ( the thread about fuel issues)
Old 06-23-2014, 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by Trillthrill
You could prolly help me, my engine turns over but won't start! Do you know the problem
Yea it turns over just want start i check the battery and fuel pump I'm about to change sparks
Old 06-23-2014, 12:22 PM

will it start with starting fluid ? if so then make sure your getting fuel to the rail... if you are getting fuel to the rail...put a test light / noid on one of the injector leads and see if they are fireing when you crank it over...if they are I would drain the fuel and put fresh fuel in it
Old 06-23-2014, 12:34 PM

I spent a lot of time and money screwing with my camaro ...replaced practically everything...I did have multiple issues but in the end I think the fuel flush and spark plugs are what did the trick. in the beginning I did have a bad computer....the car would not flash any codes...engine light would not come on at all. after I changed that I could get it to putter / start on starter fluid. the new computer would only give code 12 (the code for no codes) so I started changing all kinds of crap. I never thought old fuel would completely keep it from running especially since there wasn't much in the tank and I put fresh fuel in as well.....but that was the problem. I had good pressur...good spark...timing was good...mechanical was good. I didn't get why it wouldnt start.
TWON_3rdGEN (01-11-2020)
Old 06-23-2014, 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by twrex
I spent a lot of time and money screwing with my camaro ...replaced practically everything...I did have multiple issues but in the end I think the fuel flush and spark plugs are what did the trick. in the beginning I did have a bad computer....the car would not flash any codes...engine light would not come on at all. after I changed that I could get it to putter / start on starter fluid. the new computer would only give code 12 (the code for no codes) so I started changing all kinds of crap. I never thought old fuel would completely keep it from running especially since there wasn't much in the tank and I put fresh fuel in as well.....but that was the problem. I had good pressur...good spark...timing was good...mechanical was good. I didn't get why it wouldnt start.
Thanks I'm going to try that and see how it goes but the computer and stuff is fine just tryn to get it to start is the problem
Old 06-23-2014, 02:29 PM

Hey man I got it to crank it's the fuel injector and sparks just goin to Change the sparks should run just right then
Old 07-15-2014, 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by SmArT-V6-
ur camaros starter wont turn? and u just repaced it? it fixed the problem?
my starter was doing the same thing only heard a click from the starter when i turned the key..replaced the starter still wouldnt start till i had the car jumped went to the auto parts store and had my battery tested it was really low so i bought a new battery and still just a click will sometimes start after i put the key in turn it a few times the take the key out wait about five minutes and try again.also has a two week old ign lock with correct resistance on new key.
Old 07-29-2014, 11:24 AM

I have a 1991 camaro rs with a 350, 5-speed manual, and I have a new battery and starter. I drove it to the store and it drove fine. Once I got home it set for about an hour then I go back to start it and nothing happens. The security light comes on but turns off after about 3 seconds. All my lights work and the radio turns on. Does anybody have this problem??
TWON_3rdGEN (03-16-2020)
Old 07-30-2014, 10:25 AM

Car: 1987 Iroc Z28 Camaro
Engine: 5.7 TPI
Transmission: 700R4

Big Dog 23. That would be the infamous VATS system. There are several articles posted on that already. Just search year make and model VATS and it should pop up for you.

Quick Reply: HELP! My camaro won't start!