Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

HELP! My camaro won't start!

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2014, 11:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: HELP! My camaro won't start!

Originally Posted by Batass
Sounds like you aren't getting enough voltage to the starter. I had this problem and found it by jumping (or hotwiring) power from the battery to the purple wire that goes to the starter solenoid. I just shaved a little insulation off the purple wire to make a contact.

I think there's a couple things between the key ignition and the starter solenoid that can be worn out and not allow proper voltage. I didn't bother figuring it out since I just installed a push button start instead.
I would like to quote this. i have the push button switch, i got the original ignition switch... the battery has died in my 91 RS and im still puzzled by the occurrence when i go to jump the thing to start... the batteries been through 60-F and i believe that's what killed this battery. Any more suggestions would be great
Old 07-31-2014, 11:58 PM

Originally Posted by oilking87
so here is my issue and if anyone has a slight idea or has had the same problem i would appreciate some enlightenment on what is going on. while driving my 91 rs 3.1L 5 speed manual all day she ran fine. i get off the freeway come to a stop light and sit for about 2 minutes (everything seems up to par), turn left and drive about a quarter of a mile to another stop light, after coming to a complete stop and normal engine deceleration she set at idle for about 3 seconds and then shut off WTH? so i try starting it, cranks over and wont start. so far i have replaced the following. plugs, wires, distributor (with ecm). checked for fuel pressure, spark (all good) and that the throttle body is clear so it has the ability to run but just wont. when i spray starting fluid in the throttle body she tries to start but just ends up backfiring. i think that maybe the timing chain might have skipped a tooth, but i didn't hear any unusual noises. if anyone can give me some pointers i would appreciate it and thanks in advance.

Travis.
If your looking for timing troubles, my 350 does the same, back fires when its at partial throttle. i believe it to be us on the pedal man. it back fires. so i think this thread is all about timing issues. not just the V6s. the tbi V8s too
Old 03-15-2015, 12:59 AM

Originally Posted by 92rs!
lol it just needed a new battery
im having the same problems in my automatic 92 rs 25th anniversary . it has a 350 . the battery guage doesnt work but one day it started up but turned off two seconds later & would crank but not turn on. Then i turn the key no dash light heat or radio no power to widows tried to start it but it wouldnt crank anymore i tried jumpstarting it & it wouldn't crank but not turn on. Until i removed the cable trying to get opinion.....thanks ahead of time
Old 03-20-2015, 09:31 AM

I have a 89 rs with a 75, 357 in it with 670 holley, and a 200 shot and I can turn the key and get the acc power on but I get nothing cranking at all no relay clicks or the starter solenoid turning on. new battery new starter tested both work good. Any ideas I'm hoping it the key ?
Old 04-09-2015, 04:18 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 1992 Black Chevy Camaro RS
Engine: 305 V-8 (IROC engine)
Transmission: Automatic
Axle/Gears: 700R4

Originally Posted by Kamerokid
Wow, this post really hits the spot! I have a 1992 Camaro RS 305ci TBI 5.0 automatic V8. I tried starting my baby when, like many others on this thread, it just wouldn't start. No noise or anything, yet all the dash lights came on except for one... the "security" light. I tried using my spare chipped key and still nothing. Well, after reading this thread I'm pretty sure that it's the starter solenoid. I'm gonna get it checked tomorrow, and I'm thinking there's a 90-95% chance that that's the problem. What do you think and how much do you think it would cost to fix it?
Other info: when I say "no noise when trying to start" I mean literally no noise, no clicks, nothing, just twisting the key to try to turn it over and nothing (Have I gone deaf ). There's plenty of power when trying to turn the car on: headlights, pwr windows, radio, interior lights all work perfectly.
Forgot to update all of you... Turns out it was a bad wire going into the VATS (think that stands for Vehicle AntiTheft System). Lucky me. Easy to get to. Just pop off the easy to remove dash and there it is! Took my mechanic 30 minutes to fix and only cost me around $60.00. *whew!!*
The following users liked this post:
TWON_3rdGEN (01-11-2020)
Old 04-16-2015, 02:36 AM

Car: Camaro Z28 1990
Engine: 5.0 V8 TPI
Transmission: Automatic

I have a Z28 5.0L Tpi and after putting a new Crankshaft in her and rebuilding the engine we put it back into the car and my son was helping too. So we are all ready to go, she turns over but won't fire up, hmm ok lets start checking everything, surfing the net and buying loads of parts that it could be, ICM , Distributor, Connectors, Rotor Arm, Dizzy Cap, etc etc plus Shipping from the US. 3 months later (Yesterday infact) and oh look what my son did He only Plugged the ICM 2 pin connector wire from the Coil to the sensor under the Inlet and plugged the 2 Pin Sensor wire onto the ICM that should go to the sensor under the inlet HAHA ! She Fires up now Easy mistake and we all learned something that day. I never even realized they are actually the same connectors and both fit eachother and are so close together lol Maybe it could help someone in the Future searching this baffling problem of No Spark.

Last edited by Turbulence; 04-16-2015 at 02:57 AM.
Old 06-28-2016, 09:21 PM

my Camaro was starting a bit sluggish, but it did start and ran good. Then here in my driveway, I turned it off. Came back and now there is not even a clicking sound. All dash lights are correct. Battery and starter are good, had them tested.
Old 06-28-2016, 09:39 PM

Car: 1987 Iroc Z28 Camaro
Engine: 5.7 TPI
Transmission: 700R4

Originally Posted by Biggd4355
my Camaro was starting a bit sluggish, but it did start and ran good. Then here in my driveway, I turned it off. Came back and now there is not even a clicking sound. All dash lights are correct. Battery and starter are good, had them tested.
Check the grounds from the battery to the chassis and, engine. I had a similar issue and, the grounds were filthy and, one was loose. In my 87 5.7 the grounds run down to the chassis on the passenger side in between the headers and coolant reservoir. The Engine ground runs down to the front of the block on the passenger side. There are also grounds on the back of each head and, on the firewall as well.
The following users liked this post:
TWON_3rdGEN (12-25-2019)
Old 06-28-2016, 10:18 PM

where does the purple wire that goes to the starter come from
Old 06-28-2016, 11:03 PM

where does the purple wire that goes to the starter come from
That comes from the ignition switch I believe. It is a positive and, does indeed control the engagement of the starter. If that one is broken you'll have to hunt it down and, sort it. If you have help and suspect that wire. Have your help hold the ignition in the cranking position and, use a test light to see if it powers. It would be best disconnected from the starter. Careful not to jump the starter. Did you take a look at your grounds?
Old 06-28-2016, 11:08 PM

didn't find a problem with the grounds. Tomorrow I will isolate the big power leads to the starter since I have it out and hook a wire to the purple wire, then feed that wire under the car ind inside where I will hook a test light to it. When I turn the key to start, it should light up.
Old 06-28-2016, 11:14 PM

If it is working then not working it's a connection issue. If it will not start at all anymore I would look for a fuse or possibly the ignition switch itself. Pain in the neck if it is the switch of course. what car is it?
Old 06-29-2016, 01:30 AM

Originally Posted by hilltop530
If it is working then not working it's a connection issue. If it will not start at all anymore I would look for a fuse or possibly the ignition switch itself. Pain in the neck if it is the switch of course. what car is it?
1989 Camaro. It was starting, but didn't sound right, slower. I knew something was wrong, but not what. the ignition switch went out in 97. They charged me 250,00 back then. But it quit all at once back then.
Old 06-29-2016, 05:11 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1990 RS, 2002 Chev Silverado
Engine: 305

I have a 1990 with 305 and auto trans.
Won't start. Has fuel but no spark. Cap and rotor look good. Could it be the ignition coil?
Vats seem OK. Ran fine and then wouldn't start.
Old 06-29-2016, 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by stegal
I have a 1990 with 305 and auto trans.
Won't start. Has fuel but no spark. Cap and rotor look good. Could it be the ignition coil?
Vats seem OK. Ran fine and then wouldn't start.
So, it cranks but will not run at all? No sputters or backfires? a few things to start off with. If you have a timing light hook it up to plug 1 then crank the car. If you get strobe you have spark to some degree. If there is no spark the easiest place to start would be the coil. You can take the coil wire off at the distributor and hold the end near a metal source (firewall, intake, ect.) Note: be very careful if you should choose to test it that way. Spark straight out of the coil is very dangerous.
Old 06-29-2016, 08:57 AM

1989 Camaro. It was starting, but didn't sound right, slower. I knew something was wrong, but not what. the ignition switch went out in 97. They charged me 250,00 back then. But it quit all at once back then.
They do normally quit all at once. Another thing to check (If you have a aoutomatic) would be the nuteral safety switch. Sometimes those will go bad.

Was the car was still able to crank but was just slower? or, did it not crank at all?
Old 06-29-2016, 09:27 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1990 RS, 2002 Chev Silverado
Engine: 305

The car cranks fine. No ignition. I have fuel at the carb.
Old 06-29-2016, 09:50 AM

So, it cranks but will not run at all? No sputters or backfires? a few things to start off with. If you have a timing light hook it up to plug 1 then crank the car. If you get strobe you have spark to some degree. If there is no spark the easiest place to start would be the coil. You can take the coil wire off at the distributor and hold the end near a metal source (firewall, intake, ect.) Note: be very careful if you should choose to test it that way. Spark straight out of the coil is very dangerous.
my Camaro did that. It would crank over, no fuel, but the fuel pump was working. Replaced the distributer and problem fixed.. No grounding signal going to the computer, therefore no signal to the injectors
Old 06-29-2016, 09:51 AM

They do normally quit all at once. Another thing to check (If you have a aoutomatic) would be the nuteral safety switch. Sometimes those will go bad.

Was the car was still able to crank but was just slower? or, did it not crank at all?
just recently it was sounding slower, and not for long
Old 06-29-2016, 04:12 PM

I have a 1990 rs it want start i turn the key no security lite just brake light comes on i replaced computer starter battery and its auto tranny but when i turn the key nothin happens.....the lights come on air wrks im lost im spendin money and not fixing problem help me please
Old 06-29-2016, 04:36 PM

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
Car: 92 RS / 90 IROC-Z
Engine: 305 / 350
Transmission: Auto
Axle/Gears: Non-Posi / Posi - Both GU2 - 2.73

Cole225, did you by chance read the entire thread? I'm far from a supreme member or an ASE/GM or any other kind of automotive tech (actually a newbie myself) but I am on my second ThirdGen, and when I experienced this with my first ThirdGen (92RS) it was the VATS. I personally had to wire up a By-Pass. If you replaced the ECM (Computer) did you get the VATS Keys that came with the car the ECM was taken from? I ask because I was told the VATS info was stored in the ECM if this is true and you've replaced yours but are using original keys w/ their own VATS resistance value it could be conflicting as the Key isn't giving the resistance the ECM will recognize to even engage the starter to crank the motor. Just my
Old 06-29-2016, 05:29 PM

get under the car and attach a wire to the purple lead on your starter. It is the only small one and is separate. Run the wire inside the car and put a test light on it. Then turn the car to start. It is supposed to light, if not the starter isn't being actuated. That purple wire comes back inside the car and under the shifter. If the shifter is in anything other than park or neutral, the current won't go thru. That switch can go out.
Old 08-15-2016, 06:39 PM

Car: '92 Firebird
Engine: 3.1L V6 (for now)
Transmission: Borg Warner T5
Re: HELP! My Firebird won't start!

So, similar problem as everyone else. Nothing I've read has helped me, so I'll detail my issue and hopefully someone has an idea that will work...

I was having starting issues, so I replaced (in order) the starter, ignition relay, and ignition switch. In the process I also bypassed VATS and determined the neutral switch is good. Turned out to be the ignition switch. Drove for 2 weeks with no problem whatsoever. Then yesterday I start having the same issues as before: turn the key and all the dash lights come on as normal; I hear a clicking noise that I assume to be the solenoid; the car doesn't start, or even crank. If I keep trying, after a few turns of the key it will eventually fire up....so far. It did the same thing before and then eventually stopped starting altogether. But I can still push start it all day long. Also, I JUST changed the battery and it's still not starting.

So, aside from wiring up a start button (which is sounding better by the day), what do I do? how do I legitimately fix this? Somebody, please help!

P.S. I've got a '92 Bird with a 3.1.
Old 08-15-2016, 07:10 PM

did you replace the negative cable?
Old 08-15-2016, 07:15 PM

Car: '92 Firebird
Engine: 3.1L V6 (for now)
Transmission: Borg Warner T5

did you replace the negative cable?
No, I didn't even think of it. Is there a reason I should?
Old 08-15-2016, 07:56 PM

I had mine go bad, it corroded on the inside. Everything lights up, but it won't start, only 12 bucks, you can spend a fortune when these go out. May consider replacing both, but for sure the negative
Old 09-02-2016, 06:51 PM

1984 camaro z28

My camaro won't start I replaced the spark plugs, spark plug wired, distributor, battery, and starter. Bought a fuel pump and pulled out the assembly but there's no fuel pump on it there a black cap at the bottom of tank from previous fuel pump I believe. My camaro has carburetor and I'm not big with the mechanics or the knowledge of my car. She doesn't crank or sound like fuel is getting to the engine/carburetor the fan just turns and that's it sometimes there a clicking.
Old 09-02-2016, 07:27 PM

ignition switch?
Old 09-02-2016, 09:36 PM

Car: 92 Firebird Formula
Engine: 5.0 tbi
Transmission: 700r4/shift-kit
Axle/Gears: 4.11/posi

Originally Posted by imeantdirtie
Any help would be greatly appreciated..thanks in advance!

My 91 RS won't start. I put in the key, turn it, I hear the fuel pump, then i go to start it, and nothing happens. Im not sure, but sometimes I think i hear a slight slight click....but like i said im not sure. I just replaced the battery and the starter.The battery is charged ( i checked) and the starter is good ( i jumped it). Any suggestions?

Someone suggested the theft deterrent (starter enabling) relay.....but I cant find tis location in the car. Does anyone know where it is??

thanks!
My 85 T/A did the same thing ,see if your starter wires run through a metal tube to protect them from exhaust .I found a broken wire half way up the tube
Old 09-11-2016, 10:54 PM

Help i have a 1990 rs and was driving fine and hit a bump and it died andcwouldnt star i turn key get full headlights dash lights and door ajar chime but no pwr windows no guages and no crank no sound at all. I checked the battery and cables and gound the positive red somehow hit the block and stuck to itd i removed it from the block the battery tested good tried to jump it with another car and nothing checked my grounds and connections and fuseabke link. What could it be?

Last edited by U.n. Owen; 09-12-2016 at 11:59 AM.
Old 01-24-2022, 11:23 AM

OK I will try jumping it and see what happens with it thanks
Old 03-09-2023, 06:18 AM

I got my brothers car when he passed away I don’t know much about cars we just had it towed to the shop yesterday it’s a zf 1985 I have no idea if it’s timing I tried turning the key it sounds like it wants to start but it doesn’t. Any comments will help I don’t want to get screwed just because I’m a girl. He wanted the car to run so that’s my plan but to be honest I don’t know to much about cars 😓
Old 03-09-2023, 07:51 AM
Supreme Member

Received 151 Likes on 111 Posts
Car: 1991 BandittII Firebird
Engine: 5.7 HSR
Axle/Gears: 3.27 9 bolt

Originally Posted by paulandjess
I got my brothers car when he passed away I don’t know much about cars we just had it towed to the shop yesterday it’s a zf 1985 I have no idea if it’s timing I tried turning the key it sounds like it wants to start but it doesn’t. Any comments will help I don’t want to get screwed just because I’m a girl. He wanted the car to run so that’s my plan but to be honest I don’t know to much about cars 😓
Welcome to TGO,
A Z-28? Do you have pictures of the cars engine compartment?
Your issue could be a number of things, If the motor is turning over when you turn the key that means more than likely the battery and starter are working as they should, so the other issues with starting could be fuel and ignition.
Fuel pump, if it's an 85 Z-28 then it's probably a Tune Port Injection fuel injection car, when you turn the key to on, not trying to start it just turning the key to where your dash lights come on, do you hear a buzzing from the back of the car? This would be the electric fuel pump priming the fuel system, if you don't then it could be a bad fuel pump, afuel pump relay or a fuse that powers these. Now, considering the car is almost 40 years old it's possible that someone switched the fuel delivery system over to a carburetor, if so the mechanical fuel pump is on the pass. side of the motor towards the front near the bottom of the motor, if it's a mechanical pump you would need to remove the fuel line at the carburetor while turning the key to start to see if there is fuel coming out of the hose that was disconnected from the carburetor. If fuel is flowing out then you probably have a good pump.
Ignition, if it's an 85 Z-28 then it's probably got a large cap HEI distributor, which is located at the back of the engine near the firewall, it's where all of the spark plug wires are going from the cyclinder head, the ignition coil is on top of the distributor, if the coil is bad this would prevent the car from starting, the wires that supply power to the coil could also be a cause why the car wont start, are the wires loose, does the coil have wires plugged in to it? The ignition switch and it's associated wiring which is located on the steering column under the dashboard could also cause the car not to start if it's bad.
The ECM aka the computer and it's associated wiring could also be the reason the car wont start, it's an intracule part that manages the fuel delivery and ignition, it's located under the dashboard on the Pass. side.
As a father of a 20 something y/o girl I've tried to make her aware of some basics of cars in hopes to at least maybe she'll recognize that someone is trying to be untrustworthy about her vehicle, unfortunately finding an honest mechanic is like finding an honest attorney, you just don't know if you got a good one until it'd to late.