Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

location of the fuel filter

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2008, 05:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1987 camaro LT
Engine: 350, L98 Heads, HSR
Transmission: TH350
Axle/Gears: 12 Bolt 33 spline 3.55 posi
location of the fuel filter

hello i would like to know were the fuel filter is. lately my car is having problems starting every once and a while, today i had problems and was almost stranded at school. anyway my car is an 87 LT but it has a transplanted 92 305 TPI LB9 engine. the fuel pump is running but the only thing i can think of is the filter. the distrubutor has a history of some problems so thats next on the check list, but for now i would like to check the fuel filter. if anyone else has had the same problem any advice would be great!
Old 10-02-2008, 07:22 PM

Re: location of the fuel filter

On my 1989 305 FI Vin E (TBI) the fuel filter is located under the car, near the driver side rear wheel. It is tucked up under there just in front of the fuel tank area. The line from the fuel tank (source) is on the wheel side and the line to the engine (destination) faces toward the middle of the car. A replacement fuel filter must allow flow in this direction.

Keep in mind that there is a small rubber hose that is inside the fuel tank that couples the fuel pump to the hard line that exits the fuel tank. If that hose develops a 'split' it will allow fuel to be pumped right back into the fuel tank which reduces the fuel pressure to the fuel injectors. This happened on my car. The fuel pump was fine so I just obtained the correct type of hose (which meets the SAE 30R10 standard for 'submersed' hose use) from NAPA (designated 'H213') and two new hose clamps.

You might want to install a fuel pressure gauge in your fuel line make sure your fuel pressure is really the issue before you get involved in dealing with the fuel sender and related parts. I cut an access hatch and made a hatch cover as discussed in other threads to perform my repair.

Last edited by CamaroRider; 10-03-2008 at 09:23 AM.
Old 10-02-2008, 08:06 PM

Car: 1987 camaro LT
Engine: 350, L98 Heads, HSR
Transmission: TH350
Axle/Gears: 12 Bolt 33 spline 3.55 posi

thanks, to late to check it out tonight, tommorow im gonna go look for it thanks for the info
Old 10-02-2008, 08:13 PM
Supreme Member

Received 56 Likes on 39 Posts
Car: 87 TA clone
Engine: supercharged 5.3 LS
Transmission: bullet proof 2004R
Axle/Gears: ford 8.8, 3.55 gears

its the same on the TPI models... same spot on my 86 ta with a 305TPI and my 87 formula 350TPI. get a fuel gauge on the fuel rail and make sure ur pressure is 43.5psi if not u need an adjustable fuel pressure regulator to set correct fuel pressure. i would do the fuel filter just as an upkeep... i would do fuel filters every 15,000 or so. most do it every 3-5 oil changes. i would also throw in some fuel injector cleaner for the injectors at every 2 or 3 oil changes.

is the SAE-30R9 the non submursable verson of fuel injection hose that can be used correct? thats how im gona connect my hard line to my HSR. my new walbro255lph high pressure pump comes with new 5/16" fuel injection hose in the package... about 5 inches with 2 hose clamps. but i dont kno if its submerssable...
quick question is there a reason why the fuel filter is positioned this close to the tank? im gona be running new fuel and brake lines and i wanted to pick a better spot for the fuel filter maybe in the engine bay but im not sure why GM put the filters so close to the tank. i kno on carbed applicaitons it needs gravity to push the fuel through the filter but on EFI the gas is forced through the filter at high pressures.... also i noticed that the fuel line and brake lines are never run above the source... brake lines arent run so there height ever exceeds the master cylinder but i believe the fuel rails on the TPI are higher than the gas tank slightly.