Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!
View Poll Results: Will AWG 7 Be Enough?
Yes, Go for it!
0%
No, you need a bigger one.
100.00%
Voters: 3. You may not vote on this poll

Starter Wire (size?)

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2008, 09:10 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: 1989 IROC-Z
Engine: 350 TPI
Transmission: Th700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.27
Starter Wire (size?)

Hi all!

Thinking of adding one extra + cable from the battery to the starter, just for extra juice. And I just bought this cable :

DLS, Power Line LC-OFC Copper Tinned AWG 7 = 10 SQMM

Will that be enoght to handle the juice when cranking ? or do i need a thicker cable ? Also, would this cable be good using as an extra ground to the block ?

been searching around but not found any good thread mentioning wire thickness.

So Will it work well or will it melt ?
Old 10-05-2008, 10:13 AM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 1988 Trans Am GTA
Engine: 350 4BBL
Transmission: 700R4
Re: Starter Wire (size?)

If it is an additional wire, it won't hurt anything. If the engine is stock (compression) with a good starter, the factory cable by itself is more than adequate to start the engine in 0° F weather. If you feel the need to add a cable, you will probably be masking a problem that needs to be addressed (weak starter, cable or block ground). If the stock cable has a problem and goes open, the 7ga wire will go up in smoke because it has less than half the load carrying capacity by itself.
If you were starting say, a big block engine or a highly modified SBC with high compression, I would say a bigger cable would be needed.
The stock cables work fine on my 11.1:1 350 with a double-shunt starter from a BBC, and this starter pulls even more amps than the stock one.
Old 10-05-2008, 10:33 AM

The starter is a brand new hitatchi 1.4kW.
The extra cable where just for extra support (the car works fine but I thought it wouldnt hurt getting one extra powerline..)

But Would the 7 awg be enough for Ground then ? If I add 1 exta ground from battery negative to block (thats not a dum idea todo, then youre now you got real good grounds).. Or do I need a thicker one there to ?

And if so, what size of cable do I need ?

Thanks for your response Supervisor42
Old 10-05-2008, 11:04 AM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by Theking
Or do I need a thicker one there to ?

And if so, what size of cable do I need ?

Thanks for your response Supervisor42
If you add an extra cable to the positive side, the extra amperage traveling down it will need additional path back to negative to realize it's full potential.
Just be careful routing, armoring, and securing the additional positive wire to keep it out of trouble. If it were to short out, it is big enough to cause a dandy fire.
Starters actually run on about 9 volts and are designed to expect the voltage drop that occurs in the cables.
If additional cables are added, the starter will be able to crank the engine faster because it will get 10 volts instead of 9.
Drag racers sometimes use a 16 volt battery because they can't get bigger cables to the starter.
Old 10-05-2008, 12:59 PM

Oki thanks for the input, I wont intall any extra cable on the + side then.
I let it be as it is. But I really want an extra ground from the negative (-) batterypole to the block, will that cable be fine there or is it to small even for ground ?
Old 10-05-2008, 07:22 PM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 75 Beast
Engine: 383 +EBL Flash
Axle/Gears: 4.11 with 33"

Hey King

I run OO AWG welder rated wire from battery to starter main terminal. This stuff is ultra flexible and has heavy duty jacket. OO AWG wire has 0.3648 inch diameter which is equivalent 9.26mm diameter metric wire. I run Denso equipped mini starter and I have no issues with voltage drops, hot soaks, etc. Yes, I know it is an over kill, but after working on boat's diesel engines it kinda grows on you...

//RF
Old 10-06-2008, 08:37 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by Theking
Oki thanks for the input, I wont intall any extra cable on the + side then.
I let it be as it is. But I really want an extra ground from the negative (-) batterypole to the block, will that cable be fine there or is it to small even for ground ?
If it is an additional cable it will be fine.
Old 10-06-2008, 09:21 PM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1987 IROC-Z Camaro
Engine: L98 5.7L TPI
Transmission: 700-R4
Axle/Gears: 3.27 BW

7 Gauge is pretty small when you're talking about improving. The 0 gauge welding cable is pretty cheap, and you can just wrap a piece of red electrical tape on each end of the positive cable and leave the other wire black.

Basically, what you're wanting to do is 1/3 of The Big Three. You replace the negative to body, positive to alternator, and engine to body wires with much larger gauge than factory (0 gauge welding cable) and it eliminates most ground and power problems. Can also eliminate the need for a capacitor in high-perf audio.